Author Topic: President Mal  (Read 102765 times)

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
Re: President Mal
« Reply #720 on: November 14, 2019, 10:58:58 AM »
Thinking like this is how you manage to suck over a long period of time. Good teams figure out how to keep their players that have intangiable and game changing skills.
Updated your post.

Not many players are drafted in the first round each year that have as much of an impact on the field as Jamal.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #721 on: November 14, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »
Jamal is reminding me more of Keyshawn as time goes by. Keyshawn was also highly drafted, brash, opinionated and had no taste for being on a losing team. We didn't have Twitter and Instagram then but the guy wrote a book as a rookie. He rubbed a lot of people the wrong way sometimes, but always got it done on the field. I think you need guys like that, regardless of their position. Safety, like WR, isn't a position you typically build around, but fast forward a couple years, when the rest got into place, and there was Keyshawn as a leader and important piece of the best team we've assembled, possibly ever.

Jamal is a tempo setter.  You need guys to challenge other players and to say good is not good enough. 

Its human psychology.  95% of people dont give 100% at work everyday.  People need motivation whether its through competition, inspiration, or the like. 

Jamal provides this for our whole team.

WD40

• Drew Coleman
« Reply #722 on: November 14, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »
Jamal is reminding me more of Keyshawn as time goes by. Keyshawn was also highly drafted, brash, opinionated and had no taste for being on a losing team. We didn't have Twitter and Instagram then but the guy wrote a book as a rookie. He rubbed a lot of people the wrong way sometimes, but always got it done on the field. I think you need guys like that, regardless of their position. Safety, like WR, isn't a position you typically build around, but fast forward a couple years, when the rest got into place, and there was Keyshawn as a leader and important piece of the best team we've assembled, possibly ever.

Still have that classic ESPN the magazine.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #723 on: November 14, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »
Still have that classic ESPN the magazine.

That's awesome. I have this SI cover from January 1999 framed:

So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #724 on: November 14, 2019, 12:21:30 PM »
Jamal is a tempo setter.  You need guys to challenge other players and to say good is not good enough. 

Its human psychology.  95% of people dont give 100% at work everyday.  People need motivation whether its through competition, inspiration, or the like. 

Jamal provides this for our whole team.

But you can't pay a safety!!!!!1111one
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #725 on: November 14, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »
We can build an offensive line without having to sacrifice Adams. It's not the fault of the current GM obviously since he just got here, but it'd be nice to hit on one of these guys that we take in the middle rounds every once in a while.

I said it in another thread, with the obvious exception of Darnold, there is no player this organization needs to see and properly evaluate more than Edoga.

We can, but how quickly and how good can they be?

We literally need to upgrade every single position on the line, this is Darnolds second season and he's regressed substantially.

This franchise has two options. Either risk giving up key staple players (Adams) with hopes that Sam succeeds. Or risk not giving up enoguh assets with hopes Sam doesn't fail.

If it takes 3 more seasons to successfully rebuild our offensive line Sam's fate will very likely have been decided by then.

Not to mention we need to somehow get him a legit #1 receiver in that time frame as well.

The urgency is there with Darnold, it's time for this franchise to gamble everything on his success or failure. Because without him this team goes nowhere

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #726 on: November 14, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »
We can, but how quickly and how good can they be?

We literally need to upgrade every single position on the line, this is Darnolds second season and he's regressed substantially.

This franchise has two options. Either risk giving up key staple players (Adams) with hopes that Sam succeeds. Or risk not giving up enoguh assets with hopes Sam doesn't fail.

If it takes 3 more seasons to successfully rebuild our offensive line Sam's fate will very likely have been decided by then.

Not to mention we need to somehow get him a legit #1 receiver in that time frame as well.

The urgency is there with Darnold, it's time for this franchise to gamble everything on his success or failure. Because without him this team goes nowhere

You start with a left tackle and center, we likely can get the LT at the top of the draft. Once you do that a lot of guys can play guard between them, same on the other side. Might not all be all-pro but a lot better than what we have now, immediately Bell would be Bell again, Darnold will be a lot better. That's next year. By another year you can have a solid line, Darnold is 24, Adams in his prime. It doesn't take that long if you draft more than one good player per year.

Do that, you hope Herndon is the real deal at TE, a lot of guys can be productive WRs if not a true #1.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #727 on: November 14, 2019, 02:47:27 PM »
You start with a left tackle and center, we likely can get the LT at the top of the draft. Once you do that a lot of guys can play guard between them, same on the other side. Might not all be all-pro but a lot better than what we have now, immediately Bell would be Bell again, Darnold will be a lot better. That's next year. By another year you can have a solid line, Darnold is 24, Adams in his prime. It doesn't take that long if you draft more than one good player per year.

Do that, you hope Herndon is the real deal at TE, a lot of guys can be productive WRs if not a true #1.

You're assuming that LT is BPA when we are drafting

And regardless we still need a right tackle as well.

On this teams "urgent" needs.

Left tackle, right tackle, center. #1 wideout, pass rusher, #1 cornerback.

With left and right guard, a #2 corner also important but not quite as urgent

We're not filling all those needs in one year, it's a huge risk to Darnolds career if we spend 3 years fixing the offense around him.

I absolutely realize Adams is a perennial all pro player, and I would never suggest trading him just for the sake of trading him. But if this team can get a legit bounty for him, a mid first rounder and 2 more high value draft picks (a 2nd, and maybe a late 2nd or early 3rd)

That seriously has to be considered, because Darnold is the entirety of this franchise. And the pieces around him are causing him to fail

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #728 on: November 14, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »
You quoted my post, doesn't look like you read it.

Have a good night.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #729 on: November 14, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
You quoted my post, doesn't look like you read it.

Have a good night.

Your post was insanely vague and generic.

Lots of guys can be productive wrs doesn't mean excrement.  Nor does it address the numerous glaring holes on offense.

Adams is a stud, but Darnold is the future

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #730 on: November 14, 2019, 04:22:04 PM »
Different situation and all, but trading Abraham was a key part of our 2006 rebuild.

That being said, I don't want to trade Adams. We can allocate the resources we already have on the OL without sacrificing another part of the team.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #731 on: November 14, 2019, 04:38:27 PM »
Different situation and all, but trading Abraham was a key part of our 2006 rebuild.

That being said, I don't want to trade Adams. We can allocate the resources we already have on the OL without sacrificing another part of the team.

Sure we can, but it's a risk. Is it enoguh, and fast enoguh? Hell if our first round pick is an LT and he doesn't pan out, and we didn't invest extra resources into the OL. We might as well have Darnold join Rex and Sanchez on ESPN now

This team has to go all in on Darnold. And so far we've basically handed him a bag of dicks.

We either make up for it, or become less relevant than the Bills
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 04:40:01 PM by dcm1602 »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #732 on: November 14, 2019, 05:26:54 PM »
Sure we can, but it's a risk. Is it enoguh, and fast enoguh? Hell if our first round pick is an LT and he doesn't pan out, and we didn't invest extra resources into the OL. We might as well have Darnold join Rex and Sanchez on ESPN now

This team has to go all in on Darnold. And so far we've basically handed him a bag of dicks.

We either make up for it, or become less relevant than the Bills
This team needs to accumulate talent. We don't have to go all in on anyone. Yes, helping Darnold is the most important thing this team can do, but if the rest of the team sucks, it doesn't matter.

If Jamal can get us two 1st-round picks and something else, you have to consider it. Anything less, and I would build around Jamal on defense.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #733 on: November 14, 2019, 05:46:22 PM »
This team needs to accumulate talent. We don't have to go all in on anyone. Yes, helping Darnold is the most important thing this team can do, but if the rest of the team sucks, it doesn't matter.

If Jamal can get us two 1st-round picks and something else, you have to consider it. Anything less, and I would build around Jamal on defense.

I mean 2 1st is unlikely.

But Jamal and a 4th for a middle 1st and two 2nds or something like that would be absolutely freaking huge

Regardless we have two very talented safeties that we can't afford to pay long term regardless.

And we have glaring needs elsewhere.

If Jamal can get us 3 prime picks you have to do it, this team needs to build around Sam not Jamal Adams

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #734 on: November 14, 2019, 06:44:07 PM »
On this teams "urgent" needs.

Left tackle, right tackle, center. #1 wideout, pass rusher, #1 cornerback.

With left and right guard, a #2 corner also important but not quite as urgent

I sometimes wonder if you ever actually watch Jets games, and if you do if you really understand what you're watching.

You've pretty much got it entirely the wrong way round. While every position on the line could stand an upgrade the interior is by far the biggest problem; both guard positions plus center are a disaster. Beachum isn't great but he's serviceable, he's still only going to be 31 next season and he won't be too expensive to bring back, while Edoga is a rookie so can't be judged yet and Shell might still have something if they get someone other than freaking idiot Pollack running the show.

For me, the optimal move is to draft Thomas and put him at RT, kick Shell inside to guard (he's big for a tackle and could definitely play interior), draft the center from Wisconsin with the unpronounceable name because Wisconsin's linemen are all good and there are no good free agents at the position, and hope that Winters gets healthy and remembers how he was actually good that one season.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: