Author Topic: Dawgs  (Read 102599 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: Dawgs
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
She said it was leukemia and/or possibly a different type of lymphoma.  It's pretty early as 3 weeks ago her lymph nodes weren't even swollen and this Saturday they were. I am hopeful, my regular vet isn't an oncologist and prescribed Prednisone which may halt it a few months and really isn't a cure in the interim.

I will not put her through a ton of chemo and be in pain just to keep her around. If she can get a few years of good quality of life I will spare no expense, but I won't do it just to make me feel better.

If it's not aggressive, you can probably get some more time, but it's almost certainly going to involve chemo.  I'm sorry you have to go through those decisions.  That's awful.  One of my dogs growing up was poisoned by a neighbor, and as painful and awful as it was to go through, it wasn't as hard as the drawn out process.

klaximilian

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 01:41:23 PM »
I will not put her through a ton of chemo and be in pain just to keep her around. If she can get a few years of good quality of life I will spare no expense, but I won't do it just to make me feel better.
And for that, you're a great pet owner. I know some who keep the pet around while suffering for years just to make themselves feel better. They are in denial and say, "oh but I can tell my pet is still happy when they do (this) once a day/week/month"

Some people weren't meant to be pet owners. Part of it is being responsible and passionate enough to know when to pull the plug, rather than keep the pet around through years of agony for their own selfish reasons.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »
She said it was leukemia and/or possibly a different type of lymphoma.  It's pretty early as 3 weeks ago her lymph nodes weren't even swollen and this Saturday they were. I am hopeful, my regular vet isn't an oncologist and prescribed Prednisone which may halt it a few months and really isn't a cure in the interim.

Sorry to hear it man.  Let me know if you need anything.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
If it's not aggressive, you can probably get some more time, but it's almost certainly going to involve chemo.  I'm sorry you have to go through those decisions.  That's awful.  One of my dogs growing up was poisoned by a neighbor, and as painful and awful as it was to go through, it wasn't as hard as the drawn out process.

No doubt, but I don't want her to be hurting so bad, chasing the cats away from me isn't even fun any longer, I owe here more than  to put here through that.

And for that, you're a great pet owner. I know some who keep the pet around while suffering for years just to make themselves feel better. They are in denial and say, "oh but I can tell my pet is still happy when they do (this) once a day/week/month"

Some people weren't meant to be pet owners. Part of it is being responsible and passionate enough to know when to pull the plug, rather than keep the pet around through years of agony for their own selfish reasons.

Yeah that won't happen. She isn't in any obvious pain right now, just don't want her to be.

I knew she would be a great companion. The first night I had her on the bed, she wasn't any bigger then my palm, she took a healthy steamer right in top of my blanket. I started laughing. It isn't any different than what we do to each other on a daily basis.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
Sorry to hear it man.  Let me know if you need anything.

Thank you Bo

I know it's your job but is it ok if I have a question or two to PM you? I promise I won't be sending a thesis or anything. Just a few general questions. I also know you don't have her chart and history and wouldn't hold anything against you if you pass/can't answer.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:53:53 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

klaximilian

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
Yeah that won't happen. She isn't in any obvious pain right now, just don't want her to be.

It's easy to tell that it won't. I feel for you man.

I knew she would be a great companion. The first night I had her on the bed, she wasn't any bigger then my palm, she took a healthy steamer right in top of my blanket. I started laughing. It isn't any different than what we do to each other on a daily basis.

Hahahahahaha, you excrement on your dog's bed?

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »
It's easy to tell that it won't. I feel for you man.

Hahahahahaha, you excrement on your dog's bed?

I meant on this site here. lol

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 01:54:56 PM »

Thank you everyone for your support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »

Thank you Bo

I know it's your job but is it ok if I have a question or two to PM you? I promise I won't be sending a thesis or anything. Just a few general questions. I also know you don't have her chart and history and wouldn't hold anything against you if you pass/can't answer.
No problem. 

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »
Always wanted a dog, but taking care of one is a ton of work.
"Wrong!"

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 05:34:58 AM »
I'm going to be be adopting a dog soon, it will be my first one ever but my fiancé has had them all her life. We moved into our house a couple months back, and we've been waiting until the summer to get it. I'm fired up, but like Tommy said I know it's going to be a lot more responsibility than I probably realize.

klaximilian

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 06:50:45 AM »
I'm going to be be adopting a dog soon, it will be my first one ever but my fiancé has had them all her life. We moved into our house a couple months back, and we've been waiting until the summer to get it. I'm fired up, but like Tommy said I know it's going to be a lot more responsibility than I probably realize.

Congrats. You get used to it. Before you know it, it will be part of your every day routine and you won't even notice.

Take time to focus on the dogs training. It will shave years and years of endless frustration down the the if dog isn't properly trained.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 08:17:19 AM »
Congrats. You get used to it. Before you know it, it will be part of your every day routine and you won't even notice.

Take time to focus on the dogs training. It will shave years and years of endless frustration down the the if dog isn't properly trained.

Thanks, and the training is why I wanted to get it now for the summer when I'll have more time.  Most people I tell about how this is my first dog advise something very similar to what you just said.

klaximilian

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »
Thanks, and the training is why I wanted to get it now for the summer when I'll have more time.  Most people I tell about how this is my first dog advise something very similar to what you just said.

Yeah, I would expect the first year to be a lot of training and work (even though they are loads of fun when they are puppies) and after they get out of their puppy phase of tearing excrement apart, if trained properly, will be a complete joy and pretty low maintenance.

Good luck.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »
I don't know training dogs isn't that tough. My dog was a pain in the rear when she was younger but she learned fast. It's like kids, just be consistent and not mean.