Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 66463 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Been bummed out lately by what a missed opportunity it was to not draft a QB in 2017, or even McCaffrey who would have been a huge boon to our future QB.

Seriously, we had Josh McCown and had already seen a year of Hackenberg showing nothing at all, and Bryce Petty - what was the hesitation to draft another QB high?

I don't think it's a certainty that Mahomes or Watson would have done as poorly as Darnold has here, I think it's a Jets fan coping mechanism to insist good players would be bad if they were Jets.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:24:12 PM by Badger »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Been bummed out lately by what a missed opportunity it was to not draft a QB in 2017, or even McCaffrey who would have been a huge boon to our future QB.

Seriously, we had Josh McCown and had already seen a year of Hackenberg showing nothing at all, and Bryce Petty - what was the hesitation to draft another QB high?

I don't think it's a certainty that Mahomes or Watson would have done as poorly as Darnold has here, I think it's a Jets fan coping mechanism to insist good players would be bad if they were Jets.

Completely agree.

At the same token, I do think Lamar would have probably failed here because I didn't think we had a creative coaching staff to take advantage of his skillet.

It is why I think if we draft Fields or Lance we need a creative offensive coach. Lawrence and Wilson are more scheme agnostic.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

At the same token, I do think Lamar would have probably failed here because I didn't think we had a creative coaching staff to take advantage of his skillet.

Yeah, it does apply in some cases, but we have a tendency to use that for every player.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
2017 was basically a repeat of 2014, we took a 2nd round QB the year before and passed on multiple starting caliber QBs.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
2017 was basically a repeat of 2014, we took a 2nd round QB the year before and passed on multiple starting caliber QBs.

Which is a huge reason why I hope we either take the QB at #2, or we pass on the class altogether. The worst thing we could do is take Kyle Trask in round 2 to compete with Sam this year, let Sam walk next year after we go 4-12 and are picking 4th in 2022, and have to decide between Sam Howell or sticking with Trask.

Either go get the QB that you really believe in, or build the roster in the best way you can.
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Which is a huge reason why I hope we either take the QB at #2, or we pass on the class altogether. The worst thing we could do is take Kyle Trask in round 2 to compete with Sam this year, let Sam walk next year after we go 4-12 and are picking 4th in 2022, and have to decide between Sam Howell or sticking with Trask.

Either go get the QB that you really believe in, or build the roster in the best way you can.
If you can self-evaluate, it shouldn't be as much of a problem.  They should have realized Hack sucked. Geno at least showed a few flashes in games and won 8 games. Drafting with Hack and trusting him was inexcusable.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau

It's kind of a moot point

If Joe Douglas was GM at the time sure, but he wasn't.

Mac proved fairly regularly that he made pretty shitty roster decisions

Now all we can do is hope Joe Douglas knows what he's doing

If he can get value for the 2nd pick, or draft a tackle capable of flirting with being all pro on an annual basis for the next 15 years, I'd be happy with it.

Sure drafting the next Mahomes would be nice, but we should trust his judgment

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
How high is Devonte Smith going? Him and another OT would make life easier for any QB.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS

You could have just let it die. It would have cost you nothing to just let it die. What I would give to not see this thread bumped for one week.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS

GIMMIE A HELL YEAH!
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Lock this and the Curious Gase thread.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
the "d" in dcm stands for dopamine, not dope
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Lock this and the Curious Gase thread.

No way.

This should be bumped sporadically. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: