Author Topic: Let's fight about Revis.  (Read 5841 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Let's fight about Revis.
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:16:23 AM »
the WR situation isn't as bad as the CB situation.  Our offense should be able to manage without Decker, there's enough depth on offense to carry the load in his absence.

the secondary, not so much.

Having $9 million in cap space and Revis doesn't sound so bad now.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
Re: Let's fight about Revis.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »
Did you not see Jordy Nelson bending over our secondary at will?
Yeah. But I expected that. You didn't?

The FO fucked that up during the offseason too, and that was glaring to begin with. Maybe, I guess, I already came to grips with that. The WR thing is something that was always there (lack of depth) but now this pushes that to the forefront.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:21:21 AM by guinness77 »

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »
Having $9 million in cap space and Revis doesn't sound so bad now.
Idzik did not want Revis. That ship sailed when he was traded. Rex, otoh.....

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:21:34 AM »
Idzik did not want Revis. That ship sailed when he was traded. Rex, otoh.....

I understand that but it was clearly a mistake, whether it was him or Woody. It's not what was best for the team. Even if it wasn't Revis we signed, we have money sitting there still and we knew we needed a CB since last season ended.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:24:26 AM »
I understand that but it was clearly a mistake, whether it was him or Woody. It's not what was best for the team. Even if it wasn't Revis we signed, we have money sitting there still and we knew we needed a CB since last season ended.
I wasn't making a judgment. Just stating the fact.
Of course I would have liked Revis on this team. Any fan would have. Maybe a little swallowing of pride (on both ends, especially our GM) would have helped immensely, but I can't harp on it because that was months ago.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »

This is probably true. Revis got a one year deal, that had a 2nd year option. It wouldnt have stopped us from extending out own guys and would have helped this team win this year. Whether or not Revis wanted to come here or not is a different discussion, but it probably would have been beneficial to the team to at least look into it (even if he is a douche).

That game is a win with Revis [sadly].

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »
I wasn't making a judgment. Just stating the fact.
Of course I would have liked Revis on this team. Any fan would have. Maybe a little swallowing of pride (on both ends, especially our GM) would have helped immensely, but I can't harp on it because that was months ago.

That's what's irritating. It's not like 2012 where Revis is hurt and we have to deal with it. We said it then, everyone knew it then and we sat on over $20 million of cap space. There's no excuse for it. In a league that is all about passing and throws a flag on the defense every other play down the field?

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »

No it wasn't, freak Revis. The Jets didn't need to sign a CB for over 12 million dollars. Signings like that aren't stupid, they're patently stupid. That position isn't a position that commands money like that.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 11:33:01 AM »
No it wasn't, freak Revis. The Jets didn't need to sign a CB for over 12 million dollars. Signings like that aren't stupid, they're patently stupid. That position isn't a position that commands money like that.

So the cap space is better? This is an emotional response--what the Jets did--and not an intelligent one for the betterment of the team.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »
So the cap space is better? This is an emotional response--what the Jets did--and not an intelligent one for the betterment of the team.

Yes the cap space is better. They're going to have to use it, it's not a use it or lose it thing. So the money they didn't waste on, the in the closet mercenary CB, can be spent on Mo and keeping other young talented players. Remember the cap is a cumulative thing over 3 years. What isn't used today can be used at a later date.

Edit: It's a much better strategy to use it at a later date. The Jets aren't a super bowl contender, so wait a year or two for when they can build on something.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:08:03 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:02:54 PM »
Yes the cap space is better. They're going to have to use it, it's not a use it or lose it thing. So the money they didn't waste on, the in the closet mercenary CB, can be spent on Mo and keeping other young talented players. Remember the cap is a cumulative thing over 3 years. What isn't used today can be used at a later date.

Over $20 million when we can't cover anyone? Revis is basically on a one year deal.

Also, I just noticed the "heismanbookie" tag here--I have to get an assist on that one.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »
Over $20 million when we can't cover anyone? Revis is basically on a one year deal.

Also, I just noticed the "heismanbookie" tag here--I have to get an assist on that one.
Think it's pretty clear Idzik is trying to hoard a ton of extra cap space, so he can make big moves when the team is ready to compete for a Super Bowl. The way the rules are set up, that's absolutely legal. The Jets will have among the most cap space in the league for many years to come and have the flexibility to get better players, even guys like Revis.

That said, Idzik better spend that money wisely because getting a guy like Revis in here this year could end up being the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
Think it's pretty clear Idzik is trying to hoard a ton of extra cap space, so he can make big moves when the team is ready to compete for a Super Bowl. The way the rules are set up, that's absolutely legal. The Jets will have among the most cap space in the league for many years to come and have the flexibility to get better players, even guys like Revis.

That said, Idzik better spend that money wisely because getting a guy like Revis in here this year could end up being the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

I get that, but it's very much a year to year league. And like you said, we have a good team now and we're sitting on the money that we could have used to fix the one glaring hole we have. I'm not sure exactly what year we're waiting for, but this could be a good year if we can cover anyone. I'm not sure Milliner will ever be able to stay healthy and be effective on a consistent basis, his history doesn't seem to indicate that he will.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
this turned into a useless Revis debate...how constructive.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 01:06:59 PM »
this turned into a useless Revis debate...how constructive.

Phartz