Author Topic: Crap Movies  (Read 142103 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Crap Movies
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
They very well may have stayed true to the story, but the presentation was just shock and awe, and not very effective at that.  It was just poorly made.  As for the villager, he's definitely shown.  It should have been the focus of the movie, IMO.  Instead, he and his kid never give any hint of why they're helping him.  You just find out about Pashdvahawhatever after the movie's over.  It just seems like random acts of kindness at a very deadly cost prior to that.  "You're all going to be slaughtered for this!"  "Cool!  Save the American because...uh...just save the American!"

American life is worth more. I don't understand what you're confused about.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »
FTR, reviews so far have been good.  I may be wrong.  I dug it for about 30 - 45 minutes, but by 75 minutes I was done.

I suspect there is, from some quarters at least, a fear of passing negative judgement on a movie about real soldiers and real events. I remember the reviews of Act Of Valor, the breadth of reviews was notable. I imagine there are some publications for whom a negative review of such movies might be treading on dangerous ground.

(NB: I have not seen Act Of Valor and therefore have no view on it. I'm just recalling the reactions I read and heard.)
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »

I suspect there is, from some quarters at least, a fear of passing negative judgement on a movie about real soldiers and real events. I remember the reviews of Act Of Valor, the breadth of reviews was notable. I imagine there are some publications for whom a negative review of such movies might be treading on dangerous ground.

(NB: I have not seen Act Of Valor and therefore have no view on it. I'm just recalling the reactions I read and heard.)

It's also Universal.  If this is the Oscar bait Universal is hanging its hat on, insider papers probably want to appear favorable.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »

Act of Valor was one gigantic Seal advertisement. I saw it and to be honest was meh at best on it.

It's true though it was made by Seals for Seal recruitment.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »
I think the part that really put me over the edge full of excitement for this epic undertaking was the blurb saying "Night at the Museum' writers on board to script".

Thanks guy you just made my day, I am marking the days on a calendar till release date. WoooooooooooooooohhhhFFuuuccckkiinngghhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »
In fairness, it can't be less funny than the originals.

Why do you hate fun?

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »
Why do you hate fun?

Next tailgate lets all have a little road trip to go see this. We can be like the scene from Gremlins:

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
Speaking of Gremlins and crap movies...

The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »
Speaking of Bad Xmas Stories and Gremlins:

The term "purse" originally referred to a small bag for holding coins. In British English, it is still used to refer to a small coin bag. A "handbag" is a larger needed accessory, that holds items beyond currency, such as a woman's personal items and emergency items to survive on. American English typically uses the terms "purse" and "handbag" interchangeably. The term "handbag" began appearing in the early 1900s. Initially, it was most often used to refer to men's hand-luggage. Women's accessory bags grew larger and more complex during that period, and the term was attached to the women's accessory. Handbags are used as fashion accessories as well as functional ones

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »
I think movies like Last Vegas and Grudge Match need their own comedy subgenre. What's a good name for shameless pandering to AARP members?

Also, who decided to that Twitter-centric marketing for Grudge Match was a good idea?

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »
Why do you hate fun?

seriously, who could hate Naked Gun?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
I think movies like Last Vegas and Grudge Match need their own comedy subgenre. What's a good name for shameless pandering to AARP members?

I had to Google AARP because I don't know who they are. They have one of the worst websites I've seen in a long time; no wonder old people are scared of the internet if sites supposedly catering to them are going to commit such an assault on the eyeballs. Your average amphetamine-filled teenager would struggle with that mess.

http://www.aarp.org/

Tags: movies