Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 66447 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #810 on: November 25, 2023, 12:59:27 PM »
How do you think NFL pay cuts work?

While a restructure happens, I suspect it would work like Carl Lawsons and Jordan Whiteheads, hey redid their contracts to take a lower salary. So yes it would be a restructure (which can be done annually) but their total dollars earned this year would decrease, or we would cut them.

JFM will be traded to get us capital back or to try and add into a deal for Davante Adams. Mosely will probably ask to be cut rather than take less money. I have no idea what Laken would do. Uzamoh doesn’t get a choice cut his derriere in the tunnel after week 17.
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #811 on: November 25, 2023, 01:36:22 PM »
While a restructure happens, I suspect it would work like Carl Lawsons and Jordan Whiteheads, hey redid their contracts to take a lower salary. So yes it would be a restructure (which can be done annually) but their total dollars earned this year would decrease, or we would cut them.

JFM will be traded to get us capital back or to try and add into a deal for Davante Adams. Mosely will probably ask to be cut rather than take less money. I have no idea what Laken would do. Uzamoh doesn’t get a choice cut his derriere in the tunnel after week 17.

Well put. 

Carl Lawson had a choice.  Stay here and make less than you would have or get cut and make even less than that as a free agent.  In other words, we'll pay you more than anyone else to stay, but not as much as you would have made.  Take it or leave it.  He took it.  Only difference is that Carl Lawson had no dead cap if he got cut, so he had less leverage.

I agree about Mosley.  He could still make good money elsewhere.  The question is how much.  Also, how motivated is he to stay here or to leave here.  He might be willing to take less money to get outta here or to stay depending on how he feels about the team.   He has a big cap # for his age though, it's hard to look at.  He's arguably still worth it though, even at his age.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #812 on: November 25, 2023, 01:44:13 PM »
Well put. 

Carl Lawson had a choice.  Stay here and make less than you would have or get cut and make even less than that as a free agent.  In other words, we'll pay you more than anyone else to stay, but not as much as you would have made.  Take it or leave it.  He took it.  Only difference is that Carl Lawson had no dead cap if he got cut, so he had less leverage.

I agree about Mosley.  He could still make good money elsewhere.  The question is how much.  Also, how motivated is he to stay here or to leave here.  He might be willing to take less money to get outta here or to stay depending on how he feels about the team.   He has a big cap # for his age though, it's hard to look at.  He's arguably still worth it though, even at his age.

If I were Mosely I’d want to get out of here, but he is the leader of a defense that is special/spectacular. That might mean something to him, and it might mean something to have sat through all the dark times, just to walk away when we have Rodgers ready to theoretically help us compete.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #813 on: November 25, 2023, 02:09:23 PM »
I don't see why anyone would be doing this team favors with their money. Especially since all of these guys have guaranteed void years for the next two or three seasons after their contracts are up.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #814 on: November 25, 2023, 02:19:22 PM »
I don't see why anyone would be doing this team favors with their money. Especially since all of these guys have guaranteed void years for the next two or three seasons after their contracts are up.

Which is why we would have to follow through on the threat to cut them if they don’t want to. It’s not a favor, it’s a choice.

You can either

- stay here, but make less money than your current contract, which might still be more than you’ll get elsewhere

- get cut, and take your chances that you can make more money elsewhere

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #815 on: November 25, 2023, 02:24:41 PM »
Which is why we would have to follow through on the threat to cut them if they don’t want to. It’s not a favor, it’s a choice.

You can either

- stay here, but make less money than your current contract, which might still be more than you’ll get elsewhere

- get cut, and take your chances that you can make more money elsewhere

Yes, we are agreeing with each other. You don't need to explain the idea behind the process again.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #816 on: November 25, 2023, 06:39:42 PM »
Painfully true lol

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #817 on: November 25, 2023, 07:06:51 PM »
Painfully true lol

If this is somehow updateable for 2024… the world needs to burn

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #818 on: November 25, 2023, 08:05:18 PM »
If this is somehow updateable for 2024… the world needs to burn
I mean its very obvious you have a playoff mandate in 24 and burn it to the ground otherwise .

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #819 on: November 25, 2023, 08:15:40 PM »
I mean its very obvious you have a playoff mandate in 24 and burn it to the ground otherwise .

With the Jets? Of course. But I meant the entire world needs to burn if Jets fans have to watch an offense worse than this one next season

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #820 on: November 25, 2023, 08:27:33 PM »
With the Jets? Of course. But I meant the entire world needs to burn if Jets fans have to watch an offense worse than this one next season
If being colassally disappointed is your pre requisite for the end of civilization we all should've died years ago lol

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #821 on: November 26, 2023, 10:20:59 AM »
Hindsight is 20 20 blah blah

The WMD pick is just looking so bad.  Liked the prospect but it's clear they didn't plan on paying Huff and he's become a top 10 edge rusher in one offseason and JJ progressed.

Sure would be nice to have a 1st rd OL or especially WR considering that class .

Especially since WMD gets what 10 snaps a game and was a healthy scratch nearly the first  month lol

JFM needs to be cut or traded for cap relief and get him more snaps if he's ever gonna develop

For tbe record I see an Aldon Smith ceiling in WMD but was also butthurt at the position given tbe capital

Gotta actually utilize it next yr lol
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 10:35:18 AM by Coach K »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #822 on: November 26, 2023, 10:41:30 AM »
If we don't re-sign Huff, WMD will be a good signing.  He's flashing every game in limited time.  I really think he slides into Huff's spot in 2024.  I don't think Huff is here next year.

Jermaine Johnson didn't do much last year, no one is saying that's a bad signing this year.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #823 on: November 26, 2023, 10:49:36 AM »
If we don't re-sign Huff, WMD will be a good signing.  He's flashing every game in limited time.  I really think he slides into Huff's spot in 2024.  I don't think Huff is here next year.

Jermaine Johnson didn't do much last year, no one is saying that's a bad signing this year.
I'm a fsu fan I was mad they didn't give JJ wnligj snaps last yr . Jj is a beast this yr

Nobody ever bashed drafting JJ lol

I've made it clear I like WMD. But when you go all in on Rodgers with a limited window this is what you get

And letting Huff walk will make him look dumber because you had your WMD on the roster already lol

That's my point .

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #824 on: November 26, 2023, 10:52:54 AM »
Douglas drafts BPA every year.  If WMD was at the top of their draft board, then he was the pick all along (once the OL run started).  Maybe Rex Hogan is the problem.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: