Author Topic: Jets picking 18th overall in 2014 NFL Draft  (Read 36552 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Jets picking 18th overall in 2014 NFL Draft
« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »
people are giving Idzik the benefit of the doubt that he's smart, moves that aren't "Idzik's way" are stupid and irresponsible ones

Here's the thing with all of this speculation people are throwing around:  we didn't know Mike Tannenbaum's "way" in 2006 either. 

Tannenbaum came in to a team in cap hell, moved a bunch of money around, and traded the team's best defensive player for a first round pick...

Eerily similar start

It gets even more similar when you look at the Kevan Barlow trade.  Chris Ivory is the better player of the two, but both acquired power running backs in their first year as GM here.

Tannenbaum drafted ten players in 2006.  Two first round picks, then a quarterback in the second round.  Sound familiar? 

We do not know what kind of GM John Idzik will be until 2015 or so. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
if I am to understand you correctly

oh my god he's a ghost

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2014, 01:39:56 PM »
Here's the thing with all of this speculation people are throwing around:  we didn't know Mike Tannenbaum's "way" in 2006 either. 

Tannenbaum came in to a team in cap hell, moved a bunch of money around, and traded the team's best defensive player for a first round pick...

Eerily similar start

It gets even more similar when you look at the Kevan Barlow trade.  Chris Ivory is the better player of the two, but both acquired power running backs in their first year as GM here.

Tannenbaum drafted ten players in 2006.  Two first round picks, then a quarterback in the second round.  Sound familiar? 

freak yo logic.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2014, 03:48:47 PM »

Eerily similar start

Wow, good comparison. The second year he drafted Revis and Harris, too. All in all I thought he did a good job, especially early, and he did hire Rex. We mostly had good teams when he was GM except for when the QBs were hurt (Pennington in 07, Favre in late 08) and of course the very end where a lot of excrement went wrong. He started swinging for the fences after a while with moves like Favre and Tebow, a lot of people say that it was Woody wanting headlines but I believe that was Tannenbaum.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2014, 10:15:36 PM »

Eerily similar start

However, our second draft class under Tannenbaum consisted of only four players, and while two of those players were Darrelle Revis and David Harris, this signified the beginning of a trend that would last throughout Tannenbaum's entire tenure as GM. That doesn't appear likely to happen under Idzik as he seems to have a philosophy of building through the draft (evidenced by our projected 12 draft choices).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:17:21 PM by Andrew Ryan »

Sir

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »
While it's still extremely early even to speculate who may and may not be around when were on the clock, I think there's a real good chance ebron is off the board, so the question for me is (assuming we go offensive weapon) do we go Amaro or once of the receivers not named Watkins or Evans?  I'm personally a huge ASJ fan.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:09:05 PM by Sir »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »
While it's still extremely early even to speculate who may and may not be around when were on the clock, I think there's a real good chance ebron is off the board, so the question for me is (assuming we go offensive weapon) do we go Amaro or once of the receivers not named Watkins or Evans?

I'd take Amaro (or ASJ) and see which WRs fall to the 2nd and beyond.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »

While it's still extremely early even to speculate who may and may not be around when were on the clock, I think there's a real good chance ebron is off the board, so the question for me is (assuming we go offensive weapon) do we go Amaro or once of the receivers not named Watkins or Evans?  I'm personally a huge ASJ fan.

If those are the only two receivers off the board, I'd still take a WR and then look at WR again in the 2nd if the other two TEs are gone.

Sir

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2014, 02:25:46 PM »
If those are the only two receivers off the board, I'd still take a WR and then look at WR again in the 2nd if the other two TEs are gone.
So if we went receiver rounds 1 and 2, you'd feel comfortable either A. Having genos top 3 recorders being kerley and 2 rookies, or B. Spending a second round pick on a number 4 reciever?

I see no way we take a WR both rounds 1 and 2 unless a quality vet Isn't signed which would be egregious.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
However, our second draft class under Tannenbaum consisted of only four players, and while two of those players were Darrelle Revis and David Harris, this signified the beginning of a trend that would last throughout Tannenbaum's entire tenure as GM.

I think because 2007 worked out so well with Revis and Harris that he went back to that well again, specifically in 2009 with Sanchez and Greene. That looked good after the first two years also, so again probably caused him to stick with it.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »
So I keep thinking about this question, but it's completely hypothetical and has zero chance of happening, but what if for some reason Clowney fell to 18. Everyone (including myself) is adamant that we have to go offense for, at the very least, the first 3 to 4 rounds. Would you take him?

I don't think I could be mad at Rex, Idzik, & Co. if they grabbed him there.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
So I keep thinking about this question, but it's completely hypothetical and has zero chance of happening, but what if for some reason Clowney fell to 18. Everyone (including myself) is adamant that we have to go offense for, at the very least, the first 3 to 4 rounds. Would you take him?

Yes.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2014, 03:35:57 PM »

I'd go Amaro in Rd 1 then take the best receivers available in Rd 2 and then either our Rd 3 or Rd 4 pick. 

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2014, 07:26:44 PM »

If he fell that far I would be thrilled. I'm also convinced the Jets will make moves to fill out the offense in free agency or by trade. Would be putting ourselves in a bad spot to try and fill so many gaps on one side of the ball solely through the draft.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #224 on: January 07, 2014, 11:25:36 PM »
How many holes do we have in offense realistically? Guard, WR, TE? Not a whole lot. Obviously not counting QB.
"Wrong!"

Tags: jets nfl draft