Author Topic: The Witcher (Netflix series)  (Read 15715 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: The Witcher (Netflix series)
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2019, 11:37:21 PM »
I forget where I read it years ago, but it was "decided" a long time ago in American cinema that a British accent was the default for a "foreign" accent in fantasy and sci-fi.

Makes sense as to why all the characters writen by a guy from Bayonne are English.

Seriously, England isn't the only country with dragons and elves in their mythos. My favorite GOT character was Oberyn Martell for a reason.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2019, 07:15:14 AM »

This is my main gripe as well. It's well established in the books that once Geralt was awarded the title "of Rivia", he went out his way to learn and speak with a Rivian accent, yet Cavill still speaks the same as everyone else.

Also, why do the Nilfgaardians speak English? If they went out their way to make the Elven tongue non-English they could've done the same for the Black Ones aswell.

Nerd
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »
Makes sense as to why all the characters writen by a guy from Bayonne are English.

Seriously, England isn't the only country with dragons and elves in their mythos. My favorite GOT character was Oberyn Martell for a reason.

Totally agree, but it is what it is.

I don't know if anyone here ever watched the Showtime series "The Borgias" but that was set in Italy and everyone had an English accent.

It's weird, but well established that an English accent is the default "foreign" accent for Americans.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2019, 02:02:29 PM »
Watched the entire season on Saturday. Once I was able to get a handle on all the terms/setting, I was throughly entertained.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2019, 04:35:55 PM »
Not sure if it was just me

But I thought the first 7 episodes were awesome, thoroughly enjoyed it. Then the season finale was just a giant turd.

Felt like I was watching a bad action movie from the 80s without much going on with the story. If it was half an episode and things progressed in the second half that's one thing but it just felt like an episode full of nothing

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2019, 06:01:36 PM »
Again, permanent DCM mode must be painful.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »
This series was awesome. Better than Game Of Thrones, for me. More funbags and fighting, less throne room politics and people muttering to each other in damp looking castles.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2019, 02:15:22 PM »
Asking for a friend but do they show Cavill’s rooster?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2019, 02:46:17 PM »
Asking for a friend but do they show Cavill’s rooster?

No but he's still hot as freak in it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2019, 08:55:50 AM »
Pivotal battle involving the sorceresses of the Brotherhood trying to stop the Nilfgaardian advance. Ciri finally meets Geralt.

Nothing happened.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
I'm not at all familiar with the source material and I think the timeline could have been a little less confusing but I still really enjoyed it.  Also I've now got a hunchback fetish so that's nice.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm not at all familiar with the source material and I think the timeline could have been a little less confusing but I still really enjoyed it.  Also I've now got a hunchback fetish so that's nice.

Yen is hot AF.

Chalotra refused to use a body double.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2019, 01:51:18 PM »
Yen is hot AF.

Chalotra refused to use a body double.
She’s a JFIF 10
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
Pivotal battle involving the sorceresses of the Brotherhood trying to stop the Nilfgaardian advance. Ciri finally meets Geralt.

Nothing happened.

Except the battle wasnt really a battle, it was essentially a few cheesey moments of people using powers, kind of like what you'd see in an 80s action comedy movie.

And ciri meeting Geralt was like a 5 second thing.

The show was awesome, I just wasn't impressed by the last episode

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
Except the battle wasnt really a battle, it was essentially a few cheesey moments of people using powers, kind of like what you'd see in an 80s action comedy movie.

And ciri meeting Geralt was like a 5 second thing.

The show was awesome, I just wasn't impressed by the last episode

It was a few rogue sorceresses trying desperately to fend off an army of thousands. The Battle of Sodden Hill was a massacre for the mages in the books. I was happy with the adaptation.

As for Ciri meeting Geralt, I'm okay with it. It's not a cliffhanger, but it was a teaser for what's to come.

Tags: