Author Topic: The Joe Douglas semi-erect hog Garage  (Read 125092 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: The Joe Douglas semi-erect hog Garage
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2020, 09:12:04 PM »
Where did you hear/read/see that about the Wesco pick?

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2020, 09:15:16 PM »

Oh I was thinking there was an article with more details then just the photo
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2020, 09:16:10 PM »

There was stuff on Twitter at the time and maybe some articles/blurbs about the coaching staff just completely butting heads with Maccagnan during the draft process.

He basically kept them out of the loop for the most part.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2020, 10:12:55 PM »

JE told me this was no cause for concern in regards to Duffs job security so I think you’re mistaken
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2020, 10:14:00 PM »

More details: Mike Maccagnan got fired a month later because of how bad he was at drafting
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:15:59 PM by SixFeetDeep »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2020, 10:15:07 PM »
Imagine not being mentally capable of drafting players that fit into your coaches system

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2020, 01:10:08 AM »
I think that to some extent depends upon how committed you are to your coach. If you're in the situation we are you need to be selecting players who are a little more versatile; if you're Baltimore or Seattle then you can (and probably should) pretty much go as scheme-specific as you like.

He was here for 5 years and had Bowles for 4 of them? He should have had players that fit his scheme, how often did people come away from the draft scratching their head because the pick made absolutely no absolute. I just chalked that up to a "well he didn't draft who the poster X wanted" ,type of thing. No, the pick probably made absolutely no sense schematically because it was made with nothing other other than a round grade. Excrement, how many of the picks didn't make sense positionally either. That's a criminal offense for a GM.

MM, can eat a big bag of dicks. He effectively wasted 5 years of our lives.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:03:08 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2020, 06:18:47 AM »
- could be a reason why we decided to spend a 3rd rounder on jachai polite when just about no other team in the league would have done the same
Touche

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2020, 06:22:14 AM »
I get the feeling Duff would have drafted 12 linebackers if they were all good valued for their round. 

He went all out on his own version of BPA.
Someone forgot to tell him it's the best player based on your team's philosophy not the general grading of all players

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »
I get the feeling Duff would have drafted 12 linebackers if they were all good valued for their round. 

He went all out on his own version of BPA.
Someone forgot to tell him it's the best player based on your team's philosophy not the general grading of all players

Yes, he would have.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2020, 09:27:03 PM »
Baltimore 2000-2014

The Ravens did not draft a lot receivers when Douglas was a scout there from 2000-2014.

Travis Taylor, Mark Clayton, and Breshad Perriman were the only first round receivers.

Torrey Smith is the only other receiver worth a damn that Baltimore picked.  Smith was a second round pick.

Not much value placed on the position by Ozzie Newsome.

Chicago 2015-2016

Daniel Braverman (7th)

(Joe Douglas wasn't hired until after the Kevin White draft.  He was still in Baltimore for the Perriman pick.)   

Philly 2016-2019

2017 - Mack Hollins (4th) and Shelton Gibson (5th)
2018 - none
2019 - JJ Arcega-Whiteside (2nd)

---

Based off of this history, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't look to take a tackle or a cornerback in the first round.  Wideout just seem like a position that he values.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2020, 09:28:27 PM »
Think it highly depends on

(1) Who is on the board at 11
(2) How much he wants to establish his own philosophy

He learned from Baltimore + Philly but that doesn't mean he wants to do things exactly the same here.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2020, 09:31:27 PM »
Think it highly depends on

(1) Who is on the board at 11
(2) How much he wants to establish his own philosophy

He learned from Baltimore + Philly but that doesn't mean he wants to do things exactly the same here.

True, but it’s fair to assume that he learns from his mentors and will share similar philosophies, particularly early, and will grow into his own as time goes on
Need a new one for a new board...

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2020, 09:34:47 PM »
True, but it’s fair to assume that he learns from his mentors and will share similar philosophies, particularly early, and will grow into his own as time goes on

I don't know why that's the default assumption. All we can really glean about his preferences so far is that he would probably lean to building the trenches first, which was obviously going to be a priority regardless considering the state of the Jets OL before he got here + the Kalil signing.

We did give Perriman $8 million so it's not like he doesn't value WR - and the teams he was on not taking WR doesn't mean they didn't even value WR in the first round necessarily, it could have meant the board had someone else valued higher, it was a weak WR class (since most of his drafts with those teams were higher in the order), etc. The Ravens and Eagles have both taken WR in the first round within the past five drafts, the Ravens just last year did. The Ravens took a WR #10 in Douglas' first year there (who was trash, but still).

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2020, 11:07:49 PM »
We did give Perriman $8 million so it's not like he doesn't value WR

It's $6.5M for only one year and he refused to budge on his offer to Robby Anderson. 

There's been no commitment at all from JD at receiver.  He traded for Bay-Bay Thomas when Enunwa got hurt.  He claimed Braxton Berrios off of waivers and he signed Vyncint Smith off of Houston's practice squad.  These moves and the Breshad Perriman and Josh Doctson signings are it.  Uninspiring.  He very well may be gearing up to draft several receivers...but I'll be surprised if he spend #11 on one. 

Demaryius Thomas
Breshad Perriman
Braxton Berrios
Vyncint Smith
Josh Doctson

Based on the results of the tree that he comes from, receiver is not a high value position for them in the draft.  The only time Ozzie truly went for it with receiver was Travis Taylor.  They traded up for him and he was average. 

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:16:45 PM by Heismanberg »

Tags: