Author Topic: NFL changes rules over domestic violence convictions  (Read 10862 times)

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
Re: NFL changes rules over domestic violence convictions
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
I won't/don't applaud much Goodell has done/will do, I give him credit for this.  Hats Off.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »
Actually, I think this paragraph from the letter is exactly that:

God Damn It.  Props to taking credit for a mistake. 

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »
So next time around, does Ray Rice get 6 games or the boot?
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
I won't/don't applaud much Goodell has done/will do, I give him credit for this.  Hats Off.
Hats off? 
That's ridiculous. Many days late and a excrement load of dollars short.

Common sense should prevail. Oh, NOW we're gonna enforce this excrement.

The NFL is gonna apply this new rule to just domestic assaults? The NFL systematically fines and/or suspends guys based on mandatory minimums and the players importance to the league. Guys like Ray Lewis and Ben Roethisberger pay MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in settlements ie admissions of guilt for obstructing the investigation of a murder and multiple sexual assaults, respectively and they get slaps on the wrist.

I'm sorry, the second the NFL saw Rice lunch out his girlfriend he should have been suspended a year, at best. If any of you did that and your job saw that you'd be fired. And you all bust your derriere to pay your bills not live lavishly to carry a football. If Rice was some slapdick non-professional sports athlete he would have been in jail.

I'm so sick of this excrement. freak you Goodell, freak you NFL. How about using your freaking brains when you suspend someone or decide on a punishment instead of these stupid mandatory weeks suspended. Use your freaking brains. Don't give a 4 game suspension because someone smoked weed. Don't suspend someone 6 games becAuse he smacked his wife around...

How about you put every situation in a vacuum and look at every infraction case-by-case? And by that, take the players name out, take his "importance" to the league out. If Ray Rice beats the excrement out of his chick, don't suspend him 6 games because YOU HAVE TO, look at the facts and suspend him EXACTLY WHAT HE DESERVES.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:09:53 PM by guinness77 »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 04:13:25 PM »
Hats off? 

The NFL is gonna apply this new rule to just domestic assaults? The NFL systematically fines and/or suspends guys based on mandatory minimums and the players importance to the league. Guys like Ray Lewis and Ben Roethisberger pay MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in settlements ie admissions of guilt for obstructing the investigation of a murder and multiple sexual assaults, respectively and they get slaps on the wrist.

I'm sorry, the second the NFL saw Rice lunch out his girlfriend he should have been suspended a year, at best. If any of you did that and your job saw that you'd be fired. And you all bust your derriere to pay your bills not live lavishly to carry a football. If Rice was some slapdick non-professional sports athlete he would have been in jail.

I'm so sick of this excrement. freak you Goodell, freak you NFL. How about using your freaking brains when you suspend someone or decide on a punishment instead of these stupid mandatory weeks suspended. Use your freaking brains. Don't give a 4 game suspension because someone smoked weed. Don't suspend someone 6 games becAuse he smacked his wife around...

How about you put every situation in a vacuum and look at every infraction case-by-case? And by that, take the players name out, take his "importance" to the league out. If Ray Rice beats the excrement out of his chick, don't suspend him 6 games because YOU HAVE TO, look at the facts and suspend him EXACTLY WHAT HE DESERVES.

I have a question:

What if Nick Mangold lays out Michael Sam with a helmet to helmet hit, is that gay bashing and does it fall under civil right statutes?

BTW I totally agree with your post and gfy.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
I have a question:

What if Nick Mangold lays out Michael Sam with a helmet to helmet hit, is that gay bashing and does it fall under civil right statutes?

BTW I totally agree with your post and gfy.
If Mangold admits he is gay, it is domestic abuse.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »
If Mangold admits he is gay, it is domestic abuse.
Haha...well played.
I'm just sick if this excrement, and all Goodell wants is everybody to say, "look at how good of a guy I am." freak you.

If Bernard Pierce viciously beat his girlfriend the way Rice did, Goodell would have said "who's Pierce?" and suspended him for the year.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »
Hats off? 

Your right.  It is common sense.  However, how many domestic violence convictions have there been?  How many 6 game suspensions have there been?  Now it is predefined.  Get convicted, and get suspended.  So, hats off.  BTW, the NFL is older than Goodell, and so is domestic violence in the NFL.

This is bigger than the Ray Rice issue.

Edit:  It has to be predefined because of the union.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:41:41 PM by hawk »

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
I wasn't singling you out, I just happened to quote your post because I know a lot of people are applauding this.

If it's the union for this rule, then shame on them. I understand looking out for your constituents but this is protecting straight up criminals. My point was this has been going on way before Rice went batshitcrazy on his girl the league has been protecting guys like him since Rozelle was the commish. A mandatory sentence takes the burden off everyone and I hate that.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
I wasn't singling you out, I just happened to quote your post because I know a lot of people are applauding this.

If it's the union for this rule, then shame on them. I understand looking out for your constituents but this is protecting straight up criminals. My point was this has been going on way before Rice went batshitcrazy on his girl the league has been protecting guys like him since Rozelle was the commish. A mandatory sentence takes the burden off everyone and I hate that.
They're not protecting criminals, technically...

The NFL has no (direct) impact on the justice system.

The NFLs punishment is created to be supplemental to the justice system.

Of course our justice system is somewhat archaic, and based primarily on rules created hundreds (ish)  of years ago

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
^can someone translate this for me?

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
^can someone translate this for me?
Nfl doesn't protect criminals from the justice system

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »

I am applauding that has finally been done, like you said  "this has been going on way before Rice went batshitcrazy on his girl the league has been protecting guys like him since Rozelle was the commish". 

I am not saying this is a rule the union made.  I am suggesting that any ruling that is made by the NFL can be challenged by the union.  Therefore, a predefined ruling can help in the appeals process, and ultimately help reduce the number of instances.

I hate Goodell, but I will give him, his team, and the NFL props for finally getting this done. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »

Did you read the letter? It says:

.......violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant.

The NFL has set a guideline from which to start, with scope to adjust punishment in either direction dependent upon the specific circumstances of the case. That's pretty much how the Federal Sentencing Guidelines work.

Seems to me you're looking for something to be angry about.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
Just out of curiosity,

On fan bias, how different would you feel had Wilkerson beat a bitch instead of Ray Rice?

Would anyone still be "outraged"?

I don't particularly care much to begin with, but imagine I'd care even less