Author Topic: Jets kicker search  (Read 16164 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Jets kicker search
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »
Okay, so he can't practice Saturday?

If this were December and the infamous winds were swirling, I'd give the story a little more credibility, but this is a case of "You had one job" and the dude should be able to kick even without getting in there today.

Of course, this could've been a plant story to cover the team in case he shits the bed on Sunday. "He didn't have time to properly prepare!"
I think we're reading too much into this. The story is to be read at face value.

Of course, the Jets wanted him to kick at MetLife once before the game. Just like a pro golfer would want to practice on a golf course before playing it in a major. I don't think it's a huge deal that he didn't, but it would be better if he had kicked there once.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
Okay, so he can't practice Saturday?

If this were December and the infamous winds were swirling, I'd give the story a little more credibility, but this is a case of "You had one job" and the dude should be able to kick even without getting in there today.

Of course, this could've been a plant story to cover the team in case he shits the bed on Sunday. "He didn't have time to properly prepare!"

The soccer game is at 830 pm tonight

I don't know freak about what they do to prep a field for a game, but id imagine fixing the grass paint etc is an all day task tomorrow

Of course he will 'be able to kick', but it's also obvious that having time to practice and get used to the stadium itself would be beneficial for any player.

The better question is how much access does a kicker have to an opposing field for road games? Do they typically get in there to do some kicks a day or two before, or is all they get the pregame warm-ups
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:01:32 AM by dcm1602 »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2019, 11:05:28 AM »
He's never been there and we host a division game in two days. It's called preparation.

If that’s the case, the freaking soccer game was on the schedule and when we signed him, we should have taken him directly from the airport to the stadium to kick if we were worried about it.

Sounds like we (as a team) made the choice not to prepare him, if it even matters. And no one can tell me we weren’t planning on claiming a kicker (any kicker) after final cuts, so we clearly had time to plan it. If it mattered we would have done something about it before tomorrow’s soccer game
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:07:12 AM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »
Where was he yesterday or the day before? This game didn't suddenly spring up on everyone. He's been with the team for almost a week.

If he didn't have the chance to "properly prepare" it's not the US soccer team's fault. I mostly agree with Smalls, this is mostly a non-story. At worst, like I said, it's a cover-your-derriere story if he kicks it into Gase rather than between the posts.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »
Where was he yesterday or the day before? This game didn't suddenly spring up on everyone. He's been with the team for almost a week.

If he didn't have the chance to "properly prepare" it's not the US soccer team's fault. I mostly agree with Smalls, this is mostly a non-story. At worst, like I said, it's a cover-your-derriere story if he kicks it into Gase rather than between the posts.

I imagine yesterday they were prepping the field for the soccer game

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
I imagine yesterday they were prepping the field for the soccer game

Were they prepping it on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday as well? And does it take longer to prep it for soccer than for football, since there'll only be a day between the soccer game and the home opener?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »
Were they prepping it on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday as well? And does it take longer to prep it for soccer than for football, since there'll only be a day between the soccer game and the home opener?

I'm guessing they remove the posts for a soccer game.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
I'm guessing they remove the posts for a soccer game.

Probably, but that doesn't really change my point. Even if we assume it takes an entire day to remove the goalposts, it still leaves Monday through Wednesday of this week for him to have practiced. Again, it's not like this USMNT game was a last-minute surprise.

I can't believe the season is about to start and we're on here talking about whether our waiver-wire kicker has had enough time to practice doing his job. No one's going to care when Darnold throws 6 TDs and converts all 6 2-pt conversions.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2019, 02:21:15 PM »
Probably, but that doesn't really change my point. Even if we assume it takes an entire day to remove the goalposts, it still leaves Monday through Wednesday of this week for him to have practiced. Again, it's not like this USMNT game was a last-minute surprise.

I can't believe the season is about to start and we're on here talking about whether our waiver-wire kicker has had enough time to practice doing his job. No one's going to care when Darnold throws 6 TDs and converts all 6 2-pt conversions.

To be fair Monday was a federal holiday

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2019, 02:47:57 PM »
It's probably one of those things they thought of but after the fact, but this week it couldn't be done. Not a huge story but a story worth mentioning, especially if he misses one to lose the game.

Better preparation would have been to keep the guy who just made the Pro Bowl when we had all the money we needed.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »
Jesus Christ it’s just a goalpost and some distance. He can go practice at East Rutherford High School

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2019, 03:28:56 PM »
It's probably one of those things they thought of but after the fact, but this week it couldn't be done. Not a huge story but a story worth mentioning, especially if he misses one to lose the game.

Better preparation would have been to keep the guy who just made the Pro Bowl when we had all the money we needed.

To be fair if we lose to the Bills in our own house, the kicker isn't the problem

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2019, 05:10:09 PM »
To be fair if we lose to the Bills in our own house, the kicker isn't the problem

If this dude comes out and shanks three kicks, I'd say the kicker is the problem. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »
We need to start going for 2 everytime

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2019, 12:21:43 PM »
i fvcking hate kickers, least respectable position in all of sports. fvcking weak minded pussies, all of them

it's a fvcking flat field with turf, it's not a golf course with different crevices and contours and excrement

every fvcking field is just about the same, same as they've been kicking their entire lives, just kick the fvcking ball through

Tags: