Author Topic: Dawgs  (Read 102594 times)

klaximilian

Re: Dawgs
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
Here's the thing... I definitley want a puppy and have been pretty set on this breed for a few years now.  That's why I'm not considering adoption as much, because the dogs are usually older, and any English bulldogs put up for adoption are usually there because they have debilitating health problems.

I've been considering this for a few years now so the shock of the cost has faded but I'm still fully aware it's a huge sum of money when, like others suggested, I can get a perfectly good dog through adoption. 

The puppies I'm looking at get posted for sale this weekend, and I would have to put a deposit down then pay in full shortly thereafter.  Most people I know are trying to discourage me... not sure what I will end up doing.

Do what you want and don't let anyone make you feel guilty about not adopting. It's not the best choice for everyone, especially someone who has their eye on a particular breed and age when purchased.

Adopting a a great option when you just want a dog, and aren't picky about what kind.

At the end of the day, someone is going to buy the dog you want if you don't and opt to adopt. It might as well be you.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:42:54 PM by klaximilian »

klaximilian

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 12:42:21 PM »
thanks to everyone for their advice as well, thought this thread could at least be a place where people share stories/comments about their pets.

Pets do the weirdest things. I could write an epic novel based off of the odd excrement my chocolate lab does. She's such a dope. A cute one, but still a dope.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 12:43:11 PM »
I can't put a price on Tammy. I never had a kid because of life circumstances and she is every bit of that in my eyes and couldn't care less how ridiculous that may sound.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

klaximilian

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
I can't put a price on Tammy. I never had a kid because of life circumstances and she is every bit of that in my eyes and couldn't care less how ridiculous that may sound.

Nope, completely understand and agree. I'd give up friends before I give up my dogs. They are part of the family.

I have 3 kids now. Two just happen to walk on 4 legs, the other doesn't walk at all.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »
If that sounds ridiculous to someone, I don't want to know that person.
When my Shepherd passes it's gonna be the saddest day of my life, and I've dealt with plenty of human deaths. Saddest thing, I have to be strong because my daughter will be hurting tenfold. That's her best friend (and partner in most crimes) in the entire world.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
SFD, do they not have breed-specific rescues near you?  Don't go to the pound.  Rescues will go snap up every breed-specific dog they can and help get them ready for a good home.  If you're not in a tremendous hurry, you can go through the application process with a Bulldog rescue and then wait until one comes in that you like.  It's actually a much safer route than buying a puppy because the dog's temperament is known ahead of time.  I worked with a Boxer rescue in LA, and we'd get to know the dogs before pairing them with families.  It works out perfectly for everyone involved.  Plus, dogs that needed that extra rehabilitation to be ready for a new home got that.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »
Nope, completely understand and agree. I'd give up friends before I give up my dogs. They are part of the family.

I have 3 kids now. Two just happen to walk on 4 legs, the other doesn't walk at all.

I understand what Puck is saying completely, and my dogs were like my kids growing up, but if you still agree that you feel exactly the same about your dogs as you do about your son, I feel sorry for him.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
If that sounds ridiculous to someone, I don't want to know that person.
When my Shepherd passes it's gonna be the saddest day of my life, and I've dealt with plenty of human deaths. Saddest thing, I have to be strong because my daughter will be hurting tenfold. That's her best friend (and partner in most crimes) in the entire world.
You guys are pretty good friends so....this isn't meant to be a pity party, just saying what happened:

Like I said above, I just found out Tammy has cancer she is 14 y/o and was in great condition. My wife was sick at end of February, early March and in the hospital for 40+ days. Obviously, we couldn't pay attention to Tammy like we normally both do. I guess it was 3 weeks ago that I noticed she had lost weight and her hind legs were losing strength. I wasn't sure if Pekingese's have hip problems or not plus she needed her usual yearly stuff. She always had great bloodwork, this Vet has been taking care of Tammy since she was 2. It was a shock when she called me and said her WBC was way above normal.

Now I am waiting on biopsy results to consult with a vet oncologist and see if there are any treatments. I would give her 10 years off my life if I could, she has without a doubt given me as much if not more than that. It's hard to describe the difficult days she made better as it's been a pretty rough 8-10 years for me, neither here nor there. I am hoping because all her internal organs are in good condition there might be something that will halt the cancer.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

klaximilian

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 01:21:05 PM »
I understand what Puck is saying completely, and my dogs were like my kids growing up, but if you still agree that you feel exactly the same about your dogs as you do about your son, I feel sorry for him.

As someone who didn't have any kids, only dogs...for 6 years up until 3 months ago, I shared the same view as Puck. They were my kids.

Now, it should be obvious that they are not the same and that's a ridiculous comment to make.

Don't be an poopchute.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:35:23 PM by klaximilian »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
If it helps at all, I feel exactly the same way about all of your dogs as I do about all of your children.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
You guys are pretty good friends so....this isn't meant to be a pity party, just saying what happened:

Like I said above, I just found out Tammy has cancer she is 14 y/o and was in great condition. My wife was sick at end of February, early March and in the hospital for 40+ days. Obviously, we couldn't pay attention to Tammy like we normally both do. I guess it was 3 weeks ago that I noticed she had lost weight and her hind legs were losing strength. I wasn't sure if Pekingese's have hip problems or not plus she needed her usual yearly stuff. She always had great bloodwork, this Vet has been taking care of Tammy since she was 2. It was a shock when she called me and said her WBC was way above normal.

Now I am waiting on biopsy results to consult with a vet oncologist and see if there are any treatments. I would give her 10 years off my life if I could, she has without a doubt given me as much if not more than that. It's hard to describe the difficult days she made better as it's been a pretty rough 8-10 years for me, neither here nor there. I am hoping because all her internal organs are in good condition there might be something that will halt the cancer.

What type of cancer is it?  Given that you said her organs are in great shape, I'm guessing it's somewhat early if it's blood or bone?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
Leukemia?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »

My parent's dog had a bunch of tumors and was given a pessimistic diagnosis, but thanks to medication she's still kicking and doing well. She's also spoiled now because my family thought they were going to lose her and treated her like royalty the whole time.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 01:37:55 PM »
What type of cancer is it?  Given that you said her organs are in great shape, I'm guessing it's somewhat early if it's blood or bone?
Leukemia?

She said it was leukemia and/or possibly a different type of lymphoma.  It's pretty early as 3 weeks ago her lymph nodes weren't even swollen and this Saturday they were. I am hopeful, my regular vet isn't an oncologist and prescribed Prednisone which may halt it a few months and really isn't a cure in the interim.

I will not put her through a ton of chemo and be in pain just to keep her around. If she can get a few years of good quality of life I will spare no expense, but I won't do it just to make me feel better.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
Good luck dude.