Author Topic: Marcus "the safety" Maye  (Read 31450 times)

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Marcus "the safety" Maye
« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2021, 05:45:38 AM »
So long.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2021, 08:13:54 AM »
Looks like we need back to back safeties in the first and second round again.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2021, 08:35:59 AM »
Looks like we need back to back safeties in the first and second round again.

someone get Rontez Head on the horn.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2021, 10:42:28 AM »
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #274 on: November 05, 2021, 03:08:53 PM »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2021, 05:36:53 PM »
Another player fucked by Turf

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2021, 06:21:55 PM »
Imagine knowing that no one is behind you and then feeling that.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #277 on: November 05, 2021, 08:14:45 PM »
I guess there we have Exhibit A for why players hate the franchise tag.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #278 on: November 05, 2021, 08:37:09 PM »

Yuuuuuuuuuup

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #279 on: November 05, 2021, 09:05:34 PM »

It's exhibit A why players blame the franchise tag, even though the Jets made him multiple offers that he declined because he and his shitty agent felt he would get more money playing on the franchise tag and then he would have significantly more leverage either as a UFA or someone getting tagged for the second time.

I'm not sure how many of the offers are public, but I imagine Maye would have been paid somewhere near the bottom of the top 5 - 10 of safeties. Instead he gambled likely over a minimal amount and he lost huge.

According to the most recent article I could find, the Jets were offering him an APY of approximately 11 million

Which is > franchise tag currently and would've had him paid as a top 8 top 9 safety.

Certainly a team friendly but completely reasonable deal.

An extra 3 million a year would've made him go from a top 10 paid safety to a top 4.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 09:14:10 PM by dcm1602 »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #280 on: November 05, 2021, 09:17:42 PM »
And had the Jets given Maye the contract he wanted and he had this injury, it would certainly have been a horrendous contract in hindsight.

Had Maye taken a 4-5 year deal with an APY in the 11 million range and this happened, it wouldn't be devestating

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #281 on: November 05, 2021, 09:19:47 PM »
It's exhibit A why players blame the franchise tag, even though the Jets made him multiple offers that he declined because he and his shitty agent felt he would get more money playing on the franchise tag and then he would have significantly more leverage either as a UFA or someone getting tagged for the second time.

I'm not sure how many of the offers are public, but I imagine Maye would have been paid somewhere near the bottom of the top 5 - 10 of safeties. Instead he gambled likely over a minimal amount and he lost huge.

Except that his contract was over. Players would argue, quite reasonably, that having fulfilled their contract they should be free to go to the open market. Instead, despite holding no contracted power over the individual other than the CBA, the team can decide whether they should be allowed to, and the player is given either the choice of not working or sitting beneath the Sword of Damocles.

Franchise tags are shitty and I have a lot of sympathy for players hating them, no matter how sweet the one year pot might be.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2021, 09:24:18 PM »
Man, I'm grateful that the Jets aren't on the hook for a long contract for a relatively malcontented soon to be 30 yo safety coming off an achilles injury, but I still feel really sad for him. Easily our best second round draft pick since 2007, longest tenured current player, and one of our better performers on some bad teams. Feels bad. Hopefully he recovers well and has a decent playing career after this, but I'm not holding my breath.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »
Except that his contract was over. Players would argue, quite reasonably, that having fulfilled their contract they should be free to go to the open market. Instead, despite holding no contracted power over the individual other than the CBA, the team can decide whether they should be allowed to, and the player is given either the choice of not working or sitting beneath the Sword of Damocles.

Franchise tags are shitty and I have a lot of sympathy for players hating them, no matter how sweet the one year pot might be.

Yes.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #284 on: November 05, 2021, 09:58:25 PM »

And the NFL might reasonably argue that franchise tags are good for the game.

It incentivises players to sign an extension with their current teams.

Imagine how shitty it would be if the nfl was more like the NBA where players said freak you and just went anywhere they wanted building dream teams, and it would make the nfl draft way more shitty.

Oh great the Jets finally found a stud franchise QB, now he's going to test the free market and tell the whole team to freak off.

I can understand the players not liking the tool, but it's such an important tool to the fans.

Tags: