Author Topic: I own a house?  (Read 42880 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: I own a house?
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2020, 07:45:42 PM »
I replaced my doorbell yesterday. The first thing I did afterward was call my dad to tell him I’m not useless.

#smallvictories
Did he say "jury's still out"?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2020, 09:31:22 AM »
The more stuff you are able to do around your own house, the more you will be expected to. If the perception is that you are useless, you have an excuse for not doing it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2020, 09:41:50 AM »
The more stuff you are able to do around your own house, the more you will be expected to. If the perception is that you are useless, you have an excuse for not doing it.
My title around the house is grill master
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2020, 11:13:45 AM »
Need some flooring advice. 

We are closing on our house at the end of the month and want to replace all carpet upstairs with ...something that isn't carpet (or tile)... before we move everything in. 

Trying to decide between Vinyl Plank, Laminate, and actual hardwood.  Anyone have any success or failures with any of these? 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
Need some flooring advice. 

We are closing on our house at the end of the month and want to replace all carpet upstairs with ...something that isn't carpet (or tile)... before we move everything in. 

Trying to decide between Vinyl Plank, Laminate, and actual hardwood.  Anyone have any success or failures with any of these? 

Hardwood is most expensive and most complex to put down, although still not that difficult. Looks best.

Laminate is least expensive and often looks it, but there are decent ones. Very easy to lay.

LVP is popular with contractors because it's easy to lay and can look good.

I have laminate in my basement and hardwood everywhere else. No horror stories. Consider engineered hardwood, which is basically fiberboard with a top layer of hardwood. All the visual and endurance benefits or hardwood, lower cost.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2020, 11:30:45 AM »
Hardwood is most expensive and most complex to put down, although still not that difficult. Looks best.

Laminate is least expensive and often looks it, but there are decent ones. Very easy to lay.

LVP is popular with contractors because it's easy to lay and can look good.

I have laminate in my basement and hardwood everywhere else. No horror stories. Consider engineered hardwood, which is basically fiberboard with a top layer of hardwood. All the visual and endurance benefits or hardwood, lower cost.

I mirror what he said.  In my previous house, I put down some decent laminate myself in a room upstairs.  Fairly easy, was a little tough for me because I had zero experience with that type of stuff.  Looked pretty good.  Depends on what level you buy.  There was low grade Home Depot excrement in there when we moved in.  Looked like someone photocopied a generic picture of wood and pasted it to fiberboard.  So fake looking.  The stuff I installed was mid-grade.  Looked good.

Had someone else put in LVP throughout the rest of the house a few years later because I didn't want to do it myself.  Looked very nice, not as cheap as laminate but is waterproof.  Vinyl planks aren't anywhere near the shitty roll out vinyl from the 90's.  So much better.

Moved to our current house that has real wood throughout.  Nothing beats the appearance of real wood, but it doesn't hold up well to abuse.  But it can be refinished, so there's that.

I'd go with LVP or some laminate that looks good.  If the stuff you can afford looks shitty, wait until you have some money saved up for some decent stuff.  Don't need to get the most expensive stuff.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:33:10 AM by bojanglesman »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2020, 11:35:00 AM »
I'd go with LVP or some laminate that looks good.  If the stuff you can afford looks shitty, wait until you have some money saved up for some decent stuff.  Don't need to get the most expensive stuff.

I found some pretty decent looking laminate flooring at Lowe's that comes with free installation.  We looked at the same brand and type of flooring in a design center and it didn't look as cheap as I thought it would. 

It'll be upstairs, so while I don't want it to look super shitty, I don't really care if it doesn't look fancy.  I just hate carpet and want it outta there. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2020, 11:35:12 AM »
Thanks for the input, brodies. 

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »
I found some pretty decent looking laminate flooring at Lowe's that comes with free installation.  We looked at the same brand and type of flooring in a design center and it didn't look as cheap as I thought it would. 

It'll be upstairs, so while I don't want it to look super shitty, I don't really care if it doesn't look fancy.  I just hate carpet and want it outta there. 

Awesome.  My current house just has carpet in the upstairs, wood or tile everywhere else.  I like solid flooring so much better.  Easier to clean, looks nicer.  The only thing I missed about carpet was if I was wrestling with the kids or on the floor, carpet is so much friendlier to your pointy parts, elbows, knees, etc.  But you can get a few area rugs and do OK.

Be there when they are installing it.  I think the installer might be as important as the floor.  A shitty installer can make a nice floor look bad.  Then again, the best installer can't make excrement flooring look good.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »
Awesome.  My current house just has carpet in the upstairs, wood or tile everywhere else.  I like solid flooring so much better.  Easier to clean, looks nicer.  The only thing I missed about carpet was if I was wrestling with the kids or on the floor, carpet is so much friendlier to your pointy parts, elbows, knees, etc.  But you can get a few area rugs and do OK.

We thought about getting carpet in the master, but the area rug idea was The Great Compromise of 2020. 

If think if/when we have kids, we'll look to potentially get some carpet in one of the spare bedrooms.  I'll need some padding so I can powerbomb and piledriver some toughness into them when they are babies. 

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2020, 11:45:25 AM »
We thought about getting carpet in the master, but the area rug idea was The Great Compromise of 2020. 

If think if/when we have kids, we'll look to potentially get some carpet in one of the spare bedrooms.  I'll need some padding so I can powerbomb and piledriver some toughness into them when they are babies. 

Area rug and solid floors looks better than carpet.  When you have kids you're gonna really want the solid floor for when they excrement/pee/color all over it.  Plus when they get a little older, it's more fun to run and slide on with socks.  Padding is for pussies.  Don't raise pussies.  Those babies need to learn the proper reversal move for a piledriver.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2020, 11:52:31 AM »

Area rug and solid floors looks better than carpet.  When you have kids you're gonna really want the solid floor for when they excrement/pee/color all over it.

2nd for area rug.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2020, 12:14:14 PM »
Be there when they are installing it.  I think the installer might be as important as the floor.  A shitty installer can make a nice floor look bad.  Then again, the best installer can't make excrement flooring look good.

Second this. Two most important things when laying a new floor:

- Substrata. If the floor underneath is shitty and uneven and has soft spots, your new floor will lay shitty and uneven and have soft spots. Even if you have a contractor doing the work, I would make a point of walking every square foot of floor beforehand and marking where there's the slightest bump or depression or squeak, and tell them to make sure they fix that before laying the new material.

- Expansion gap. All hard floors will expand and contract dependent upon temperature and humidity, and if there isn't a half inch or more gap between the new floor and every wall then there's a good chance that when the weather changes your floor will start to buckle.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »
We have vinyl plank in the kitchen and half of the ground floor and it’s freaking dope. It’s this cool grey color and not the type or color of flooring I’m used to. I prefer it to the rest of the house which is hardwood. Carpet in the basement which needs to go.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:29:08 PM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2020, 12:44:48 PM »
We have vinyl plank in the kitchen and half of the ground floor and it’s freaking dope. It’s this cool grey color and not the type or color of flooring I’m used to. I prefer it to the rest of the house which is hardwood. Carpet in the basement which needs to go.

We're likely going with a greyish color too. 

Tags: