Author Topic: I <3 NY  (Read 197703 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: I <3 NY
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:08 AM »
It's private property. They can do whatever they want.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: I &lt;3 NY
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »
Maybe they should just invite them all inside for tea

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »
It's private property. They can do whatever they want.

Sidewalks are private property?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »

Depends on location and local laws.  There are areas where private property extends all the way to the street.  Not sure how it is in NY.

Tangentially related: had a homeless guy start screaming at me and the kids yesterday while we were walking to jiu jitsu and waiting at a crosswalk.  "WHERE THE freak IS MY MONEY, NIGGA?  lover of the older lady GOT YOUR WHOLE FAMILY HERE.  I'M GONNA KILL YOUR WHOLE FAMILY IF YOU DON'T PAY ME MY freaking MONEY, NIGGA."  First time I've had a homeless guy brazen enough to scream at my kids like that.  He realized as soon as the light changed that it was actually the Asian guy who had just crossed toward us who owed him the money.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
Depends on location and local laws.  There are areas where private property extends all the way to the street.  Not sure how it is in NY.

Tangentially related: had a homeless guy start screaming at me and the kids yesterday while we were walking to jiu jitsu and waiting at a crosswalk.  "WHERE THE freak IS MY MONEY, NIGGA?  lover of the older lady GOT YOUR WHOLE FAMILY HERE.  I'M GONNA KILL YOUR WHOLE FAMILY IF YOU DON'T PAY ME MY freaking MONEY, NIGGA."  First time I've had a homeless guy brazen enough to scream at my kids like that.  He realized as soon as the light changed that it was actually the Asian guy who had just crossed toward us who owed him the money.

Did you unleash your mini ninjas to kill him?

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »
Did you unleash your mini ninjas to kill him?

My kids know not to mess with crazy.  They don't want that hobo AIDS from a homeless zombie bite.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »

In NYC at least, the awning and the area directly under it is considered part of the property. Even without an awning, your business can extend into the street. Homeless guys would crowd in front of most banks if that wasn't the case.
"Wrong!"

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2013, 10:10:17 AM »

Another reason why I'll never live in a major city

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »

I'd feel less threatened by that homeless guy than I would by a LI housewife behind the wheel of a GMC Yukon.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
And What are the odds of that, that he would run into a homeless member of the Miami dolphins all the way out in California

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »

I can't tell you how much this reveals...  It all makes sense now.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »
Um, what?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/nyregion/unarmed-man-is-charged-with-wounding-bystanders-shot-by-police-near-times-square.html?_r=0

Not an exact precedent, but the logic being used:

It's predicated on the idea of felony murder, wherein during the commission of a felony, any and all deaths related to the commission of that felony are charged against the defendant.

The reasoning behind this is the idea of proximate cause - the defendant created the dangerous and illegal situation which led to the injury of others.

It differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but in general the idea is that if Defendants A and B are perpetrating an armed robbery and the cops come in with weapons drawn, the Defendants can be charged with felony murder for the death of 1) any innocent bystanders, 2) police officers/first responders, and 3) even the death of the other defendant.