Author Topic: I <3 NY  (Read 197630 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: I <3 NY
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »
So overnight the State Legislature passed a bill that will allow NYC to lower the speed limit from 30 to 25. Ridiculous. How are we supposed to get anywhere? More and more I hate this city and want to move.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »
So overnight the State Legislature passed a bill that will allow NYC to lower the speed limit from 30 to 25. Ridiculous. How are we supposed to get anywhere? More and more I hate this city and want to move.

They passed it? For some reason I thought that was still up in the air.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »
They passed it? For some reason I thought that was still up in the air.

Yup. They passed it last night. Shocking, right? Pass laws in the evening when most reporters are home already. Why not?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

klaximilian

« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »

To be fair, it's not like you have every opportunity in NYC to open the throttle and get up to speeds that excel 14mph. At least that's in my very limited experience driving in the city.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
To be fair, it's not like you have every opportunity in NYC to open the throttle and get up to speeds that excel 14mph. At least that's in my very limited experience driving in the city.

Hah, yeah. I assume you mean in Manhattan, where that is certainly true. I live in Queens though, and while I can understand wanting slower speed on side streets, the avenues/boulevards/turnpikes are reasonable places to do 30.

klaximilian

« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2014, 01:00:10 PM »
Hah, yeah. I assume you mean in Manhattan, where that is certainly true. I live in Queens though, and while I can understand wanting slower speed on side streets, the avenues/boulevards/turnpikes are reasonable places to do 30.

I should have asked before responding. I figured this was passed for Manhattan. The whole city - that sucks.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »
I should have asked before responding. I figured this was passed for Manhattan. The whole city - that sucks.

I don't know how well you remember the neighborhood you picked me up from a couple years ago, but you can imagine how unnecessary a 25 mph limit would be there.

klaximilian

« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »
I don't know how well you remember the neighborhood you picked me up from a couple years ago, but you can imagine how unnecessary a 25 mph limit would be there.

I recall, and yes that would drive me nuts. You can't turn right on red in NYC too, right?

I'd be ticketed once a week if I lived there.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »
I recall, and yes that would drive me nuts. You can't turn right on red in NYC too, right?

No right on red in the city. You can in the rest of the state

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »

When I was young(er) and stupid(er) I pulled off 80 mph in that neighborhood on the main road (Union Turnpike) at night. Thankfully no one else was on the road, cop or otherwise.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »
When I was young(er) and stupid(er) I pulled off 80 mph in that neighborhood on the main road (Union Turnpike) at night. Thankfully no one else was on the road, cop or otherwise.

Not that I'm saying anyone should be doing highway speed on Union, but can you imagine doing 25 on it?!

klaximilian

« Reply #251 on: June 20, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
Not that I'm saying anyone should be doing highway speed on Union, but can you imagine doing 25 on it?!

The only place I can ever justifiably do 25 mph or less is in a school zone or if I know children are present. Everywhere else has wiggle room.

If someone told me to go 25mph on a Blvd, Turnpike, Expressway, or anything that usually is between 45-55mph, I'd excrement myself and then proceed to break the traffic law without blinking an eye.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2014, 08:55:59 PM »

No right on red in the city. You can in the rest of the state

Really? I grew up driving in the city and always assumed I can't turn on red in any part of NY. Even when I know I'm allowed it's still tough for me to do.
"Wrong!"

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
Really? I grew up driving in the city and always assumed I can't turn on red in any part of NY. Even when I know I'm allowed it's still tough for me to do.
90% sure. I know I've turned on red outside of NYC

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #254 on: June 20, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
Quebec/Montreal is the same - right turn on red is allowed throughout the province except in Montreal.
A cross-dressing limey poofter