Author Topic: Chris Johnson arrested on misdemeanor weapons charge  (Read 17662 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: Chris Johnson arrested on misdemeanor weapons charge
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
We also need better wrs, tes, QB, lt,rt, LG, rg, C

If we could get better or younger at any of those positions, would you rather another running back instead?

We need better players across the board.  We can get a quality RB later than a quality starter at almost all of those other positions.  Drafting a guy in the 3rd for a Kubiak offense would be a solid move.  Maybe even the 2nd for the right back. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 01:29:55 PM »
We need better players across the board.  We can get a quality RB later than a quality starter at almost all of those other positions.  Drafting a guy in the 3rd for a Kubiak offense would be a solid move.  Maybe even the 2nd for the right back.
A 2nd or 3rd (especially a very early one)  could just as easily get us a long term guard tight end or number 2 receiver

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
With all the gaping holes on our team I'm saying drafting a running back in the first 3 rounds would be a mistake

Especially since we can get decent stopgap for pennies, as it's such a devalued position.

Sure if you're convinced a guy is going to be the next. Barry Sanders that's different (which is essentially a completely unrealistic scenario)

But I think we'd be better off shopping for used cars to fill the vacancy.

Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, trent Richardson (probably cut or traded cheap) , multiple buffalo running backs will all be free agents. I expect this to be a relatively deep free agent running back class.

No need to waste a prime pick.

We're going to be bringing along yet another young QB or a middle-of-the-road vet.  You're nuts if you don't think Kubiak or Shanahan would want a young RB to carry the load with Ivory.  3rd and below is most likely, but don't be surprised if we target positions with more longevity in free agency and use the cheap draft pick on a RB in the middle rounds.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
I know i'm getting ahead of myself...but, are we going to be awarded any supplemental draft picks this year?
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »
With all the gaping holes on our team I'm saying drafting a running back in the first 3 rounds would be a mistake

Especially since we can get decent stopgap for pennies, as it's such a devalued position.

Sure if you're convinced a guy is going to be the next. Barry Sanders that's different (which is essentially a completely unrealistic scenario)

Why would we want a stopgap player when we might have a chance to land a premier system back that can play at a high level for a long time?  Stopgaps got this team into trouble.  It's time to find longterm talent. 

It doesn't have to be the best back to ever play the game to be worth a pick in the first three rounds.  Again, we're not talking about taking a back at #6.

Do you think Dallas is upset they used a 3rd on DeMarco Murray?  Alfred Morris wasn't even a great prospect, but he was an excellent fit in Washington's system.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 01:35:22 PM »
A 2nd or 3rd (especially a very early one)  could just as easily get us a long term guard tight end or number 2 receiver

And I wouldn't want us to use a 2nd if there was a great starter available on the line.  I just think you're underestimating the importance those two coaches would put on the run game.  If they can get a good enough back later, I'm all in favor of it.  I'm just saying it would make sense to take one in the 3rd if the value is there, or even 2 if they think he's an All-Pro, which as you said is unlikely.  The idea that they won't draft one at all is absurd.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
We're going to be bringing along yet another young QB or a middle-of-the-road vet.  You're nuts if you don't think Kubiak or Shanahan would want a young RB to carry the load with Ivory.  3rd and below is most likely, but don't be surprised if we target positions with more longevity in free agency and use the cheap draft pick on a RB in the middle rounds.
Well they wouldn't want our young QB to be behind a toilet paper offensive line

Not to mention the upgrades at guard and tight end (especially one capable of blocking)  would likely do just as much to upgrade the run game, protect our QB, all the while filling more pressing needs.

A running back in the 4th or 5th is a possibility, but before thats a waste

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »
I know i'm getting ahead of myself...but, are we going to be awarded any supplemental draft picks this year?

No.  We signed more than we lost last season.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »
Why would we want a stopgap player when we might have a chance to land a premier system back that can play at a high level for a long time?  Stopgaps got this team into trouble.  It's time to find longterm talent. 

It doesn't have to be the best back to ever play the game to be worth a pick in the first three rounds.  Again, we're not talking about taking a back at #6.

Do you think Dallas is upset they used a 3rd on DeMarco Murray?  Alfred Morris wasn't even a great prospect, but he was an excellent fit in Washington's system.
Dallas has tight ends and an offensive line.

Do you think Murray would have been nearly as good of a good pick had the Jets drafted him in the 3rd and had him playing behind an offensive line held together with glue?

I'm saying I'd rather a stopgap rotational running back (to mix in with Ivory and Bilal) instead of a stopgap guard, tight end, tackle, or wide receiver.

Running back offers us the least value of all those positions. Ivory is one of the best players on our offense. Yes he shouldn't shoulder the load alone, but he should shoulder the brunt of it.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:39:25 PM by dcm1602 »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 01:37:25 PM »

Compensatory picks? 

Pretty sure that Austin Howard is the only player that could net us a pick.

Doubt we get any.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »
No.  We signed more than we lost last season.

That makes our draft choices that much more vital then.

dcm, the guys are right...if you can land a long term talent at HB in the 2nd or 3rd round, that wouldn't be a wasted draft pick...especially in a Kubiak offensive scheme.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »
tight end (especially one capable of blocking)  would likely do just as much to upgrade the run game, protect our QB, all the while filling more pressing needs.

freaking A, dcm

A backup TE that will only play in certain packages is not a pressing need.  It would also not improve the run game more than drafting a quality RB prospect. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »

dcm, the guys are right...if you can land a long term talent at HB in the 2nd or 3rd round, that wouldn't be a wasted draft pick...especially in a Kubiak offensive scheme.

We can draft a backup TE and he'd be cool with it though

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »

Let me try asking my question differently.

Would a long term guard or tight end (who would improve the running game as well) be more valuable than a running back?

Especially looking at the talent we have, which includes a promising Ivory, and a  chance to bring back Bilal hopefully as a number 3

The need for guard and te drastically outweighs RB is my point

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »
freaking A, dcm

A backup TE that will only play in certain packages is not a pressing need.  It would also not improve the run game more than drafting a quality RB prospect.
How about a te that could let us cut Cumberlands derriere?

And again we literally have no tight ends capable of blocking well

I'm not saying a pure blocker, but I'm not talking gronk either

Tags: jets