Author Topic: Jets kicker search  (Read 16181 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Jets kicker search
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »
Bring back Folk. How bad can he be?

He hasn't kicked since 2017. I didn't know that until I went to look at his stats. I don't see why Douglas should'nt give him a call and have him come in for a workout.

Wait so in one breath, you say Catanzaro wasnt that bad because he had already had good seasons under his belt. In the next breath, you blame the Jets for having a bad kicker situation, even though Catanzaro was the guy they signed to fill the job?

Also, I dont see how it is nonsense when that literally is how the Jets have treated kicker for years. You can disagree with it, but that is exactly what they have done.

They had Myers. He was coming off a Pro Bowl season. Maccagnan didn't want to pay him. That's why the Jets have a bad kicking situation today.

I didn't say bringing back Catanzaro was bad. It didn't turn out well, but then again, a couple of missed preseason kicks shouldn't immediately put you on the hot seat to the point that you feel like you need to retire before you even turn 30.

The nonsense is that, again, it's not actually what the Jets have done. They've worked with reclamation projects before now, not guys who've never done anything. And just because you've gotten lucky a few times doesn't mean you're always going to get lucky. Dumpster diving is a poor way of constructing your first-string roster.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2019, 03:11:40 PM »
Also Manish is ripping Gase for the kicker situation. Listening to the conference call now, all Manish wanted to do was here Gase blame himself for the kicker situation so Manish could say "Gotcha." Not sure what they expect Gase to say.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2019, 03:21:11 PM »
Also Manish is ripping Gase for the kicker situation. Listening to the conference call now, all Manish wanted to do was here Gase blame himself for the kicker situation so Manish could say "Gotcha." Not sure what they expect Gase to say.

I'm not one to defend Gase, but how can anyone blame him for the kicking situation? For all we know, not re-signing Myers may have been a reason Gase used to argue Maccagnan's ineptitude. Apart from the short "interim-GM" stint, he doesn't construct the roster, so in what possible way is he to blame?

Oh yeah. Manish.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
I'd give equal blame to Mac, Gase, and Douglas.  (It's possible that Boyer deserves a little as well, but it's also entirely possible that he's been advocating for a better kicker behind closed doors to no avail).  There should have been a second kicker in minicamps from the word go; that's on Macc.  Gase staged a coup because he wasn't given enough control over the roster (his big issue, as I recall, was that we prioritized signing the two players who actually kept us in the game yesterday, but that's a separate criticism).  But he and Doug each had more than enough time and clout to rectify Macc's mistake and both failed to do so. 

Everyone should compete for their job in training camp, it's just smart football.  The Ravens have the most automatic kicker in the NFL and even they know you bring in another kicker in training camp.  (They even scooped up a free 5th round pick by doing so). 

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2019, 07:00:25 AM »
#FireBoomer
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2019, 08:57:59 AM »
Imagine this guy kicks lights out

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2019, 12:23:24 PM »
I'd give equal blame to Mac, Gase, and Douglas.  (It's possible that Boyer deserves a little as well, but it's also entirely possible that he's been advocating for a better kicker behind closed doors to no avail).  There should have been a second kicker in minicamps from the word go; that's on Macc.  Gase staged a coup because he wasn't given enough control over the roster (his big issue, as I recall, was that we prioritized signing the two players who actually kept us in the game yesterday, but that's a separate criticism).  But he and Doug each had more than enough time and clout to rectify Macc's mistake and both failed to do so. 

Everyone should compete for their job in training camp, it's just smart football.  The Ravens have the most automatic kicker in the NFL and even they know you bring in another kicker in training camp.  (They even scooped up a free 5th round pick by doing so). 

Wasn't Bertolet in camp with Catanzaro? Once Catanzaro quit, Bertolet took over. There was competition. Who could foresee CC up-and-quitting? And at that point, the talent pool was limited. Yet Douglas originally made a play at Vedvik, and when he shook free the second time, he got him.

I just don't see how Douglas can be blamed for any of this garbage. To a degree, you can blame Gase, but even there it's shaky.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2019, 12:25:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/kfcbarstool/status/1171387690333417472?s=21

Lol

Give him a tryout. At this point, turn over every rock until you find someone.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
I would do the kicking but I'm working Monday night and I'd never pass the drug test.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
Jets signed K Sam Ficken.
Ficken will replace meme Kaare Vedvik, who cost the Jets a win in Week 1. A Rams fill-in each of the past two years, Ficken has converted just 3-of-6 career field goal attempts. He will be a bottom-barrel fantasy option as the Jets navigate their brutal early-season schedule.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »
Oh good, a 50% FG kicker! That's gonna work out well.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »
Oh good, a 50% FG kicker! That's gonna work out well.

Significant improvement over our last kicker me thinks

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »
Significant improvement over our last kicker me thinks

Better than the 0% guy we just had.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2019, 03:02:24 PM »
I would do the kicking but I'm working Monday night and I'd never pass the drug test.

legit Lol

Tags: