Author Topic: President Mal  (Read 102766 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: President Mal
« Reply #795 on: November 19, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
But I don't blame a lot of people who were ready to move on on deadline day when his team is leaking to ESPN that he'd love to play in Dallas.

He didn't handle it maturely, or well at all for that matter . He's also 24 years old so maybe he gets a mulligan. As long as the relationship can be salvaged to where we aren't offering a major investment towards someone who doesn't want to be here, by all means, keep him.

I mean if Dallas was willing to give up Zach Martin, I still think you do it. The development of the most important player on the team dictates that you make that move. 

I really don't want to turn a thread dedicated to Adams into yet another "What the Jets needs are" thread.

That said, this team needs to draft multiple offensive linemen. Free agency should be used to try to get a corner and a pass-rushing threat. I think between Crowder, the tight ends, and probably bringing back Anderson, they can float on WR next year.

Obviously, if someone says "Hey, we'll give you 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and this year's third" yeah, you thank him for his service and ship Adams out.

But the idea that we should trade him because we shouldn't pay him? That's just nonsense. Who do you spend your cap money on if not your best players? Another Buster Skrine? Maybe Trumaine Johnson part 2? Or save it so we can bring the next Ryan Kalil out of retirement? I guess Nick Mangold is chillin on the couch! Come on.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #796 on: November 19, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
Of the starting 22 positions, safety is probably near the bottom of the list as most impactful. Investing big money in one is one thing, but two, seems questionable

Jamal's impact is way more than "lul he's just a safety" and idk how people can't see that at this point.

Maye is meh though

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #797 on: November 19, 2019, 12:11:43 PM »
Also, regarding the whole "attitude" thing. I think it's ridiculous to hold it against him.

1. He's 24 years old. I'm willing to bet every single one of us was still immature at 24.
2. He literally had sat with Gase and Douglas and they assured him he'd be part of the future just 2 days prior. I'd feel betrayed and upset too. That's like being assured your job is safe, then being laid off 2 weeks later.
3. The only other thing he's ever been emotional about is losing. And his intensity has clearly motivated his teammates who aren't named Trumaine.

I've said it a bunch of times, and I'll keep saying it: you build your entire team around people/players like Jamal Adams. Darnold is the key to everything by virtue of being a talented player at the most important position in sports. But you make a guy like Jamal Adams the centerpiece of your defense and the role model for everyone in all 3 phases to base their game on.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #798 on: November 19, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »
Jamal's impact is way more than "lul he's just a safety" and idk how people can't see that at this point.

Maye is meh though
He's our best pass rusher. He's our best defensive playmaker. He's our best safety. He might be our best cornerback if we played him there.

I like Maye, but he's not good enough to trade Adams because we're worried about cap space. If Maye gets hurt this Sunday, the entire narrative around him changes.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #799 on: November 19, 2019, 01:48:25 PM »

Maye is meh though

The issue isn't Jamal, it's Darnold.

This offense is devoid of players. And we're going to help the face of our franchise with 1 maybe 2 early draft picks and a bunch of jags and castaway rejects.

Adams is elite but he's elite at a position that's not as important as most. If he was an Aaron Donald or someone named Bosa that's different. But for a safety, I'd rather gamble to help out Darnold.

And Robbie Anderson is worthless. He's a freaking gimmick player. I don't want to bring him back. Over 60% of his yards on the season came in 2 games. Otherwise he doesn't do excrement. If he wants to come back as a #4 sure he can fill a role  doing that. But as a #2 I'd rather have freaking DT back

He's a track star who can catch. Get Darnold someone that can play football
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:51:04 PM by dcm1602 »

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #800 on: November 19, 2019, 02:04:48 PM »
The issue isn't Jamal, it's Darnold.

This offense is devoid of players. And we're going to help the face of our franchise with 1 maybe 2 early draft picks and a bunch of jags and castaway rejects.

Adams is elite but he's elite at a position that's not as important as most. If he was an Aaron Donald or someone named Bosa that's different. But for a safety, I'd rather gamble to help out Darnold.

And Robbie Anderson is worthless. He's a freaking gimmick player. I don't want to bring him back. Over 60% of his yards on the season came in 2 games. Otherwise he doesn't do excrement. If he wants to come back as a #4 sure he can fill a role  doing that. But as a #2 I'd rather have freaking DT back

He's a track star who can catch. Get Darnold someone that can play football

I want to win a Super Bowl. I think you can build an elite defense around Adams, and I think you can alternately build a defense good enough to win a Super Bowl around Adams. On a team like this I don't feel comfortable parting with a guy like that. Any picks we get for Jamal in the offseason aren't going to be high in the draft most likely, and that would be the only scenario where it would even begin to make sense to move him.

I like Darnold obviously, and the team needs to build with more pieces around him for sure, but there are only two years left where he's cheap on his rookie deal after this year. It's most likely too late to pull the trading for picks gimmick in the sense of getting players who will be ready for a Super Bowl window. Darnold needs to sink or swim on his own merits, with as much help as possible, but it takes a whole team to win a Super Bowl, and moving the heart and soul All-Pro talent doesn't seem to be that type of move to me. We could build an amazing team around Darnold, but if he's not good enough, in the modern NFL it probably doesn't matter.

The right move would have been moving Quinnen if we were moving anyone on the defense for a haul anyway.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #801 on: November 19, 2019, 02:08:15 PM »
I wonder if Steelers or Ravens fans think that trading Polamalu or Reed would have been a good idea if they'd been offered enough.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #802 on: November 19, 2019, 02:41:21 PM »
I wonder if Steelers or Ravens fans think that trading Polamalu or Reed would have been a good idea if they'd been offered enough.

If the Ravens had traded Ed Reed in Flacco's second year, Flacco would still be the Ravens starting QB. Fact.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #803 on: November 19, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »

He's not either of those players yet, and in a pure hypothetical if we could've gotten a pro bowl interior lineman who's still only 28 years old the makeup and priorities of the team dictate that it's a move that couldn't be turned down. Hence why I don't blame Douglas for making that ask.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #804 on: November 19, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »
He's not either of those players yet, and in a pure hypothetical if we could've gotten a pro bowl interior lineman who's still only 28 years old the makeup and priorities of the team dictate that it's a move that couldn't be turned down. Hence why I don't blame Douglas for making that ask.

Of course. I don't think anyone wouldn't value Zack Martin over Jamal Adams for us right now. My point was more about the claim that safety is a non-premium position; I think that if you have a player who is truly elite, regardless of position a good coach can build the unit around him.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #805 on: November 19, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »

Yeah a dude with 2 career ints is Polamalu and Ed Reed.  You're literally comparing two of the best of all time who played in a completely different era. Those dudes were ball hawks in an era where running the ball was far more valuable. Adams is a hard hitter and all around very good dude, but isn't special in coverage and isn't anything even close to a ballhawk. 5 of his 6 sacks come against the worst offense in years with a rookie QB and a terrible offense missing 3 starting offensive linemen.

I wonder if a team would leave Peyton Manning or Tom Brady devoid of offensive talent around them  if they had a safety like Jamal Adams

Adans is one of the best safeties in the league. But people think he's freaking Jesus because he just pissed on a dumpster fire
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:53:45 PM by dcm1602 »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #806 on: November 19, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »
Yeah a dude with 2 career ints is Polamalu and Ed Reed.  You're literally comparing two of the best of all time who played in a completely different era. Those dudes were ball hawks in an era where running the ball was far more valuable. Adams is a hard hitter and all around very good dude, but isn't special in coverage and isn't anything even close to a ballhawk. 5 of his 6 sacks come against the worst offense in years with a rookie QB and a terrible offense missing 3 starting offensive linemen.

I wonder if a team would leave Peyton Manning or Tom Brady devoid of offensive talent around them  if they had a safety like Jamal Adams

Adans is one of the best safeties in the league. But people think he's freaking Jesus because he just pissed on a dumpster fire

Congratulations on completely missing the point, as usual. BTW, Jamal Adams currently has half a sack less than Polamalu had in his career.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #807 on: November 19, 2019, 08:53:07 PM »
Congratulations on completely missing the point, as usual. BTW, Jamal Adams currently has half a sack less than Polamalu had in his career.

Side Note: I was reading the other day that the NFL record for sacks in a season by a safety is 8. Adams has 6, with quite a few weeks to go.

I expect he ties or breaks that record before the season is up
Need a new one for a new board...

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #808 on: November 19, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

insanity

• Shaun Ellis