Author Topic: Geno Smith Out 6 to 10 Weeks with Broken Jaw  (Read 47719 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Geno Smith Out 6 to 10 Weeks with Broken Jaw
« Reply #375 on: August 12, 2015, 10:11:02 AM »
In slight defense of Geno, I don't think his handling of a money situation has much to do with being a "leader".  It's more just being a dumbass.

As the starting quarterback of an NFL team, his handling of every single situation on and off the field has everything to do with being a leader. Everything he does reflects on how he is perceived and treated by his team, especially when it directly relates to team members.

The whole thing speaks to a total lack of maturity or integrity and directly undermines any lingering vestiges there may be of thoughts that he could lead this team. I jokingly said to IJR yesterday that we might as well cut him now, but I honestly wouldn't mind if we did. He has zero value to this team, IMO.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #376 on: August 12, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I just hope Bryce Petty gets a ton of playing time in the preseason. 
I really don't see why he wouldn't. Fitz should get reps with the starters to build chemistry, but Petty should play a ton.

Sprinkle Heaps in a little at the end, maybe a little more if you actually think he has a future with the team. Hard to see it in Heaps after his college career, but then again we paid Matt Simms for years.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #377 on: August 12, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »

If we end up drafting a stud QB in 2016, we should send $600 we raise from the 2016 tailgate to IK along with a thank you note.

Fitzpatrick should just pay the $600 with some of the money he stole from Buffalo.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #378 on: August 12, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
As the starting quarterback of an NFL team, his handling of every single situation on and off the field has everything to do with being a leader. Everything he does reflects on how he is perceived and treated by his team, especially when it directly relates to team members.

The whole thing speaks to a total lack of maturity or integrity and directly undermines any lingering vestiges there may be of thoughts that he could lead this team. I jokingly said to IJR yesterday that we might as well cut him now, but I honestly wouldn't mind if we did. He has zero value to this team, IMO.
This thing by itself isn't a huge deal. Shoot, look at Ben Roethlisberger. He was assaulting women in bathrooms. That shows much more of a lack of maturity or integrity than not paying someone $600 promptly.

Geno has value to the team if Geno can play. If Geno can't play, then it's a moot point, but clearly there are enough people who think Geno still has a chance to succeed.

The problem is that there are a lot of little issues that speak to a bigger picture (airline issue, missing meetings, cursing a fan, etc). All of those can be excused by themselves, but when you add them all together, they are no longer isolated incidents.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #379 on: August 12, 2015, 10:16:33 AM »
This thing by itself isn't a huge deal. Shoot, look at Ben Roethlisberger. He was assaulting women in bathrooms. That shows much more of a lack of maturity or integrity than not paying someone $600 promptly.

Geno has value to the team if Geno can play. If Geno can't play, then it's a moot point, but clearly there are enough people who think Geno still has a chance to succeed.

The problem is that there are a lot of little issues that speak to a bigger picture (airline issue, missing meetings, cursing a fan, etc). All of those can be excused by themselves, but when you add them all together, they are no longer isolated incidents.

Agreed. Put it better than I did.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #380 on: August 12, 2015, 10:17:01 AM »
I really don't see why he wouldn't. Fitz should get reps with the starters to build chemistry, but Petty should play a ton.

Sprinkle Heaps in a little at the end, maybe a little more if you actually think he has a future with the team. Hard to see it in Heaps after his college career, but then again we paid Matt Simms for years.

I still can't believe that Jake Heaps is on an NFL roster.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #381 on: August 12, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »
I still can't believe that Jake Heaps is on an NFL roster.

I don't know anything about Jake Heaps. 

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #382 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »

The people who hate the Jets and want to make this a bigger deal than a locker room fight are now acting like Geno Smith is a great QB. The NY Post labeled him a "Star" on the FRONT cover this morning.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »

3 Heaps
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #384 on: August 12, 2015, 10:23:47 AM »

Because he's terrible.

Heaps was a top recruit coming out of high school.  He committed to BYU and sucked.  Transferred to Kansas and sucked.  Then ended up at Miami (FL) and sucked. 

He is a Mormon. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #385 on: August 12, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »
I'm not going to be shocked if Fitz plays poorly either.  I'm happy he is getting a chance and we are at least going to see something different than the past 2 years, for better or worse.  We'll see.  I'm pretty sure that most of the people here on the Fitz bandwagon are both happy that he's getting a shot and at the same time aware of the fact that he could suck too.

I don't think there's been a post-Chad season in which we didn't feel this way about the QB.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #386 on: August 12, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »
The people who hate the Jets and want to make this a bigger deal than a locker room fight are now acting like Geno Smith is a great QB. The NY Post labeled him a "Star" on the FRONT cover this morning.

I noticed this a long time ago, whenever an athlete is involved in something that makes big enough news that non-sports fans hear about it too, the media always labels them a star.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #387 on: August 12, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »
I jokingly said to IJR yesterday that we might as well cut him now, but I honestly wouldn't mind if we did. He has zero value to this team, IMO.

He has value as a backup. We did go 8-8 with him in 2013 after all. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be the #1 QB but if a starter were to go down for a couple weeks I'd rather Geno start over the Jake Heaps of the world.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #388 on: August 12, 2015, 10:38:44 AM »
I don't think there's been a post-Chad season in which we didn't feel this way about the QB.

We were pretty high on Sanchez the first 2-1/2 years. He was inconsistent but also thrown in there as a rookie with just 16 college games experience, so most of us thought he would grow into at least a solid starting QB if not a top tier guy. He still could, just not here.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #389 on: August 12, 2015, 10:42:22 AM »
We were pretty high on Sanchez the first 2-1/2 years. He was inconsistent but also thrown in there as a rookie with just 16 college games experience, so most of us thought he would grow into at least a solid starting QB if not a top tier guy. He still could, just not here.

We were optimistic but as Bo put it, "at the same time aware of the fact that he could suck too."

Going into 2009 he was an unknown commodity at the pro level.

2010, he was coming off a 12:20 season.

2011, he had downgrades in talent all around him.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:49:27 AM by Badger »