Author Topic: The sun has set: Robby Anderson Appreciation Thread  (Read 87459 times)

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: The sun has set: Robby Anderson signs with Carolina
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2018, 05:51:05 PM »
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-robby-anderson-jets-wr-mehta-20181129-story.html

“I think we all know what I’m capable of doing,” Anderson told the Daily News in a wide-ranging discussion about his present and future. “I think that’s obvious.”

Anderson, a field-stretching game-changer last season, garnered interest around the league before the trade deadline earlier this month. The Jets turned down the Eagles’ offer of a fourth-round pick, according to people familiar with the situation.

I'd rather have Robby for the RFA discount than the 4th rounder.  Any long-term deal should be at the next administration's discretion, though.  I'm certain Quincy Enunwa has a solid role in any offense you put him in; Robby, not so much. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-robby-anderson-jets-wr-mehta-20181129-story.html

I'd rather have Robby for the RFA discount than the 4th rounder.  Any long-term deal should be at the next administration's discretion, though.  I'm certain Quincy Enunwa has a solid role in any offense you put him in; Robby, not so much. 

Agreed. Anderson is such a scheme-dependent player - Morton seemed to almost build the scheme around him, in Bates' scheme he's just a distraction.

If he was on the Steelers or Packers he'd be putting up monster numbers, but we have to build our scheme around Sam and I don't know if he's the guy who's going to take those huge shots consistently. From the little we've seen so far he makes me think more of someone like Ryan or even a more mobile Peyton (obviously not at that level yet!) - he seems to excel at seeing the short and intermediate windows quickly and then hitting them accurately. He's got a lot of picks but they've mostly come on longer throws in desperate situations as the pocket is collapsing.

I don't know that Anderson makes a lot of sense with Darnold.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
Agreed. Anderson is such a scheme-dependent player - Morton seemed to almost build the scheme around him, in Bates' scheme he's just a distraction.

If he was on the Steelers or Packers he'd be putting up monster numbers, but we have to build our scheme around Sam and I don't know if he's the guy who's going to take those huge shots consistently. From the little we've seen so far he makes me think more of someone like Ryan or even a more mobile Peyton (obviously not at that level yet!) - he seems to excel at seeing the short and intermediate windows quickly and then hitting them accurately. He's got a lot of picks but they've mostly come on longer throws in desperate situations as the pocket is collapsing.

I don't know that Anderson makes a lot of sense with Darnold.

I love Anderson, and I think he's got a lot of potential as a big-gain receiver, but as you're discussing, Darnold seems to excel more in the short and medium game, and Robby is a lot less effective when he's not just utilizing his pure downfield speed.

That said, I'm glad they didn't just trade him away for a fourth rounder. A new regime may come in, change the offense, and get a solid OL in place. We have no idea if Sam can be successful at long-range if given a reasonable window of time to throw. Next year's a big one for Anderson's future with the team--and that involves being RFA'd this offseason, whether he likes it or not.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
Anderson protects the ball like a stroke victim.  I have no issue if we move on from him.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
Anderson protects the ball like a stroke victim.  I have no issue if we move on from him.

He's got three career fumbles. His yards/fumble is comparable to AJ Green and his TDs/fumble is comparable to Julio Jones, and he makes the kind of catches that no one else on this team can.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
He's got three career fumbles. His yards/fumble is comparable to AJ Green and his TDs/fumble is comparable to Julio Jones, and he makes the kind of catches that no one else on this team can.

Those fumbles earlier this season cost us games.  I think we can do better.

I'm fine if he stays, but no tears will be shed if he doesn't.

Also, AJ Green and Julio Jones are complete WRs on an elite level.  Anderson is a one-trick pony who isn't a true WR1
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:31:27 PM by MBGreen »
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2018, 01:34:49 PM »
Those fumbles earlier this season cost us games.  I think we can do better.

I'm fine if he stays, but no tears will be shed if he doesn't.

Also, AJ Green and Julio Jones are complete WRs on an elite level.  Anderson is a one-trick pony who isn't a true WR1

Agree with all of that. I just don't have ball security particularly high on my list of issues with him. I'm far more concerned about the fact that he's a sulky lady garden whose one on field trick probably doesn't outweigh the likelihood of him getting arrested again.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »

His value is stretching the field and beating everyone deep. Until we get someone else who can do that he serves a purpose, flaws and all.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »
Agree with all of that. I just don't have ball security particularly high on my list of issues with him. I'm far more concerned about the fact that he's a sulky lady garden whose one on field trick probably doesn't outweigh the likelihood of him getting arrested again.

I worry about the ball security, he got bullied pretty good in that Phins game earlier this year.  He runs like the wind, but he doesn't do well if he has to break tackles because he's smaller than you.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2018, 01:42:12 PM »
His value is stretching the field and beating everyone deep. Until we get someone else who can do that he serves a purpose, flaws and all.

I'm not questioning what he brings to the table.  I just don't think he brings enough to say "we really need to lock this guy up long term".

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »
I'm not questioning what he brings to the table.  I just don't think he brings enough to say "we really need to lock this guy up long term".

Oh, hell no.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2018, 03:48:11 PM »
Anderson only matters to this team if they throw downfield--successful or not--once in a while. While this team has a porous offensive line, he's a lot less visibly useful.

I like the line about "sulky lady garden." He is a pissy dude. He's the modern day "He Hate Me."
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2018, 06:04:04 PM »
Everyone wants to give up on Anderson, and I get it, but I still think he would be a very nice WR3 who can stretch the field, and his value will probably never be lower after his arrests and with his low production.

Hes very immature, on and off the field, but I'm definitely willing to give him a 2nd round tender, and I'd even be willing to do a lowball deal for 2-3 years with limited guarantees that we can get out of. If he bounces back next season, he is a UFA. He isnt good enough where it is the end of the world if we lose him, but we also need talent.

I certainly wouldn't pay him market value, but he also hasnt made that much in his career so we could give him a small raise and still have him cheap in 2020 if he has a good year.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »
Anderson is not a perfect receiver, but he should definitely get the 2nd round tender
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #254 on: December 03, 2018, 11:32:48 AM »
Robbie showed he has more football talent than just straight-line speed yesterday. He's definitely worth keeping at the tender while the next OC determines if/where he would fit.

Tags: