Author Topic: Crap Movies  (Read 142147 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: Crap Movies
« Reply #480 on: May 26, 2015, 10:46:07 PM »

But why a remake?

Because it has a built in audience.  That's all Hollywood cares about anymore.  Movies very rarely build on word of mouth and make money.  They get pirated and put up online too quickly.  Hollywood makes remakes and blockbusters and franchises because they can get the huge opening weekend and coast to a money maker.  That isn't going to change any time soon, either.  The sides of the piracy battle are too firmly drawn.  The smart thing would be to accept that some people are just assholes who will steal your movie no matter what.  Do simultaneous releases at home for smaller movies, accept that not everyone will pay for them, and take what money you can get back.  People will pirate, but hopefully fewer of them, and some good movies will get a chance to be made that simply don't in the current climate.

Basically, blame a rampant sense of entitlement to all forms of media and a dinosaur distribution model that stubbornly refuses to accept it can't get unconditional surrender.  That's why a remake.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #481 on: May 26, 2015, 10:48:28 PM »

Because apparently kids are less inclined to watch a movie that's nearly 25 years old, and so the studios can make a excrement ton of money taking a great movie and remaking it so that an entirely new generation can shell out ten bucks a head to watch it despite the original almost certainly being superior.

No.  People who grew up with the original will go see it too.  Kids will see just about anything with explosions and action.  They're easy.  A whole lot of people will go for the sake of nostalgia and familiarity.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #482 on: May 26, 2015, 11:56:55 PM »
No.  People who grew up with the original will go see it too.  Kids will see just about anything with explosions and action.  They're easy.  A whole lot of people will go for the sake of nostalgia and familiarity.

Will they? I wouldn't bother, just like I didn't for Evil Dead or Fright Night. If it was a good movie first time round, why would I bother with a remake? The only example I can think of taking a good original and doing a good remake was True Grit. (Infernal Affairs / The Departed is probably a legitimate one as well, but I honestly didn't really get into either of them.) There's far more chance they're going to do an Oldboy or Wicker Man.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #483 on: May 27, 2015, 06:19:34 AM »
I don't think international remakes count. I didn't know Infernal Affairs even existed before The Departed.
"Wrong!"

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #484 on: May 27, 2015, 06:36:49 AM »
I hate remakes. There is no possible way a Point Break remake can be better or overacted like the original.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #485 on: May 27, 2015, 06:44:29 AM »
Confession: I've never seen Point Break.
"Wrong!"

ukilledkenny

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #486 on: May 27, 2015, 07:05:20 AM »
Will they? I wouldn't bother, just like I didn't for Evil Dead or Fright Night. If it was a good movie first time round, why would I bother with a remake? The only example I can think of taking a good original and doing a good remake was True Grit. (Infernal Affairs / The Departed is probably a legitimate one as well, but I honestly didn't really get into either of them.) There's far more chance they're going to do an Oldboy or Wicker Man.

I think it's pretty well established that you are far from representative of the opinion of the general public when it comes to entertainment.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #487 on: May 27, 2015, 07:16:26 AM »
People trusted you, and they died.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #488 on: May 27, 2015, 07:37:08 AM »
Confession: I've never seen Point Break.

Me neither.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #489 on: May 27, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »
Me neither.

I am not sure watching it now would translate but at least try.

There is no possible way a Point Break remake can be better or overacted like the original.

It looks like it's going to suck, it has no soul, a black hole of suck, totally the opposite of the original.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #490 on: May 27, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »
I think it's pretty well established that you are far from representative of the opinion of the general public when it comes to entertainment.

And that's fine, but I'm not sure it invalidates anything I said.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #491 on: May 27, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
I think it's been said and answered, but why in the freak would you remake Point Break.  It's an absolutely absurd movie that just happens to be awesome despite itself.  There are a million reasons why the movie is terrible and yet it is just perfect in it's own way.  Leave well enough alone.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #492 on: May 27, 2015, 10:39:50 AM »
Vaya con Dios!
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: movies