Author Topic: NYJ Offensive Free Agent Options  (Read 114297 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: NYJ Offensive Free Agent Options
« Reply #390 on: January 21, 2014, 09:58:35 AM »
The Jets 2014 WRs:

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #391 on: January 21, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
Cleveland is supposedly releasing the Coach Killer this offseason.

Per Rotoworld:
ESPN Cleveland fully expects the Browns to release Jason Campbell.

I'd rather go after McCown.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #392 on: January 21, 2014, 11:14:54 AM »
Given that the Jets re-signed Matt Smith, I have a feeling they won't pursue any FA QB. They'll draft someone and let Geno and the rookie battle it out in camp. It'll be the situation we should have had last year with the incumbent having to earn and keep his job while the new guy sits and learns until the bye.

As for Nicks, I am emphatically saying no. He's completely overrated.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #393 on: January 21, 2014, 11:25:37 AM »
Given that the Jets re-signed Matt Smith, I have a feeling they won't pursue any FA QB. They'll draft someone and let Geno and the rookie battle it out in camp. It'll be the situation we should have had last year with the incumbent having to earn and keep his job while the new guy sits and learns until the bye.

As for Nicks, I am emphatically saying no. He's completely overrated.

Simms is a number 3. We are probably not drafting a QB early enough to be a number 2

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #394 on: January 21, 2014, 11:28:48 AM »
Given that the Jets re-signed Matt Smith

Please tell me that was auto correct.

Even with Simms and Geno that onky covers two QB spots on the roster and ifthe Jets go into the season with only them or them plus Garrard it's a mistake. Geno needs someone to push him because he's awful and I believe in Simms' ability to do that as much as I believe in a hollow Earth.

Smith, Simms and a rookie would be a terrible plan to enter the season.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:31:28 AM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #395 on: January 21, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
Smith, Simms and a rookie would be a terrible plan to enter the season.

That's reasonable, but it creates a bit of a catch-22 for me.

I think the Jets should take a QB if one falls to them in a spot where they'd be great value, like Carr in the 2nd, McCarron in the 3rd or later, Garoppolo in the 5th. In that case any vet QB they bring in via FA would have to be expendable (lest we carry 4 QBs), and what kind of QB would agree to a deal without any guarantees?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #396 on: January 21, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »
Why couldn't we just cut Simms if things line up well with other options?  I don't think any of his salary is guaranteed.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #397 on: January 21, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
Why couldn't we just cut Simms if things line up well with other options?  I don't think any of his salary is guaranteed.

I considered that, but I couldn't remember anything about his contract so I just didn't mention it at all.

klaximilian

« Reply #398 on: January 21, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »
The big problem with Edelman is that he duplicates Kerley. Are the Jets better off with 2 slot guys or guys that play a similar role.

Why not? The Patriots only have about 5 of these types of receivers.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #399 on: January 21, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »
I had no idea there was no guaranteed money in Simms' deal. That obviously makes a difference.

Still, I'm sticking to my belief that the internal plan is to draft an heir this year and let Geno sink or swim.

If the Jets acquire a FA QB, I think they'll skip the position completely in the draft and wait until at least next year to draft one.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #400 on: January 21, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »
Simms' contract is exactly why I said him makin the final roster should not be considered a foregone conclusion.

There needs to be a veteran presence on this roster at QB and it has to be someone who can at least manage the game. If Geno fails to improve then he'll get pulled and I don't think the best move after that would be to throw in whatever rookie they might wind up drafting - especially not a 5th rounder. The Jets can easily pick up a cheap veteran and let him fight Simms for the roster spot in training camp. If Dimms is better than said vet then he earns the spot, if not then the Jets can get rid of a cheap contract.

They need to increase the level of talent and competition at the QB position if they want to see any progress out of the two currently on the roster because I haven't seen either QB prove that they belong in the NFL. Simms' most touted asset is how he handled riding the bench this season and Smith's is mostly unrealised physical potential hampered by his terrible, terrible turnovers.

And if they don't draft anyone the  they'll definitely need to bring a vet in.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #401 on: January 21, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
I've said before I don't think the future of the QB position is on this team yet. I also don't see any of the vets who will be available being a guy to lead us forward. I am fine with bringing in someone in case Geno is absolutely awful, but otherwise, I'd rather Geno just play and a draftee learn behind him. Next year isn't our year. I want to put a realistic plan in place for the future though.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #402 on: January 21, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
Apparently the Rams would save 10 mil if they cut Bradford. They have the #2 pick, and if the Texans go for Clowney, they would have their pick at a QB. If (and this is probably a big if) Bradford is cut, would you want the Jets to sign Bradford, for how much, and do you think he would be handed the job or forced to compete with Geno?

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #403 on: January 21, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »
Apparently the Rams would save 10 mil if they cut Bradford. They have the #2 pick, and if the Texans go for Clowney, they would have their pick at a QB. If (and this is probably a big if) Bradford is cut, would you want the Jets to sign Bradford, for how much, and do you think he would be handed the job or forced to compete with Geno?

Yes, for market value.  If its vet min to $10 mil.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #404 on: January 21, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »
Yes, for market value.  If its vet min to $10 mil.

Seconded. As to the second question, you obviously make Geno and Bradford compete, that said you strongly expect Bradford to win the gig.
Need a new one for a new board...