Author Topic: I own a house?  (Read 42881 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: I own a house?
« Reply #330 on: November 30, 2020, 03:04:10 PM »
I've been way too much of a nomad in my life to look at seriously buying a house, but after a nice poker cash last night, I started looking at housing prices in Las Vegas on Zillow. I feel like I turned into an adult doing that.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #331 on: November 30, 2020, 03:07:00 PM »
I've been way too much of a nomad in my life to look at seriously buying a house, but after a nice poker cash last night, I started looking at housing prices in Las Vegas on Zillow. I feel like I turned into an adult doing that.

Buying houses doesn't mean you have to live in them forever. If you decide to move on, just rent it out. That's what I'm doing from here on, I'm not selling another house again if I can help it unless it's a profitable flip.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #332 on: November 30, 2020, 03:20:21 PM »
Buying houses doesn't mean you have to live in them forever. If you decide to move on, just rent it out. That's what I'm doing from here on, I'm not selling another house again if I can help it unless it's a profitable flip.
Do you handle the landlord duties, repairs, etc or do you farm it out?

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #333 on: November 30, 2020, 03:24:24 PM »

If I wind up not staying in DC that’s exactly my plan for this condo. And if I do leave, I’m going full van down by the river for a year.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #334 on: November 30, 2020, 03:41:22 PM »
Do you handle the landlord duties, repairs, etc or do you farm it out?

Depends. If I were renting a place out in a different city I'd probably use a management company and give up the 10-15% in exchange for not having to deal with the bullshit from afar. Flipside to that is that I have no interest in living in the same village as my tenants, I don't want to see them when I'm doing my groceries or having a pint at the local. It's a current bone of contention in my household, the place we're going is a great market for rentals but I'd rather we buy in the larger and shittier town up the road whereas Mrs E wants to keep it local.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #335 on: November 30, 2020, 03:43:27 PM »
If I wind up not staying in DC that’s exactly my plan for this condo. And if I do leave, I’m going full van down by the river for a year.

I think I mentioned to you before that one of my partners lives on a boat in DC through the week and keeps his house in Virginia for retreating to. I also discovered recently that another partner moved full time to her boat somewhere in the panhandle because it's closer to her kids, and rented her house in DC out for a fortune. It seems to be a pretty accepted way of life for many.

I'm way too much of a hoarder to live in a space that confined.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #336 on: November 30, 2020, 09:48:56 PM »
I think I mentioned to you before that one of my partners lives on a boat in DC through the week and keeps his house in Virginia for retreating to. I also discovered recently that another partner moved full time to her boat somewhere in the panhandle because it's closer to her kids, and rented her house in DC out for a fortune. It seems to be a pretty accepted way of life for many.

I'm way too much of a hoarder to live in a space that confined.

I've lived on a boat enough.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #337 on: November 30, 2020, 10:02:48 PM »
I've lived on a boat enough.

LOL that's fair.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
My mortgage was finally approved by the VA. I should be closing on Monday. Hopefully nothing fucks it up between then and now.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »
My mortgage was finally approved by the VA. I should be closing on Monday. Hopefully nothing fucks it up between then and now.

congrats and good luck!
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #340 on: December 07, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
My grinder sump overflowed outside.  Ugh.  Now my yard and me are full of excrement.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #341 on: December 07, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »
My grinder sump overflowed outside.  Ugh.  Now my yard and me are full of excrement.

Why do you have one?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #342 on: December 07, 2020, 10:11:45 AM »
Why do you have one?
My house sits downhill from the cul-de-sac, so sewage has to my pumped uphill to the street.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #343 on: December 07, 2020, 10:20:25 AM »
Just mint the yard and it'll be fine

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #344 on: December 07, 2020, 10:22:16 AM »
My house sits downhill from the cul-de-sac, so sewage has to my pumped uphill to the street.

Ugh, that sucks. Did the pump fail on its own or have you been shoving diapers and wipes down the toilet?

Tags: