Author Topic: I <3 NY  (Read 197644 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #1170 on: March 31, 2021, 02:16:38 PM »
he closes the door at the end lmao

what the fvck

heard he got fired after the footage was released
Sad thing is they might have also fired him for getting involved. Not that I'm excusing his inaction in the moment.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: I <3 NY
« Reply #1171 on: March 31, 2021, 02:50:20 PM »
I find it difficult to judge too harshly as lots of people react differently in extreme circumstances, and we none of us really know how we'll behave in a given situation until we're in it. I think it's more important to judge the guy kicking the woman's head in than the guy who suddenly finds himself torn between helping the victim and becoming the second one. When you live in a country that makes it incredibly easy for someone to pull and use a gun on you if they so choose, it shouldn't be surprising that people think twice about intervening.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1172 on: March 31, 2021, 05:25:25 PM »
Well NYC has decided to be the first city in the nation to completely cripple its police force.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/york-city-moves-end-qualified-immunity-making-1st/story%3fid=76752098

Always wondered what escape from NY would be like in real life

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1173 on: March 31, 2021, 06:18:31 PM »

I find it difficult to judge too harshly as lots of people react differently in extreme circumstances, and we none of us really know how we'll behave in a given situation until we're in it. I think it's more important to judge the guy kicking the woman's head in than the guy who suddenly finds himself torn between helping the victim and becoming the second one. When you live in a country that makes it incredibly easy for someone to pull and use a gun on you if they so choose, it shouldn't be surprising that people think twice about intervening.

Yeah, I get your point: America, you've no one to blame but yourselves...courtesy of your lax gun laws.

That also assumes that those good-for-nothing bums (yes, good-for-nothing bums) would've done something in the absence of any perceived gun risk.  I respectfully disagree.  Those pos are the same type of slugs that would impassively see an elderly woman struggling to get out of a cab with her arms filled with parcels (or the stupid stiff of a cabbie) and just sit on their idle hands.  "Ain't my problem..."

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1174 on: March 31, 2021, 06:36:30 PM »

Yeah, I get your point: America, you've no one to blame but yourselves...courtesy of your lax gun laws.

That also assumes that those good-for-nothing bums (yes, good-for-nothing bums) would've done something in the absence of any perceived gun risk.  I respectfully disagree.  Those pos are the same type of slugs that would impassively see an elderly woman struggling to get out of a cab with her arms filled with parcels (or the stupid stiff of a cabbie) and just sit on their idle hands.  "Ain't my problem..."

No, that wasn't my assumption. I'm just saying that if you create a culture in which helping your fellow human carries a risk of massive adverse response, it shouldn't be surprising if people are discouraged from helping.

The same situation exists in Canada and the UK where no one is concerned about someone else pulling a gun, people will still react in all sorts of unpredictable ways. Again, people react differently in extreme circumstances - I've a couple of times been in situations (not like this, but one where instinctive responses were required that could potentially put me in significant danger) and I'm extremely proud of how I responded to one, and quite ashamed of how I responded to the other.

The point is that we don't know how we're going to react unless we are specifically trained for and experienced in such an environment, so I'm really reluctant to judge others for their responses. We can't help how we're wired, and unless we train to rewire ourselves then instinct will always take over.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #1175 on: March 31, 2021, 07:00:58 PM »
Well NYC has decided to be the first city in the nation to completely cripple its police force.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/york-city-moves-end-qualified-immunity-making-1st/story%3fid=76752098

Always wondered what escape from NY would be like in real life
It'll be fine actually.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1176 on: March 31, 2021, 07:07:12 PM »
Ending qualified immunity is a very good thing.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #1177 on: March 31, 2021, 07:44:39 PM »
It'll be fine actually.

Ending qualified immunity is a very good thing.

Speak for yourselves, I just sold my niece to a man with a human ear necklace on West 53rd.  Got a pound of rat meat and a used Ricky Martin CD. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1178 on: March 31, 2021, 08:21:34 PM »
As someone whose worked in Healthcare for the last 10 years I can tell you that there absolutely 100% will be negative consequences to ending qualified immunity.

Sure there will be good things as well, and who knows which there will be more of. I'd imagine that something like this won't stupid an idiot or scumbag from being an idiot or scumbag. But it'll be a giant science experiment and TBD what the outcomes will be.

(as to my healthcare reference) you see doctors do excrement all the time that's not in the best interest of the patient medically or especially financially because of the fear of litigation. I can say Trump would be proud thoguh to see a bunch of jerkoffs encourages to sue each other.

Plus how much of a deterrent will getting sued be to officers that almost certainly will be broke to begin with (one would imagine that the educated responsible officers aren't the ones you need to worry about quite as much)

But hey its a science experiment, should be interesting to see what happens.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1180 on: April 01, 2021, 09:00:26 AM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #1181 on: April 01, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1183 on: April 02, 2021, 03:45:54 PM »
https://nypost.com/2021/04/01/nypd-gives-cops-new-orders-to-let-people-smoke-weed-in-public

Just this morning there was an argument outside my apartment.

This dude that has been lighting up multiple times a day from his balcony the entire pandemic was arguing with someone walking by who complained about the smell. "It's LEGAL now. It's LEGAL!"
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #1184 on: April 02, 2021, 04:33:31 PM »
https://nypost.com/2021/04/01/nypd-gives-cops-new-orders-to-let-people-smoke-weed-in-public
ACAB

“We always say, ‘Drugs equal guns.’ When you smelled weed, you could pull a car over. Now, you can’t pull them over,” the cop said.