Author Topic: I own a house?  (Read 42882 times)

steves850

• Chad Pennington
    • SteveFlix
Re: I own a house?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »
how's it feel to be eskimo brothers with a murderer?
I gotta be honest, it feels right.
Tom Brady kisses his kids like that kid from Glee who hung himself last week.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »

out of curiosity, what was your price range/neighborhood/house size?

im on the toronto side of london, newer development/semi.

Didn't really have a price range, coming from Ottawa everything was going to be expensive so we just held our noses and went for it. House size wasn't especially important, certainly compared to location, because there are only two of us. Neighbourhood, we originally wanted to be West End in the Roncesvalles / Junction type of area but it was insane money.

In the end we went east and bought a run down old 1930s semi in Leslieville which was still stupidly expensive and into which we have put well over $100K in the two years we've been here. Values have gone through the roof though - we recently remortgaged to lock in the rate long term, and current market value is about 50% more than we paid. Obviously it's irrelevant, it's just money on paper - we can't actually do anything with it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 06:23:13 PM »
Can someone give me the quick breakdown on Oil vs. Electric heating costs?
Oil as in oil on site?  Cheaper for sure but a massive pain in the derriere.  Pretty shitty for the environment too.

Natural gas is the way to go if it is available where you live.  Cooking with gas is better too, not to mention your water heater bills.  The latter is where you save the most money on electric.

Unless you invest in a hot water on demand system.  Expensive up front, but saves money over the years.

If on site oil and electric, I would grudgingly choose electric.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »
I switched from a tank to an on demand system last year. Tank was old and knackered, and I wanted to save space.

Best thing I ever did. excrement is awesome. Only makes sense if you have gas though, tankless hot water is crazy expensive with electric.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
It's been a crazy year and an even crazier month, but this Friday I will be taking the plunge. I'm moving into dcm's house.

Nah but seriously, if all goes well I will be closing on my house this Friday and my derriere is supposed to be out of my old house the very same day. It all seems a little surreal right now, except for all of the bills and responsibilities I'm racking up. That seems very real. A lot to be excited about in between the moments where I'm not experiencing crippling fear. Guess I'll have to grow up a little bit.

Nah
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »
It's been a crazy year and an even crazier month, but this Friday I will be taking the plunge. I'm moving into dcm's house.

Nah but seriously, if all goes well I will be closing on my house this Friday and my derriere is supposed to be out of my old house the very same day. It all seems a little surreal right now, except for all of the bills and responsibilities I'm racking up. That seems very real. A lot to be excited about in between the moments where I'm not experiencing crippling fear. Guess I'll have to grow up a little bit.

Nah

Pro tip from someone who has owned a number of houses over the years: make sure that within a couple of weeks of moving in you start at least three different renovation projects, preferably ones that you kind of think you know how to do but aren't really sure. Then, once they're all to a stage where you can kind of just about live your life around the gaping holes in walls, missing sinks and non-functioning electrics, but not without some degree of inconvenience, down tools and pretend that they're just going to magically do themselves if you ignore them long enough.

This has a number of benefits to your life: it provides an excuse to buy a never ending list of increasingly complex and expensive power tools, thus making you feel more manly, and it will ensure that you and your missus are never without something to argue about ever again.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »

Nah

Congrats man. That's some real adult excrement.
"Wrong!"

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »
congrats man. its a rewarding, expensive, stressful experience. good luck

Pro tip from someone who has owned a number of houses over the years: make sure that within a couple of weeks of moving in you start at least three different renovation projects, preferably ones that you kind of think you know how to do but aren't really sure. Then, once they're all to a stage where you can kind of just about live your life around the gaping holes in walls, missing sinks and non-functioning electrics, but not without some degree of inconvenience, down tools and pretend that they're just going to magically do themselves if you ignore them long enough.

This has a number of benefits to your life: it provides an excuse to buy a never ending list of increasingly complex and expensive power tools, thus making you feel more manly, and it will ensure that you and your missus are never without something to argue about ever again.

this dude is right. my kid broke 1 rail on the staircase, convinced the wife i needed a brand new lathe. i just got a new router because the wife wants some shelves. lst summer i got a new table saw to make her table. im looking at a new mitre box to make some potting benches.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »
I agree with JE.  Bought all kinds of excrement at the hardware store that I used once.

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2017, 02:09:10 PM »
Congrats bro, we are doing excrement a bit.out of order with the kid already a year old.but we are saving our asses off for a house as well. Hope to be joining you in crippling fear and anxiety in the next few years!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
Congrats and GFY SFD!
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »
I agree with JE.  Bought all kinds of excrement at the hardware store that I used once.

At least you lot have Harbor Freight, which is specifically designed for that market. Mostly excrement quality tools, but which will last long enough for the couple of times you're likely to use them.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
Be sure to spend a little extra on quality home owners insurance.

Something will always be breaking.  Guaranteed.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2017, 04:37:11 PM »
Be sure to spend a little extra on quality home owners insurance.

Something will always be breaking.  Guaranteed.

This is a key tip.
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »
Until you have enough in savings to replace your a/c unit on short notice, you haven't saved enough.  Even then, you still haven't.  You haven't lived until the a/c goes out when it's 100°f outside

Tags: