Author Topic: Report: Knicks hire Derek Fisher to be next head coach  (Read 8235 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Report: Knicks hire Derek Fisher to be next head coach
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 12:07:15 PM »
I said early last season that if the Knicks let Melo go, especially for no compensation, that would be it for me. I would have been mad to trade him, but I'll be furious to lose him for nothing, leaving STAT, Bargnani, Chandler, Felton and Smith in the starting lineup*.

This wasn't the same offer given to Kerr. Kerr was only offered 3 years. The media are talking about what everyone knows: Steve Kerr was too smart to come here and Fisher is going to be a Dolan lackey.

*On the other hand: lottery pick! ...for the Nuggets.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »
Steve Kerr was too smart to come here

Kerr didn't want to leave the west coast.  He really had no reason to. 

Golden State has a much better roster right now.  There's less pressure and he gets to be near his family. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
Hopefully the Knicks can work out a sign-and-trade deal for Carmelo Anthony if he decides to opt out. 

It won't really bother me if he leaves.  He isn't going to win anything in New York now.  That window is basically shut.

Can't blame the guy if he decides to go to Boston or Chicago to play with Love/Rondo or Rose/Noah. 

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 12:34:03 PM »
Kerr didn't want to leave the west coast.  He really had no reason to. 

Golden State has a much better roster right now.  There's less pressure and he gets to be near his family. 

I'm not arguing that Kerr went to a better overall situation besides not having to deal with Dolan, but Dolan absolutely was a factor in his decision-making.

Hopefully the Knicks can work out a sign-and-trade deal for Carmelo Anthony if he decides to opt out. 

It won't really bother me if he leaves.  He isn't going to win anything in New York now.  That window is basically shut.

Can't blame the guy if he decides to go to Boston or Chicago to play with Love/Rondo or Rose/Noah. 

I don't see why Melo would sign a deal to be traded away. That would take away players/picks from the team he's joining, when all he has to do is just leave. Do you mean because the Knicks can give him an additional year? I believe Melo when he says it's not about money. He's going to get well compensated wherever he goes, but he wants to win a title. He already crippled one in a trade. There's no reason to repeat that mistake.

I won't blame him one bit for leaving. I blame the Knicks organization.

Can you imagine being Carmelo Anthony today? Two weeks ago, the new team president asked you to not opt out after he just received $60M. Today, that same president gave his second choice head coach $25M. If I were Melo, I'd get Phil, Fisher, and Dolan on a conference call to tell them all to collectively kiss my derriere.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
I don't see why Melo would sign a deal to be traded away. That would take away players/picks from the team he's joining, when all he has to do is just leave. Do you mean because the Knicks can give him an additional year? I believe Melo when he says it's not about money. He's going to get well compensated wherever he goes, but he wants to win a title. He already crippled one in a trade. There's no reason to repeat that mistake.

He could negotiate with the team of his choice and that team could unload a draft pick (that would almost certainly be outside of the lottery) and a couple excrement contracts for the Knicks to take on for 2014-2015.

That would allow the Knicks to wipe the slate clean in 2015 and go after a couple high profile players. 

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »
He could negotiate with the team of his choice and that team could unload a draft pick (that would almost certainly be outside of the lottery) and a couple excrement contracts for the Knicks to take on for 2014-2015.

That would allow the Knicks to wipe the slate clean in 2015 and go after a couple high profile players. 

Why would the Knicks want to take on some more excrement contracts just for the privilege of sign-and-trading away their best player for a non-lotto pick? The slate is pretty clean after 2014-15 anyway. Amare, Chandler, and Bargnani will be off the books. Felton will almost certainly be traded for a bucket of wet towels. The only "bad" contract left will be Smith.

The Knicks are already in a very good position to retool after this upcoming terrible season. It's the only selling point they had for Melo (apart from one additional contract year).

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
Why would the Knicks want to take on some more excrement contracts just for the privilege of sign-and-trading away their best player for a non-lotto pick?

Because they can use those expiring contracts to make more trades later on.

It'd be better than throwing close to max money at Carmelo Anthony and not winning anything/losing Anthony for nothing. 

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
Because they can use those expiring contracts to make more trades later on.

It'd be better than throwing close to max money at Carmelo Anthony and not winning anything/losing Anthony for nothing. 

I guess I just don't see where the benefit is either way. The Knicks would be paying awful contracts for players they were waiting for to be gone. Melo has no need to sign-and-trade unless he really wants that extra year.

I'm not saying I wouldn't approve of it if they could make it happen, but I just don't see how it makes sense for either side. The only way Melo signs with the Knicks is if he intends to stay under the premise that when all that bad money comes off the books in a year, they'll bring in at least two top-tier talents with a win-now mindset. It's a huge risk for Melo if he's telling the truth that winning is more important than money.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
I guess I just don't see where the benefit is either way. The Knicks would be paying awful contracts for players they were waiting for to be gone.

A lot of teams do this when they know they won't be competing. 

If Anthony leaves, this team is going to be a dumpster fire next season.  It will be all about 2015 draft and free agency.

Melo has no need to sign-and-trade unless he really wants that extra year.

Of course he doesn't need to.  The organization should try this though.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »
A lot of teams do this when they know they won't be competing. 

If Anthony leaves, this team is going to be a dumpster fire next season.  It will be all about 2015 draft and free agency.

Of course he doesn't need to.  The organization should try this though.

This season is going to be a dumpster fire either way. It already is about about 2015 free agency. That's when almost every poorly spent dollar comes off the books anyway. I just don't see the reason to add more bad cash to the books when it's completely unnecessary.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »
I just don't see the reason to add more bad cash to the books when it's completely unnecessary.

1.  It isn't unnecessary if you can move those expiring contracts for picks and role players.   

2.  It isn't our money, so what does it matter who the spend it on if the team isn't going to win? 

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 02:53:37 PM »
1.  It isn't unnecessary if you can move those expiring contracts for picks and role players.   

2.  It isn't our money, so what does it matter who the spend it on if the team isn't going to win? 

Ah, I see where you're going with that. Okay, that makes more sense. I was thinking you wanted draft picks from the team we'd trade him to. Instead, we'd take on players in the trade who we'd then trade away later for picks/bench players.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »
Instead, we'd take on players in the trade who we'd then trade away later for picks/bench players.

Expiring deals are incredibly valuable in the NBA. 

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior

Nope.

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 12:42:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEWYTHQIBWo

Shoutsouts 2 JFIF 4 understanding the dearth of profundity that is Lil B. KD will never win a title with this guy around.

Tags: knicks