Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 66523 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Tannenbaum was the GM for Mangini and Rex. We've had this conversation a million times.

Mangini built his oline in Cleveland (J.Thomas/Alex Mack) the same we he did in NY (Mangold/Brick)......that's not a coincidence.  Tannenbaum is a freaking accountant, Mangini was the voice in that war room.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
It was nice getting to the AFCCG in back to back years....but you know what....nobody gives a freak about that, especially 10 years later. 

You brought up Rex, not me. The last time we weren't terrible or mediocre was when Rex and Revis were here, and you were all in on getting rid of both.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
You brought up Rex, not me. The last time we weren't terrible or mediocre was when Rex and Revis were here, and you were all in on getting rid of both.

Rex had to go....it was true 6 years ago, it's true now. 

EDIT: it's almost like the last 6 years (4 in NY, 2 in Buff) of Rex's coaching career doesn't resonate in your brain....it's astonishing.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Rex had to go....it was true 6 years ago, it's true now. 

You got your wish, kudos to you. It's gone so well since then.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
lol...dude, Revis on his way out.  If we didn't trade him, we would've got nothing more than a 3rd round compensatory pick the following year.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
lol...dude, Revis on his way out.  If we didn't trade him, we would've got nothing more than a 3rd round compensatory pick the following year.

We got nothing anyway.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
You got your wish, kudos to you. It's gone so well since then.

i didn't want Bowles or Gase....thanks for the kudos though, my perceptions are quite accurate.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
We got nothing anyway.

like i said....some facts don't resonate in your brain.  We know that now. 

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
So Mangini was a good coach then? He followed the exact same trajectory with less success in a shorter amount of time.

Mangini and Tannenbaum put together a lot of the better pieces of the team that Rex would later win with, and that he might have won with had Favre either not gotten injured, not concealed his injury, or got benched for his excrement performance in the latter half of the season.

He wasn’t that good but I don’t think he would have been fired has it not been for the Favre season and him looking like an idiot in front of the entire team trying to motivate Gholston by waving around his combine numbers at practice.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
Mangini found himself fired because he pissed off Woody immediately after the Dolphins game.

Nothing more, nothing less.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Mangini built his oline in Cleveland (J.Thomas/Alex Mack) the same we he did in NY (Mangold/Brick)......that's not a coincidence.  Tannenbaum is a freaking accountant, Mangini was the voice in that war room.

I think the Rex years kind of reinforce this. Gholston was a miss during Mangini but the rest of those draft picks weren’t as pee poor as the Rex era drafts, although only having four picks in 2007 reduced the risk of shitty players.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
We also added a lot of players from 2008 to 2010 when we went 11-5. Sanchez, Greene, Edwards, Holmes, LT on offense, Scott, Taylor, Leonhard and Cromartie on defense, it's not like it was the same team. Tannenbaum's first two drafts got us Brick, Mangold, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Revis and Harris, so yeah, of course we kept them.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
REXSANCHEZTANNYREXSANCHEZTANNYREXSANCHEZTANNYREXSANCHEZTANNYREXSANCHEZTANNYREXSANCHEZTANNYREXSANCHEZTANNYREXSANCHEZTANNY

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
I think the Rex years kind of reinforce this. Gholston was a miss during Mangini but the rest of those draft picks weren’t as pee poor as the Rex era drafts, although only having four picks in 2007 reduced the risk of shitty players.

Mangini was also impervious to the 2nd round curse (ie David Harris).

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
We also added a lot of players from 2008 to 2010 when we went 11-5. Sanchez, Greene, Edwards, Holmes, LT on offense, Scott, Taylor, Leonhard and Cromartie on defense, it's not like it was the same team. Tannenbaum's first two drafts got us Brick, Mangold, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Revis and Harris, so yeah, of course we kept them.

1. 2008 was a Mangini year.

2. We were talking specifically about Rex’s issues with the draft but I’ll bite.

Drafting Greene was nothing to brag about.

LT, Braylon, and Holmes were partially effective signings but mostly turned out to be two season rentals that happened to coincide with those first two seasons. Braylon talked his way off of the team and Holmes tried to burn the whole place down to get out. We haven’t made the playoffs since LT’s first season here so that’s fun.

Jason Taylor was not an impact signing, just more evidence of Rex’s habit of bringing in players who either played well for him or against him but were at that point past their prime.

Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, and Cromartie were good signings who were kept on longer than they should have been. Cromartie was incredibly frustrating because of that one productive season in Arizona that convinced the FO to re-sign him only to watch him repeat
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 02:59:08 PM by CatoTheElder »

Tags: