Author Topic: Manish Mehta - FIRED  (Read 71323 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: The Manish Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2018, 04:06:44 PM »
And where is JE?

A recent study by overthecap.com revealed Maccagnan’s record in four drafts versus the rest of the league. Only 64.3 percent of players drafted by the Jets from 2015-2018 are still on an active NFL roster. The Titans are the only team with a lower percentage. The league average during that span is 76 percent. (On the other end of the spectrum, the Chiefs have a league-high 87 percent of their drafted players on an NFL roster).

A round-by-round breakdown reveals exactly how much Maccagnan has struggled in Rounds 2-5. Although all four of his first-round picks (including three in the Top 6 overall) are playing, the Jets have been far below the league average in each of the next four rounds.

Only 33 percent of Maccagnan’s second-rounders are on an NFL roster. The league average for second-rounders from 2015-18: 92 percent.

Only 50 percent of his third-rounders are on any active roster. The league average: 84 percent.

Only 50 percent of his fourth-rounders are on any active roster. The league average: 82 percent.

Only 50 percent of his fifth-rounders are on any active roster. The league average: 75 percent.

The Jets did, however, exceed the league averages with their sixth- and seventh-rounders.

Maccagnan hasn't even been close to average. His drafts have been atrocious from a team-building standpoint. Again, if you exclude his first-rounders, he's drafted very little of worth at all. Clearly, according to the article, it wasn't all his fault, but they're still his picks.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »

Clearly, according to the article, it wasn't all his fault, but they're still his picks.

Were they all his picks?  Hack was, but the article suggests that some of the draft picks weren't guys he would have taken, but the coaches pushed for them.  He's still responsible for them being picked because he handed in the card on draft day, but his ability to identify good players may not be as bad as the record shows.  He might be really shitty at his job if this article is bullshit.  Who knows....

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2018, 08:13:09 PM »
There's also the fact that a player's first couple of years in the NFL are instrumental to learning the skills needed to make a career in the big time. I find it very easy to believe that this coaching staff have fucked up at least a few players who could have been NFL vets if they'd been put on a different track.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2018, 02:17:51 PM »
A list of prospective coaches that want to walk into this situation:

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2018, 02:43:30 PM »
However much blame you want to split between Maccagnan and Bowles' staff, it doesn't change that Maccagnan has had final say on every roster decision. If coaches asked for players, it was up to Maccagnan to decide whether his information warranted the pick.

2 more years of Maccagnan is a long time. Because it's not just 2 years. If he fails, it's 2 years plus 3 for the next GM to come in and rebuild the roster. Again. That's the first 6 years of Darnold's career.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2018, 03:00:08 PM »
There's also the fact that a player's first couple of years in the NFL are instrumental to learning the skills needed to make a career in the big time. I find it very easy to believe that this coaching staff have fucked up at least a few players who could have been NFL vets if they'd been put on a different track.

Idk, guys like Devin Smith, Mauldin, Hackenberg, Dylan Donohue, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen aren’t getting on the field elsewhere with better coaches. They may have just been bad picks.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2018, 03:01:40 PM »
Idk, guys like Devin Smith, Mauldin, Hackenberg, Dylan Donohue, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen aren’t getting on the field elsewhere with better coaches. They may have just been bad picks.

We know Stewart was Morton’s pick
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2018, 03:04:03 PM »
We know Stewart was Morton’s pick

All of the bad players were non-Macc picks

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2018, 04:15:27 PM »
All of the bad players were non-Macc picks

If they don't fire him, that's what I'll assume just to be happy.  Until they fire him in 2 years, then I'll bash him.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2018, 06:47:35 PM »
The problem is... if we don't fire him now, we can't fire him in two years unless we also fire his handpicked head coach... unless we want to find ourselves in another John Idzik situation...

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »
I genuinely believe there's more risk in retaining Maccagnan at this point because if he proves that he really is this shitty at drafting players outside the top-6 then we really are going to be up excrement creek without a paddle in a couple years.

If we hire someone new, the greatest risk is that he doesn't exceed the low bar that's been set for him by the previous administration.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:54:52 PM by Andrew Ryan »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2018, 09:02:29 PM »
The problem is... if we don't fire him now, we can't fire him in two years unless we also fire his handpicked head coach... unless we want to find ourselves in another John Idzik situation...
2 years is plenty of time for the new coach to show his own derriere the door.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2018, 07:09:05 AM »

This has been my main point the whole time. We’re much better off taking this opportunity to clean house than hoping Macc turns it around during Darnold’s developmental years.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2018, 07:09:56 AM »
2 years is plenty of time for the new coach to show his own derriere the door.

Jets fans will be calling for his head by week 2 2019

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »
This sunday from Manish:

“Mike Maccagnan never wanted Darron Lee. Todd Bowles held him at gunpoint and forced the pick”