Author Topic: The Joe Douglas semi-erect hog Garage  (Read 125059 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: The Joe Douglas semi-erect hog Garage
« Reply #2490 on: March 31, 2024, 03:10:20 PM »
I think if Joe Alt and Odunze both fell to us at 10...im leaning Alt.

This won't happen...but that's how I'd go if it did.
Disagree. I think Odunze is a better WR prospect than Alt is an OT prospect. And the need is greater.

If they take an OL, I would prefer it come after a trade down. If the top 3 WR are gone, I think the optimal solution is to trade down for a WR or OL.

We clearly need to address OT, but I don't think it has to be at 10. Drafting one at 10 is overkill for 2024, but obviously we need one in 2025, so I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2491 on: March 31, 2024, 03:48:10 PM »
We must have a solid swing tackle.  Doesn't have to be as good as the starters, but can't be bad.  Rodgers can cover up mediocre play, but bad play gets him injured. 

I'd say draft Fuaga and if Tyron gets hurt, move Moses to LT and Fuaga to RT.

The more I watch, the more I’m thinking Fautanu is better than every tackle except for Alt

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #2492 on: April 19, 2024, 09:48:16 AM »
Antwan V. Staley
@antwanstaley
Takeaways from Jets GM Joe Douglas' press conference:

- Sounds like they're open to selecting Georgia TE Brock Bowers. Douglas said the right "tight end can be a real weapon."

- Douglas didn't sound too convincing they would pick up Alijah Vera-Tucker's fifth-year option.

-Douglas called Haason Reddick an "electric presence."

According to Douglas, Zach Wilson is welcome to participate in the offseason program. He won't speculate on whether Wilson will be on the team in July.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2493 on: April 20, 2024, 06:54:51 AM »
I think the Jets gotta let it ride and pick up AVTs option

Of course JD likely won't be here next year so what's he care anyway

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2494 on: April 20, 2024, 07:21:26 AM »
I think the Jets gotta let it ride and pick up AVTs option

Of course JD likely won't be here next year so what's he care anyway
In b4 the 3 yr extension signed by JD
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2495 on: April 20, 2024, 08:34:07 AM »
dcm thinks we’ll suck?

Put the word out.  We’re back up, boys.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2496 on: April 20, 2024, 08:34:47 AM »
If we pick Fautanu or Fuaga, AVT’s option is not getting picked up.

Doesn’t meant we won’t re-sign him though.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2497 on: April 20, 2024, 09:55:36 AM »
If we pick it up, I believe it locks him in at about $15 million for 2025.  If we don't, the franchise tag for an OL will probably be about $24 million for 2025. 

If he plays well and doesn't get injured this year, I feel like that franchise tag value is too high to even use as a threat.  He would be the almost the highest paid OL in the league at that number and I think he knows we wouldn't pay him that.  So then you'd have to rely on him re-signing here because it's the best offer.

If he gets hurt again and misses significant time, you can just let him go and put $15 million towards either a new guard or something else if we drafted one this year.

Really it's the risk of paying him $15 million after getting hurt for the 3rd year in a row vs letting him walk after a full season of playing at an elite level.  I could see either argument honestly.  Maybe it depends on whether Douglas wants to pay ANY guard a top 5 salary.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2498 on: April 20, 2024, 10:31:14 AM »
I think the solution here is to try something similar to what the Packers did with Jordan Love.

Guarantee him $10 million for 2025 if he’s on the roster the first day of the league year in 2025, with incentives to raise it up to say $17.5 million for playing 17 games in 2024, earning pro bowl and all pro nods, and perhaps a writing into the contract that no franchise tag is allowed following the 2025 season.

Chances are we would let him walk at that point with Rodgers likely done, us needing to start forking over big money in the new deals to Sauce, GW JJ and Breece, let alone anyone else we need to sign at that point.
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2499 on: April 20, 2024, 10:41:06 AM »
I think the solution here is to try something similar to what the Packers did with Jordan Love.

Guarantee him $10 million for 2025 if he’s on the roster the first day of the league year in 2025, with incentives to raise it up to say $17.5 million for playing 17 games in 2024, earning pro bowl and all pro nods, and perhaps a writing into the contract that no franchise tag is allowed following the 2025 season.

Chances are we would let him walk at that point with Rodgers likely done, us needing to start forking over big money in the new deals to Sauce, GW JJ and Breece, let alone anyone else we need to sign at that point.

