Author Topic: 2.51: Christian Hackenberg - Quarterback - Penn State  (Read 39199 times)

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
Re: 2.51: Christian Hackenberg - Quarterback - Penn State
« Reply #330 on: January 06, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »
My biggest issue is using a 2nd round pick on a guy who I'm not sure anyone else would have taken, which means we could have gotten him in the 3rd or later.

I understand your gripe about losing out on production, but the value of something in a blind auction for a 1 of a kind item isn't the same as buying something in a store where there are multiple duplicates. 

If you really want a 1 of a kind item, you are not only bidding on it's value to you, but also the effective cost of how much losing out on the item would mean to you.  This is what drives up price or in our situation draft pick selection. 

Duff wanted this guy.  Maybe he selected him early, maybe he didn't, but he thought drafting him a couple slots earlier than he was projected to go was worth the risk based on the value of the player and the effective cost on missing out on selecting him.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #331 on: January 06, 2017, 12:42:41 PM »
I understand your gripe about losing out on production, but the value of something in a blind auction for a 1 of a kind item isn't the same as buying something in a store where there are multiple duplicates. 

If you really want a 1 of a kind item, you are not only bidding on it's value to you, but also the effective cost of how much losing out on the item would mean to you.  This is what drives up price or in our situation draft pick selection. 

Duff wanted this guy.  Maybe he selected him early, maybe he didn't, but he thought drafting him a couple slots earlier than he was projected to go was worth the risk based on the value of the player and the effective cost on missing out on selecting him.

I get that completely, the question is what did he see that caused him to assign such value to Hackenberg? His play at Penn State? Combine or a private workout? That's the mystery. We didn't see much to go by in pre-season and they didn't see enough in practice to consider putting him on the field. I know that was the plan going in, I just wonder what they see in him that nobody else appears to, to the point that they didn't want to chance waiting until at least the 3rd round. I'm not a draft guy, was he projected anywhere near where he was taken? I get the impression he wasn't but maybe he was.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #332 on: January 06, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
Hackenberg is an easy player to fall in love with if you want to. He was a big-time recruit, he has the size, he has the arm, he's got a little bit of mobility for someone that size, and he's supposedly a great kid and a hard worker.

I think I posted last offseason before we drafted him that he has the physical skills of a 1st-round pick, and the tape of an undrafted free agent. The Jets clearly thought that he had the ability to be a great quarterback if they cleaned up a few of his issues. Clearly, that's still a work in progress.

The idea that they should have waited a round to get him doesn't hold water with me. If you think you can get a potential franchise quarterback, you take him, and you don't wait until someone else can grab him. Hackenberg was the type of player where I bet his evaluations ranged from 2nd round to 7th round. If the Jets liked him that much, it's better to just take the player than to play the game and pray he slips.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #333 on: January 06, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »

The idea that they should have waited a round to get him doesn't hold water with me. If you think you can get a potential franchise quarterback, you take him, and you don't wait until someone else can grab him. Hackenberg was the type of player where I bet his evaluations ranged from 2nd round to 7th round. If the Jets liked him that much, it's better to just take the player than to play the game and pray he slips.

I get this too. It's not like we're used to getting anything from the 2nd round anyway, that was my thought when they did it. Time will tell.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #334 on: January 06, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
what is wrong with using a 2nd round pick on him even if he is a project?

fact is the FO wanted this guy as a QB prospect and whether we believe it is a reach or not does not really matter at all, the FO wanted to make a move for this guy and im sure they made a move when they did because they felt another team was going to take him before us

besides, i'd rather use a 2nd round pick and wait on a qb prospect with a ceiling to be a franchise qb rather than waste it on a guy who is supposed to produce for us but ends up busting out, which probably describes about every single 2nd round pick we've ever had for the past 15 years

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2018, 10:23:22 PM »
I'd rather go ham after something great than sit back and hope a QB falls into our laps when we need it most. 

we went ham with a tradeup and still had the good fortune of having our qb fall into our lap

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »
If he sucks, he never actually has to play. Not like he was a 1st-round pick. I assume he'll play at some point, but they don't have to play him.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Tags: