Author Topic: Sam "the nice one" Darnold  (Read 261941 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Sam "the nice one" Darnold
« Reply #2145 on: September 24, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
I don't think he's broken yet. Like JE said, give him proper coaching and better weapons in 2021....i think Sam rises to the occasion.

this is why i wanted Gase fired last year.  We all knew he stunk, but Sam's development hung in the balance.   
Whether you believe in Darnold or not, quarterback is the most important position on the football field.

If you have a franchise quarterback staring you in the face like Lawrence, you take him and run. He's a lot better than Darnold was as a prospect coming out. It's not like we're debating a good but not great prospect like Justin Herbert at that pick. Lawrence is as can't-miss as a prospect as it gets AND we would have the additional picks to get him help.

I would be willing to listen to potential hauls for that pick. But I would want at least three 1st-round picks and a couple other high picks, and even that might not be enough depending on how Darnold plays this year.

I agree with all of you, I love Sam, I think he can be the guy and would love nothing more than to see him succeed in Green and White. If we are picking #2, i'm working the phones to get out of #2 and get as much help as possible for him. Hell in other years I would be trying to move off #1 to work with Sam. But if this year, we have #1, then it absolutely has to be Lawrence, and no amount of love for Sam can (or should) matter to the guys making the decisions.
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2146 on: September 24, 2020, 04:00:39 PM »
I don't believe he's broken at all, I think he's doing his best under a coach who is making no effort at all to help him.

He can't handle pressure and his footwork is awful.  Sometimes that cannot be coached out of a player.

By the time this season is over, Darnold may be David Carr'd. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2147 on: September 24, 2020, 04:01:16 PM »
This is also a great point.

We'd have to invest significant money into Darnold fairly soon and I'm not sure he's worth that. 

Why would we? If you think he's damaged after three years then no one is giving him significant money. The only way you pay him at the end of next season is if he was worth it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #2148 on: September 24, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »
He can't handle pressure and his footwork is awful.  Sometimes that cannot be coached out of a player.

By the time this season is over, Darnold may be David Carr'd. 

this infuriates the excrement out of me
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2149 on: September 24, 2020, 04:02:19 PM »
I agree with all of you, I love Sam, I think he can be the guy and would love nothing more than to see him succeed in Green and White. If we are picking #2, i'm working the phones to get out of #2 and get as much help as possible for him. Hell in other years I would be trying to move off #1 to work with Sam. But if this year, we have #1, then it absolutely has to be Lawrence, and no amount of love for Sam can (or should) matter to the guys making the decisions.

If we have #2 I'm taking Chase and I'm not answering the phone.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2150 on: September 24, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »
Why would we? If you think he's damaged after three years then no one is giving him significant money. The only way you pay him at the end of next season is if he was worth it.

If you carry him until the end of his contract and he's not worth it, then what?

You've passed on a generational QB prospect in Trevor Lawrence and now you've got nothing. 

It could set the team back even further. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2151 on: September 24, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »
This is also a great point.

We'd have to invest significant money into Darnold fairly soon and I'm not sure he's worth that. 

Sam Darnold for $25-$30 million per year of cap space (while the cap is still recovering from the COVID hit in 2021-2022)

or

Trevor Lawrence on a rookie deal from 2021-2026)

Financially Lawrence also makes so much sense. We can actually pay to bring in legitimate talent around him in addition to the guys we plan to draft to support him

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2152 on: September 24, 2020, 04:04:01 PM »

No question

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #2153 on: September 24, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »
I feel like during his first two years Darnold got so much credit for being able to throw off-platform that he's made a habit of what should be a last resort. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2154 on: September 24, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »
If you carry him until the end of his contract and he's not worth it, then what?

You've passed on a generational QB prospect in Trevor Lawrence and now you've got nothing. 

Is Trevor Lawrence really considered a generational QB prospect?  I know he's good....but i'm not sure i'd categorize him with the likes of Andrew Luck or Cam Newton.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2155 on: September 24, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »
Is Trevor Lawrence really considered a generational QB prospect?  I know he's good....but i'm not sure i'd categorize him with the likes of Andrew Luck or Cam Newton.

He is better than both of them. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2156 on: September 24, 2020, 04:08:49 PM »

his haircut is

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2157 on: September 24, 2020, 04:11:43 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but if Lawrence has a nearly identical season to a year ago (meaning no back sliding, let along actually progressing as a passer) he will be seen as the best prospect since John Elway, better than Manning, Luck, Newton, and everyone else that went #1 overall.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2158 on: September 24, 2020, 04:14:39 PM »

As much as I hate it, we have to assume (if we are picking #1) that Sam is broken and irreparable. If we trade him away and he gets fixed, we will have to live with that. But chances are MUCH better that he won't be turning into an elite QB than him doing so. Our chances of Lawrence becoming a franchise QB that can win rings is much higher than Sam's chances right now, and that's why we would have to make that move.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2159 on: September 24, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »

I'm not talking about trading down as far as I can, only to move down a spot or two, MAYBE to 5. Someone is going to want Fields and/or Lance, and I would love to benefit from that.

Obviously the board and who is at spots 3/4/5 would dictate things. Chase is obviously the top prospect we need the most.