Author Topic: Geno Smith Out 6 to 10 Weeks with Broken Jaw  (Read 47720 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: Geno Smith Out 6 to 10 Weeks with Broken Jaw
« Reply #390 on: August 12, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »
We were optimistic but as Bo put it, "at the same time aware of the fact that he could suck too."

Going into 2009 he was an unknown commodity at the pro level.

2010, he was coming off a 12:20 season.

2011, he had downgrades in talent all around him.

All true, but he also played his best in the biggest games, made some huge plays in the biggest spots. You would think if he could do that a lot of the mistakes and dumb excrement (fumbles, INTs) could be fixed with game experience. And as you pointed out, the downgrade of his help in 2011 wasn't his doing.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #391 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
He has value as a backup. We did go 8-8 with him in 2013 after all. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be the #1 QB but if a starter were to go down for a couple weeks I'd rather Geno start over the Jake Heaps of the world.

I'm not sure how much value he has as a backup versus a vet. Backup QB needs to be able to come in cold and manage a game, and be a good influence in the locker room. I've no faith in Geno to do either, I'd rather have a Fitz or a Thigpen.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #392 on: August 12, 2015, 11:05:55 AM »
I'm not sure how much value he has as a backup versus a vet. Backup QB needs to be able to come in cold and manage a game, and be a good influence in the locker room. I've no faith in Geno to do either, I'd rather have a Fitz or a Thigpen.

The problem is it's August and the choices are sparse. I wish he knocked that douche out in February.

But that was all Rex's fault and now he's gone, so what could go wrong? We have a top notch coaching staff now, I know because I read it on the Internet.

Rex was so great he should have been coach in perpetuity, I agree with you and Badger.

#Bringbackrexsoseafoodandbadgercansexhimup
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:07:41 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #393 on: August 12, 2015, 11:08:25 AM »

Someone needs to backup Fitz right now and Thigpen hasn't made a positive contribution on the field since 2008. So once Geno is healthy I'd have no issue with him being #2. In the meantime we probably can't do much better than TT.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #394 on: August 12, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »
Someone needs to backup Fitz right now and Thigpen hasn't made a positive contribution on the field since 2008. So once Geno is healthy I'd have no issue with him being #2. In the meantime we probably can't do much better than TT.

Matt Flynn? Plus you can expect one or two serviceable vets to not make final cuts.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #395 on: August 12, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
I'm 99% sure we won't, but I hope we don't give up anything for a trade for a placeholder QB.  Street FA please.  We don't need Steve Young as a backup.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #396 on: August 12, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
I'm 99% sure we won't, but I hope we don't give up anything for a trade for a placeholder QB.  Street FA please.  We don't need Steve Young as a backup.

I'd trade a 6th or a 7th conditional pick for a quality backup.  It helped us in this situation.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #397 on: August 12, 2015, 11:44:25 AM »
I'd trade a 6th or a 7th conditional pick for a quality backup.  It helped us in this situation.
I wouldn't trade ANOTHER 6th or 7th conditional pick for a backup. First of all, no one of quality would likely be available. Second, Geno will be back at some point. If Fitz gets hurt in the next few weeks, fine, but that's the disaster scenario.

Also, Anthony Becht had a good take on the incident on his Twitter feed...
Let's get this straight Geno Smith had ZERO obligation to pay back Enemkpali the $600 because of a cancelled flight & limo dues for his camp

I've been running camps for 10 years.. NFL players are the worst schedule makers.. As a guy that's booked over 100 flight for players....

..some guys are gonna cancel, miss, or late for these events. It happens... It's happened to me atleast 10 times... Was I happy about it....

...absolutely not.. BUT I also know odds are its gonna happen. Especially high profile players. Get "REFUNDABLE" tixs.. You live & learn...

...confronting the player & pleading that he pays you back is wrong. If Geno doesn't want to pay him back, regardless if right or wrong....

...he doesn't have to.. Period. It was obviously escalated because Enemkpali kept bringing it up, which was the wrong way to go about it...

...punching the man for that is inexcusable. I don't care how much $ either guy makes. It's training camp. Approach & handle it after camp.

Result: #Geno Smith suffers...Enemkpali out of work.. #Jets team & organization suffers... And #Jets fans suffer.

Had players call me 24hrs before my camps &cancel..It happens.  loss $ from there flights/hotels..But I'm not going to heckle or punch them

People always expect others to do the "morally right" thing..Stop with that. It's an imperfect world w/ imperfect people.. We all live in it

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #398 on: August 12, 2015, 11:45:46 AM »
In case anyone is wondering, the only part of this that is upsetting me is that it happened while I was on duty and had to stay on the ship overnight so I'm just now getting it.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #399 on: August 12, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »
I wouldn't trade ANOTHER 6th or 7th conditional pick for a backup.

What are we going to get with those picks?  A Deon Simon type player again?  I'd rather use one on an insurance policy. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #400 on: August 12, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »
Nobody wants to go to Anthony Becht's football camp.  He needs to shut his sorry mouth.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #401 on: August 12, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
Nobody wants to go to Anthony Becht's football camp.  He needs to shut his sorry mouth.

I was just thinking the same thing.

But that was all Rex's fault and now he's gone, so what could go wrong? We have a top notch coaching staff now, I know because I read it on the Internet.

Rex was so great he should have been coach in perpetuity, I agree with you and Badger.

#Bringbackrexsobadgercangivehimmustacherides
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:49:45 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #402 on: August 12, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »
What are we going to get with those picks?  A Deon Simon type player again?  I'd rather use one on an insurance policy. 

I just don't see a possible insurance policy that would be worth it. Why would a team trade a quarterback worth a damn on August 12th? I'd rather just sign a street free agent veteran.

It's not that we would draft a Deon Simon.  We could also use it to trade for someone other than a shitty quarterback.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #403 on: August 12, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »
I just don't see a possible insurance policy that would be worth it. Why would a team trade a quarterback worth a damn on August 12th?

We don't need to trade today.  You wait until cuts are being made and go after a solid veteran that someone else might claim.  It's a way to insure you get the player. 

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #404 on: August 12, 2015, 12:01:49 PM »
We don't need to trade today.  You wait until cuts are being made and go after a solid veteran that someone else might claim.  It's a way to insure you get the player. 

Agreed, but trading for a quarterback in late August probably won't help us that much if Fitz is still healthy