Author Topic: ESPN shill Rex Ryan  (Read 145082 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: All Rex debate, all the time
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »
I asked a question and you start talking about Rich Kotite.

You said a couple days ago you didn't want to sound like Champ. Everything you've been saying is Champ-esque lately.

I wasn't serious about Kotite, just pissed we fired a good coach. It's not automatic you hire a good coach, just like it's not automatic you hire a good GM. That's why when the good teams get one they keep him. That's why the playoffs always seem to be in the same places with the same people in charge of those teams.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »

That's why when the good teams get one they keep him. That's why the playoffs always seem to be in the same places with the same people in charge of those teams.

Yup. Like all those teams in the AFC that make the playoffs each year. Denver and Pittsburgh and New England and Cinci and Baltimore and New Yo... Oh. Not New York.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 09:01:06 PM »
I wasn't serious about Kotite, just pissed we fired a good coach. It's not automatic you hire a good coach, just like it's not automatic you hire a good GM. That's why when the good teams get one they keep him. That's why the playoffs always seem to be in the same places with the same people in charge of those teams.
Why does every thread have to be about how great Rex was?

I get it. You love the guy. Hell, I like the guy. Let's face the facts though, you're watching highlights from 5 years ago, it feels like yesterday, and you forget how shitty the past 4 seasons have been. Just like you're waxing poetic about Vinny.

All I wanted to know is who do you want as GM and HC. Rex is gone man. He's not coming back. I don't know excrement about any possible replacements so that's why I started this thread. Nothing is bringing Rex back. Him and a sub-.500 record. We had some great moments with him, he was funny, he was a lot of things we've never had here. May Rex go on to have success somewhere else? Definite possibility.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
Yup. Like all those teams in the AFC that make the playoffs each year. Denver and Pittsburgh and New England and Cinci and Baltimore and New Yo... Oh. Not New York.

Not again for a long time either now.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »
Rex is basically Buddy Ryan 2.0. Almost the same exact coach.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »
You do realize we haven't been in the playoffs for 4 years now, right?

I mean, this is laughable, you make seem like Rex presided over a dynasty when we made the playoffs 2 out of 6 years. That's one/third of his years here.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:06:15 PM by guinness77 »

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »

At least we'll have new excuses as to why the team sucks vs the same old Rex lines.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 09:11:40 PM »
Why does every thread have to be about how great Rex was?

I get it. You love the guy. Hell, I like the guy. Let's face the facts though, you're watching highlights from 5 years ago, it feels like yesterday, and you forget how shitty the past 4 seasons have been. Just like you're waxing poetic about Vinny.

All I wanted to know is who do you want as GM and HC. Rex is gone man. He's not coming back. I don't know excrement about any possible replacements so that's why I started this thread. Nothing is bringing Rex back. Him and a sub-.500 record. We had some great moments with him, he was funny, he was a lot of things we've never had here. May Rex go on to have success somewhere else? Definite possibility.

Because I've seen a lot of guys come through here and do nothing. It's rare someone comes in and does what Rex did, rare as in Parcells, him and that's it.

As far as who I want next, no idea. My biggest issue is I have zero faith in Woody to get it right. Zero. These consultants don't give two shits about Woody or the Jets, if the Saints or anyone else called it's all the same to them. I like Woody too, he seems to care and spends the money be a successful team, but he's just kind of a buffoon. Couldn't talk for ten minutes without putting his foot in his mouth and having to call Kraft to try to avoid a problem.

So we had one guy who knew football and had respect around the league--flaws and all--so it makes no sense to get rid of him. With our cap space and a high pick I had more faith in Rex to fix it than Woody or anyone he's talked into hiring by people whose loyalty is not to the Jets.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »
So you wanted to keep Idzik as the general manager?

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
You do realize that Herm Edwards made the playoffs just as many times as Rex too. Less years as well. Should we have kept him too? Actually, it was 3 times, wasn't it?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:19:20 PM by guinness77 »

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »
So you wanted to keep Idzik as the general manager?

No, that's the only bright side to this. I mentioned before all this had they kept Idzik and fired Rex I'd have lost my excrement. This isn't me losing my excrement, this is me being pissed that we're back to square one for the 100th time in my life which is beginning to get to the late innings.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 09:20:27 PM »
You do realize that Herm Edwards made the playoffs just as many times as Rex too. Less years as well. Should we have kept him too?

Herm made it more times (3) but won half as many games. And he had way better QBs, give Rex Vinny or Chad and we probably win one of the AFC Championship Games if not the Super Bowl.

I liked Herm too, he left on his own because he wanted to be in KC rather than here. Let the season go to excrement and lied about it to the very end too, so once all that came to light I was glad he left. That's the other thing, Parcells, Belichick, Groh and Herm all left for a job they wanted more, which gets back to the loyalty I was talking about which Woody doesn't always get even from the people he does hire.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:22:43 PM by Italian Seafood »

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 09:23:13 PM »
No, that's the only bright side to this. I mentioned before all this had they kept Idzik and fired Rex I'd have lost my excrement. This isn't me losing my excrement, this is me being pissed that we're back to square one for the 100th time in my life which is beginning to get to the late innings.
I've been here since 82 myself, so it's not like I haven't been through this myself almost as long as you.

Rex wasn't making it through 3 GMs. I don't think any coach can boast that. Like I said, Edwards made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years compared to Rex's 2 out of 6. Edwards' playoff history was 60% compared to Rex's 33%. You want consistency from Woody? I've said this numerous times, it ain't happening.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 09:25:49 PM »
This is a never ending discussion. This is a results driven business and when you don't make the playoffs 4 years in a row, you're probably going to get fired no matter who you are or what you did your first two years here.