Author Topic: President Mal  (Read 102769 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: President Mal
« Reply #585 on: October 29, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »
Calvin Watkins

Expectation by who 🤔?

There's zero reason to extend Jamal.

He's got a 4th year on his rookie deal, then his 5th year option, then we tag him and consider extending him at that point.

I'd rather trade him in the offseason instead of giving him some bullshit apology contract

Dudes an all pro elite player and the heart of this defense

But it's also one of the least valuable positions, and he's got 2 very affordable years left on his rookie contract. Why the freak would we suddenly give him an insane amount of money when we have all the leverage in the world
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:22:41 PM by dcm1602 »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #586 on: October 29, 2019, 10:20:42 PM »
Calvin Watkins is an illiterate fucktard 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #587 on: October 29, 2019, 10:36:38 PM »
Calvin Watkins is an illiterate fucktard 

Best way to perfect that skill is working on the Jets beat
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #588 on: October 29, 2019, 11:16:51 PM »
I say this as probably the biggest LeVeon Bell hater before the year but he is our new Prez. Jamal is fracturing with these losses.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #589 on: October 30, 2019, 05:13:33 AM »
Expectation by who 🤔?

There's zero reason to extend Jamal.

He's got a 4th year on his rookie deal, then his 5th year option, then we tag him and consider extending him at that point.

I'd rather trade him in the offseason instead of giving him some bullshit apology contract

Dudes an all pro elite player and the heart of this defense

But it's also one of the least valuable positions, and he's got 2 very affordable years left on his rookie contract. Why the freak would we suddenly give him an insane amount of money when we have all the leverage in the world

Depends on what they do. If it’s a straight extension, then nothing happens in his next couple years to change his contract. If they rip his deal up and start over completely, that’s an idiotic team decision.
Need a new one for a new board...

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #590 on: October 30, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »
Depends on what they do. If it’s a straight extension, then nothing happens in his next couple years to change his contract. If they rip his deal up and start over completely, that’s an idiotic team decision.

But he's talking about extending Jamal before we can even exercise the 5th year option

And taking the franchise tag off the table.

Regardless were talkikg about adding a ton of guaranteed money to a player who is comfortably under team control for 3 more seasons. I know the franchise tag is a dick move, but the reality is tagging Adams with a tag that will likely be worth 12-13 million is so much better or an option than giving him an annual deal worth 16 million a year for numerous years.

The only way you extend Jamal soon is if this is another bullshit apology extension

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #591 on: October 30, 2019, 08:17:54 AM »
But he's talking about extending Jamal before we can even exercise the 5th year option

And taking the franchise tag off the table.

Regardless were talkikg about adding a ton of guaranteed money to a player who is comfortably under team control for 3 more seasons. I know the franchise tag is a dick move, but the reality is tagging Adams with a tag that will likely be worth 12-13 million is so much better or an option than giving him an annual deal worth 16 million a year for numerous years.

The only way you extend Jamal soon is if this is another bullshit apology extension
Early extensions usually take into account the price of what's left on the rookie contract. Also, the going rate for players is only going to go up.  What you sign him for now would be less than what it would cost 2 years from now. Worst case, it's a wash financially and we don't have to deal with bitching and threats to holdout.  It's the rare case of a Jets player that you have zero worries about whether he will drag derriere after he signs. 

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #592 on: October 30, 2019, 09:11:12 AM »
Such a Jets fan move to be worried about a players contract size when we have approx 2 players worth paying

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #593 on: October 30, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
Early extensions usually take into account the price of what's left on the rookie contract. Also, the going rate for players is only going to go up.  What you sign him for now would be less than what it would cost 2 years from now. Worst case, it's a wash financially and we don't have to deal with bitching and threats to holdout.  It's the rare case of a Jets player that you have zero worries about whether he will drag derriere after he signs. 

But you can't exercise a 5th year option until a player is in his 4th year.

Meaning the soonest you'd want to extend Jamal is the start of next season. However due to the way the franchise tag works and that safety salaries are generally not the greatest, you're saving a decent chunk of cash by not extending him while dramatically improving flexibility.

As of now Jamal is under contract for cheap next year, his 5th year option would be around 10 million, and his franchise tag will likely be roughly 12 million. The highest paid safety will get around 16 million a year.

We have Jamal under team control for 3 years with an extremely affordable number. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to extend him and suddenly add a monstrous amount of guaranteed money to a player you aren't obligated to do so. We have no idea what the future holds. Maybe the Jets get a rare opportunity to pay an elite receiver, left tackle, or pass rusher.

Regardless we have an incredible amount of flexibility with Jamal, there's zero reason to just give that up

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #594 on: October 30, 2019, 09:49:22 AM »
dcm do everyone a favor and google the Ezekiel Elliot contract before you type out the same block of garbage again

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #595 on: October 30, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »
dcm do everyone a favor and google the Ezekiel Elliot contract before you type out the same block of garbage again

Zskee was drafted the year before Adams

And is under contract for 8 freaking years

And were talking about giving a guy a huge chunk of guaranteed money when we don't need to
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:05:09 AM by dcm1602 »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #596 on: October 30, 2019, 12:45:04 PM »

By extending him now, you'd also pull a bunch of future money back to next year and the year after--before you have to break the bank for Darnold. This isn't at all like the Mark Sanchez lipstick contract. It's just good business.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #597 on: October 30, 2019, 12:48:09 PM »
I'm getting really tired of hearing how replaceable the safety position is. The best freaking player on the entire defense is a safety and he's all over the field on every play. I'd argue the 3rd best player on defense is also a safety, with only Mosley between them and a wait-and-see on Q.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #598 on: October 30, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »
I'm getting really tired of hearing how replaceable the safety position is. The best freaking player on the entire defense is a safety and he's all over the field on every play. I'd argue the 3rd best player on defense is also a safety, with only Mosley between them and a wait-and-see on Q.

Jets fans:

2017: drafting Adams and Maye with back to back premium picks was a good decision

2019: safeties are replaceable, trade them both!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #599 on: October 30, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
By extending him now, you'd also pull a bunch of future money back to next year and the year after--before you have to break the bank for Darnold. This isn't at all like the Mark Sanchez lipstick contract. It's just good business.

You'd also be tied to the dude for 6 or 7 years

And if you give him future money now like you're talking about, what's to stop him from acting like Revis?

Yeah that signing bonus getting dispersed over the next 2 years is great, but then you have a guy whose making below average money the final 3 years of his deal. And could start acting all mental and excrement.

It just doesn't make sense to give a guy a new contract, when you have a strong degree of control over him contractually for the next 3 seasons

Tags: