Author Topic: Sam "the nice one" Darnold  (Read 261988 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Sam "the nice one" Darnold
« Reply #2130 on: September 24, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »
We probably won't end up with the #1 pick but, if we do, I would absolutely trade it for an unprecedented haul over drafting Lawrence to replace Darnold. I'm prepared to die on that hill.
I am 100% in agreement with you.

Count me in on this line of thinking.  I'm praying Darnold is salvageable after these clowns are shown the door.  I think he will be.

Trade the #1 pick....land Ja'marr Chase and other weapons....profit.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2131 on: September 24, 2020, 03:08:22 PM »
Count me in on this line of thinking.  I'm praying Darnold is salvageable after these clowns are shown the door.  I think he will be.

Trade the #1 pick....land Ja'marr Chase and other weapons....profit.

If we trade the #1 for a haul, draft Chase, a quality edge player and a premier guard along with a bunch of other pieces, pick up a handful of good FAs, get a proper coaching staff, and Darnold shits the bed next year, then in 2022 we're a QB away from being a decent team and have at least two first round picks, one of which will presumably be quite high.

If we ditch Darnold and draft Lawrence, then we still have some picks to improve the roster but we'll be depending upon him to overcome some ongoing problems. Keeping Sam is a safer bet IMO.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2132 on: September 24, 2020, 03:24:02 PM »
If we have the #1 pick and don't take Trevor Lawrence, Joe Douglas should be fired. 

The only way we're getting the #1 overall pick is if Sam Darnold is terrible all season long.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2133 on: September 24, 2020, 03:27:35 PM »
If we have the #1 pick and don't take Trevor Lawrence, Joe Douglas should be fired. 

The only way we're getting the #1 overall pick is if Sam Darnold is terrible all season long.

if Sam Darnold is terrible all season, i lay that at the feet of Loggains/Gase.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2134 on: September 24, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »
if Sam Darnold is terrible all season, i lay that at the feet of Loggains/Gase.

And all three of them should be gone in 2021.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2135 on: September 24, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »
And all three of them should be gone in 2021.

I think Darnold is young enough that he deserves another coaching regime that can produce better quality coaching and gameplanning to his skillset

EDIT: I'm not ready to give up on him
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 03:40:47 PM by MBGreen »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2136 on: September 24, 2020, 03:47:14 PM »
I think Darnold is young enough that he deserves another coaching regime that can produce better quality coaching and gameplanning to his skillset

EDIT: I'm not ready to give up on him

If he's terrible in 2020 and we have the top pick, we would have to.  It would be a terrible football decision to have a new head coach come in to fix broken goods. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2137 on: September 24, 2020, 03:55:57 PM »
If he's terrible in 2020 and we have the top pick, we would have to.  It would be a terrible football decision to have a new head coach come in to fix broken goods. 

I don't believe he's broken at all, I think he's doing his best under a coach who is making no effort at all to help him.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2138 on: September 24, 2020, 03:57:01 PM »
Whether you believe in Darnold or not, quarterback is the most important position on the football field.

If you have a franchise quarterback staring you in the face like Lawrence, you take him and run. He's a lot better than Darnold was as a prospect coming out. It's not like we're debating a good but not great prospect like Justin Herbert at that pick. Lawrence is as can't-miss as a prospect as it gets AND we would have the additional picks to get him help.

I would be willing to listen to potential hauls for that pick. But I would want at least three 1st-round picks and a couple other high picks, and even that might not be enough depending on how Darnold plays this year.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2139 on: September 24, 2020, 03:57:07 PM »

I don't think he's broken yet. Like JE said, give him proper coaching and better weapons in 2021....i think Sam rises to the occasion.

this is why i wanted Gase fired last year.  We all knew he stunk, but Sam's development hung in the balance.   

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2140 on: September 24, 2020, 03:57:13 PM »

I would also reiterate that our 'winning window' with Sam on a rookie deal is OVER. Lawrence has every ounce of potential that a HOF QB possesses. If we don't draft that guy, in the hope that Sam isn't broken, and that we can save him and it DOESN'T work out, we will never have another shot at a Lawrence level prospect again. In almost any other year, with almost any other QB prospect, I agree this would be the correct course of action. But it isn't. If a team like Minnesota wants to trade for Sam for a 3rd, then that deal is infinitely preferable to me than trading Lawrence for 3 1's. I also think that Sam would fetch quite a bit more than 'just' a 3rd if it came to it.

No if you want to offer something utterly asinine like 5 1s for Lawrence, then maybe I'd answer the phone, but one of those 1's absolutely needs to be a top 3 pick this year for me to even consider it. 
Need a new one for a new board...

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2141 on: September 24, 2020, 03:57:40 PM »
I don't believe he's broken at all, I think he's doing his best under a coach who is making no effort at all to help him.

bingo

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2142 on: September 24, 2020, 03:58:24 PM »
I don't think he's broken yet. Like JE said, give him proper coaching and better weapons in 2021....i think Sam rises to the occasion.   

That's a gigantic what-if. 

And would it cause the Jets to be a less desirable head coaching destination if they were told to keep Sam and not draft Lawrence? 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2143 on: September 24, 2020, 03:59:10 PM »
I would also reiterate that our 'winning window' with Sam on a rookie deal is OVER.

This is also a great point.

We'd have to invest significant money into Darnold fairly soon and I'm not sure he's worth that. 

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2144 on: September 24, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »

this is why i wanted Gase fired last year.  We all knew he stunk, but Sam's development hung in the balance.   
The problem was hiring Gase in the first place. That was a massive hiring decision for this franchise, and we went with Gase, and we kept Bowles for his first year, which was also bad.

Darnold in year 1 of a brand new system with a random new coach who may or may not be good would have just given even more excuses for Sam.