As much as I like AVT and hope we can keep him, as a gord I don't think he's worth paying a ton of money unless he is elite.  Like best in the league elite.  I'll say the same thing about Breece Hall in a year or 2.  Sure people will bitch about the Jets never keeping their own, but I think it really depends on the position they play and the ability to replace them.  Some positions are easier to replace with cheaper players than others.  Yeah it's great to have an elite player at any position, but there's a bigger gap in pay between an elite and a good guard than it's effect on the offensive line play as a whole.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2500 on: April 20, 2024, 10:48:59 AM »
As much as I like AVT and hope we can keep him, as a gord I don't think he's worth paying a ton of money unless he is elite.  Like best in the league elite.  I'll say the same thing about Breece Hall in a year or 2.  Sure people will bitch about the Jets never keeping their own, but I think it really depends on the position they play and the ability to replace them.  Some positions are easier to replace with cheaper players than others.  Yeah it's great to have an elite player at any position, but there's a bigger gap in pay between an elite and a good guard than it's effect on the offensive line play as a whole.

Which is why I think paying him 10 million to close out the Rodgers window is. It a bad play. Especially if we lock in the out of cutting him before the league year starts. If his play doesn’t warrant the money, he’s gone. If he does we have a strong stable piece we are excited to have on the line to make one last push next season. Then he leaves in 26 when it’s time to rebuild the QB room anyways

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2501 on: April 20, 2024, 10:54:56 AM »
Which is why I think paying him 10 million to close out the Rodgers window is. It a bad play. Especially if we lock in the out of cutting him before the league year starts. If his play doesn’t warrant the money, he’s gone. If he does we have a strong stable piece we are excited to have on the line to make one last push next season. Then he leaves in 26 when it’s time to rebuild the QB room anyways

I don't see any reason why AVT would want to sign that deal.  He has to do a lot just to get a couple of million more.  What safety does that deal provide him beyond what he would already have without signing it?  What if he gets hurt early and misses the majority of the year but is healthy before the league year starts?  We'd have to pay him a ton after getting hurt for the 3rd year in a row
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 10:56:35 AM by bojanglesman »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2502 on: April 20, 2024, 11:02:39 AM »
I don't see any reason why AVT would want to sign that deal.  He has to do a lot just to get a couple of million more.  What safety does that deal provide him beyond what he would already have without signing it?  What if he gets hurt early and misses the majority of the year but is healthy before the league year starts?  We'd have to pay him a ton after getting hurt for the 3rd year in a row

He doesn’t have to sign it. But if he takes it, he has another year on his deal for more money than he’s ever earned in his life in one year. If he plays well, he gets incentives for even more.

If he doesn’t take the deal and we have already declined the 5th year option, he runs the risk of getting hurt again and being a guy who gets $2-$3 million on the market because his injury risks are so severe and well documented.

So he has an option to be on himself and get a double digit millions in the town that drafted him, playing with one of the best QBs of all time to prove he deserves even more. Or he bets on himself to stay healthy and earn even more on the market next year. Recognizing if he doesn’t, he likely takes 2-3 seasons of salaries to get back to the $10 million he turned down.

He has to make a bet on himself either way, just how successful does he think he can be?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2503 on: April 20, 2024, 02:56:03 PM »
dcm thinks we’ll suck?

Put the word out.  We’re back up, boys.

You think we have to suck for JD to get fired?

This team was playoffs or just and JD got a mulligan because of the injury (which shitty OL was his fault)

Honestly JDs future rides on Rodgers playing at a high level, AND wanting to return (or not retire)

If Rodgers is mediocre next year, and we lose in the wildcard. Why the freak would you extend JD and give him another shot at figure out this QB's situation.

He whiffed on Darnold (keeping him) then majorly whiffed on Zach. If Rodgers isn't in the elite/MVP conversation next year Douglas has to be gone

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2504 on: April 20, 2024, 02:58:30 PM »
You think we have to suck for JD to get fired?

This team was playoffs or just and JD got a mulligan because of the injury (which shitty OL was his fault)

Honestly JDs future rides on Rodgers playing at a high level, AND wanting to return (or not retire)

If Rodgers is mediocre next year, and we lose in the wildcard. Why the freak would you extend JD and give him another shot at figure out this QB's situation.

He whiffed on Darnold (keeping him) then majorly whiffed on Zach. If Rodgers isn't in the elite/MVP conversation next year Douglas has to be gone

whiffed on Darnold? lol

he's a freaking stopgap QB for the Vikings.  I guess the Panthers and Niners whiffed on him too.

Tags: