Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 66518 times)

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #615 on: December 20, 2020, 11:11:30 PM »
God is dead

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #616 on: December 21, 2020, 05:24:56 AM »
God is dead

Even if God is dead, you’re still gonna kiss his derriere!

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #617 on: December 21, 2020, 06:45:27 AM »
Woke up this morning....still pretty sour.

I hate this franchise.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #618 on: December 21, 2020, 06:52:57 AM »
Woke up this morning....still pretty sour.

I hate this franchise.
I already felt nothing before the game, so no harm here.

JE:

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #622 on: December 23, 2020, 05:08:07 PM »
we're guaranteed the second pick from here on out so just gonna watch and see what happens.

if lil dick teams like the jets and bengals can beat the rams and steelers respectively, why can't the jags win a game this week or the next?

the dream is not yet dead

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #623 on: December 23, 2020, 05:16:40 PM »
we're guaranteed the second pick from here on out so just gonna watch and see what happens.

if lil dick teams like the jets and bengals can beat the rams and steelers respectively, why can't the jags win a game this week or the next?

the dream is not yet dead

If we finish with the same record as Jacksonville, we will get the first pick in the second round (Pick #33) so we need to continue to tank no matter what.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #626 on: December 27, 2020, 08:48:23 AM »
I'd rather be in our situation than many others.

Jets: 
-Maybe getting a new QB, always interesting
-New coach and coaching staff
-Lots of valuable draft picks and a lot of cap space to start rebuilding
-Slate fairly clean regarding talent.  We have some dead money to finish paying Tru, Bell, and Enunwa in 2021, but the players we have left are either important pieces or easily cuttable with minimal impact.

Now think about teams like the Lions and Vikings with these older QBs who are taking up huge amounts of salary cap, while going nowhere.  The QBs are good enough not to bail on, but the fans are probably tired of them.  They are stuck in purgatory.  Especially the Lions.  Can you imagine knowing every year you have to watch Stafford and his weird head put up a bunch of meaningless stats on the way to 5-8 wins every year.  He'll always play well enough to keep you out of contention for any top draft pick, but not good enough to make a playoff run.

Look at the Bengals. They have this young, obviously franchise QB who exploded his knee and probably won't start the year playing in 2021.  They'll have this young, budding team with some Tyrod Taylor-type manning the ship for half a season. 

At least we have something interesting to look forward to.  The Lions have an OK, overpaid QB that is just good enough and paid enough that they don't want to quit on him.  It's like a dead-end marriage.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:50:10 AM by bojanglesman »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #627 on: December 27, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »
I'd rather be in our situation than many others.

Jets: 
-Maybe getting a new QB, always interesting
-New coach and coaching staff
-Lots of valuable draft picks and a lot of cap space to start rebuilding
-Slate fairly clean regarding talent.  We have some dead money to finish paying Tru, Bell, and Enunwa in 2021, but the players we have left are either important pieces or easily cuttable with minimal impact.

Now think about teams like the Lions and Vikings with these older QBs who are taking up huge amounts of salary cap, while going nowhere.  The QBs are good enough not to bail on, but the fans are probably tired of them.  They are stuck in purgatory.  Especially the Lions.  Can you imagine knowing every year you have to watch Stafford and his weird head put up a bunch of meaningless stats on the way to 5-8 wins every year.  He'll always play well enough to keep you out of contention for any top draft pick, but not good enough to make a playoff run.

Look at the Bengals. They have this young, obviously franchise QB who exploded his knee and probably won't start the year playing in 2021.  They'll have this young, budding team with some Tyrod Taylor-type manning the ship for half a season. 

At least we have something interesting to look forward to.  The Lions have an OK, overpaid QB that is just good enough and paid enough that they don't want to quit on him.  It's like a dead-end marriage.
Ever since Mims came back and started playing well, I've had a lot of optimism for next year. I'm not saying playoffs, but I thought with Trevor Lawrence, we would have a ton to look forward to next season. Without Trevor Lawrence, we still have a lot to look forward to, but it definitely takes a hit.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #628 on: December 27, 2020, 09:14:19 AM »
We are unquestionably a better job than almost everyone that’s going to open this year. Unless ownership is a bigger factor than we think (and the owners are as lowly regarded by NFLers as our fans think of them) for all the reasons you mentioned.

We are better than the following

Detroit - they have no exciting assets and are a mess
Atlanta - this team is 1-2 years away from a reset due to age of key players. But with solid moves they have a small window to be good, but no chance to “be great” and compete for a title before blowing it up
Houston - the damage done by BOB is going to prevent the team building for a while. But you have the QB, unfortunately that’s about it
Chi - good team, horrid QB play with no means to upgrade it
Bengals - again you have the QB, who just had a major injury and nothing else

Those in the arguement for best job this summer
Jets - for those Bo stated

LAC - have the QB, and the weapons at WR but the defense is a disaster and the OL is far worse. With limited capital to upgrade over the next few years being the biggest negatives

Jags - currently winning the Lawrence sweepstakes have one more year of big capital (money and picks) to build with. Everyone will be on the same timeline (GM, HC and QB assuming Marrone is fired). Owner has a long leash and is patient. Major downsides: small market, team frequently plays in London and may be primed to move their long term.

To me those are the 3 best jobs. Whomever of the Jets/Jags gets Lawrence is the most desirable spot unless you don’t wanna deal with the London thing. To me, 2nd is the loser of the Lawrence sweepstakes given how much ability is their to overturn the roster quickly. But the Chargers and Herbert are a huge draw. My guess is Bienemy ends up with the Chargers, and I don’t think he’s a guy the Jets/Jags are going to be fighting over anyways.
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #629 on: December 27, 2020, 09:56:19 AM »
There will a lot of teams in the market to draft a QB this year.  It's way early to know where QBs will be on the draft board, but going under the assumption that we don't land the #1 pick, it isn't out of the realm of possibility for us to trade out of the #2 pick, whether that is ultimately a QB or not.

Tags: