Author Topic: Crap Movies  (Read 142184 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Crap Movies
« Reply #810 on: August 11, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »
He also said that he liked Bridesmaids better than The Hangover.

I don't remember saying that, but Bridesmaids was great.  I saw both in the theater and both were great theater comedies.

You know what else was good?  Get ready for it...The Heat.  That's right.  Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: Crap Movies
« Reply #811 on: August 11, 2016, 05:39:11 PM »
Making a movie with all woman isn't necessarily feminist.  They tried and failed at the box office,  who cares.  Half the world is made up of woman, they should make entertainment geared for them. I don't see the big thing here, it makes economic sense.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #812 on: August 11, 2016, 05:39:14 PM »
Why did people freak out over karate kids remake being black? Or having a black James bond? And there was some other movie recently too where they had an Asian chick played by a white woman I think? People freak when people freak with nostalgia

Your argument is that people getting upset over white characters being replaced by black characters proves that people weren't upset about women replacing men?

Why didn't people lose their excrement over Footloose getting remade?  A ton of people grew up on that.    Why didn't The Bad News Bears get destroyed before Linklater even gave a rough cut?  Nothing got the level of hatred Ghostbusters did, and it was a better movie than new BNB and the new Karate Kid.  The hate was stupid, and I include myself in that because I got sucked into the "It's going to be girl power horseshit" circle jerk.

Finally, I really want to know how Emma Stone playing an Asian chick in Aloha "fucks with nostalgia".

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #813 on: August 11, 2016, 05:41:24 PM »
Making a movie with all woman isn't necessarily feminist.  They tried and failed at the box office,  so cares.  Half the world is made up to woman, they should make entertainment geared for them. I don't see the big thing here.

The big thing is that it was painted as something it wasn't and destroyed before it got into theaters.  It's not even a big thing, just unfortunate.  My point was that it deserved to fail on its own merits since it wasn't a feminist movie.  Tommy and dcm just desperately like to be wrong.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #814 on: August 11, 2016, 05:47:13 PM »
The big thing is that it was painted as something it wasn't and destroyed before it got into theaters.  It's not even a big thing, just unfortunate.  My point was that it deserved to fail on its own merits since it wasn't a feminist movie.  Tommy and dcm just desperately like to be wrong.
Yeah that was the gist of what I meant and they sure do. Lol
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #815 on: August 11, 2016, 09:48:40 PM »

I don't think it's a feminist movie. The movie has been heralded by feminist yes.

My issue was they were just freaking with a classic, and I wanted it to be remade with all the originals (or at least living ones)

Aykroyd and Murray are some of the greatest of all time

My other point was people just want to take pre defined characters and change their demographic as some celebration  of diversity. I don't think they should make a Shaft or blade movie where the main character is white. Why? Because this character had existed for many years as a certain thing. The Ghostbusters is the same way. They've existed for what 30 years, and somebody just wants to give them all vaginas now to be PC?

I'll concede thst I may be completely overreacting  in this case but Hollywood has absolutely made a conscious effort to take characters that have existed for years and retroactively change them to improve diversity or something.

When I think a better solutions would be to make new IPs then do whatever the freak you want with them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:54:35 PM by dcm1602 »

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #816 on: August 12, 2016, 03:16:34 AM »
I guess I don't get how it could possibly be PC.  Isn't political correctness when you do something to avoid criticism of favoring a certain race or gender?  Was anyone actually offended in 2014 that there were no female Ghostbusters in the world?  If they had done a remake with men, would anyone have said "Sexist pigs not casting women as the leads"?  No.  Nobody would have given a freak.  It's not PC to decide to make the movie with women.

They didn't change any characters.  They didn't have Peter Venkman suddenly as a woman.  They made a movie with a ton of similarities, but it's way different than actually rebooting with Shaft or Blade as white guys.  How would you even do that with Shaft?

I have no clue why they made them women.  It sure as hell didn't help the box office, which they knew.  I don't think they counted on the most overblown reaction of all time to the casting news, though.  Paul Feig likes directing women in interesting roles and yes, pushing the boundaries of what women are allowed to do on film.  For the most part, it works.  I guess I just don't see the problem when the movie works and isn't in your face about the fact that it's all girl power and whatnot.  I don't see a problem with giving new opportunities to actors that haven't had them if it works.

The new IP thing is a whole different discussion.  As long as the box office depends on outpacing piracy and drawing people to spectacle, you'll see familiar projects designed to draw early crowds.  Until Hollywood gets out from under the theater obligations, you won't see new excrement direct to digital either.  Just recycled excrement on screen.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #817 on: August 12, 2016, 06:14:19 AM »

I guess I don't get how it could possibly be PC.  Isn't political correctness when you do something to avoid criticism of favoring a certain race or gender?  Was anyone actually offended in 2014 that there were no female Ghostbusters in the world?  If they had done a remake with men, would anyone have said "Sexist pigs not casting women as the leads"?  No.  Nobody would have given a freak.  It's not PC to decide to make the movie with women.

They didn't change any characters.  They didn't have Peter Venkman suddenly as a woman.  They made a movie with a ton of similarities, but it's way different than actually rebooting with Shaft or Blade as white guys.  How would you even do that with Shaft?

I have no clue why they made them women.  It sure as hell didn't help the box office, which they knew.  I don't think they counted on the most overblown reaction of all time to the casting news, though.  Paul Feig likes directing women in interesting roles and yes, pushing the boundaries of what women are allowed to do on film.  For the most part, it works.  I guess I just don't see the problem when the movie works and isn't in your face about the fact that it's all girl power and whatnot.  I don't see a problem with giving new opportunities to actors that haven't had them if it works.

The new IP thing is a whole different discussion.  As long as the box office depends on outpacing piracy and drawing people to spectacle, you'll see familiar projects designed to draw early crowds.  Until Hollywood gets out from under the theater obligations, you won't see new excrement direct to digital either.  Just recycled excrement on screen.

Wasn't there some backlash or at least talk about how most movies didn't have two or more females in a scene if it didn't involve discussions about a guy they all liked or something? I think progressivism definitely had a lot to do with their choice of an all female cast. Doesn't make much sense otherwise.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #818 on: August 12, 2016, 07:07:34 AM »
It's called the Bechdel Test, and a huge amount of movies fail it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #819 on: August 12, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
If that's true I would like to hear Tommy's reasoning for why it was wrong to point it out and also why it is wrong to make an effort to change it.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #820 on: August 12, 2016, 08:31:31 AM »
If that's true I would like to hear Tommy's reasoning for why it was wrong to point it out and also why it is wrong to make an effort to change it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #821 on: August 12, 2016, 08:50:21 AM »

I never said there was anything wrong with it. But I feel society is trying to blur gender roles, when it clearly goes against reality. What's wrong with portraying woman as they are? Do we have to do the whole "They're just as strong and blah blah as men" excrement?
"Wrong!"

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #822 on: August 12, 2016, 09:09:14 AM »
I never said there was anything wrong with it. But I feel society is trying to blur gender roles, when it clearly goes against reality. What's wrong with portraying woman as they are? Do we have to do the whole "They're just as strong and blah blah as men" excrement?

I'm trying to think of the last movie I saw that made the point that women are just as strong as men.  It certainly wasn't Ghostbusters.  The Ghostbusters in the original were nerds.  They were smart, not strong.  Are you saying there's an issue with arguing that women are as smart as men?  The new movie doesn't argue that, by the way.  The women simply exist and are smart.  No comparison to men is made, but that fact that they're intelligent and quirky seems to bother a lot of people.  "That's man qualities raht thurr!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #823 on: August 12, 2016, 09:19:31 AM »
I'm trying to think of the last movie I saw that made the point that women are just as strong as men.  It certainly wasn't Ghostbusters.  The Ghostbusters in the original were nerds.  They were smart, not strong.  Are you saying there's an issue with arguing that women are as smart as men?  The new movie doesn't argue that, by the way.  The women simply exist and are smart.  No comparison to men is made, but that fact that they're intelligent and quirky seems to bother a lot of people.  "That's man qualities raht thurr!"

I think I Spit on Your Grave 2 and 3 fit the bill.  lol

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #824 on: August 12, 2016, 09:38:58 AM »

The Craft.

Fariuza Balk will freak your soul.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: movies