Author Topic: Dawgs  (Read 103232 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Dawgs
« on: May 22, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
How much is too much to spend on a dog?
English Bulldog puppy, Male, 2 months old, from a legitimate breeder. Includes vaccinations and 1 year limited warrantee for health if you feed it their recommended brand of food.  Doesn't include 1st vet visit or neutering.

I'm not asking if I'm getting ripped off, but rather how much you would be willing to spend on a dog, because it is a very considerable amount of money.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Dawgs
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
Adopt instead.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »
You're looking at 2 grand, easy.
You're more likely to have a better behaved dog from a breeder but that's not always a guarantee.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »
Adopt instead.

I'm with Badger on this.  Unless you plan on it being a show dog, you can find an awesome pet for next to nothing.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »
I'm with Badger on this.  Unless you plan on it being a show dog, you can find an awesome pet for next to nothing.
You're looking at a couple hundred bucks even if you adopt and that's not including the shots, neutering or other early miscellaneous vet visits.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:56:45 AM »
You're looking at a couple hundred bucks even if you adopt and that's not including the shots, neutering or other early miscellaneous vet visits.

Typically if you adopt a dog, shots and other vet stuff are built into the adoption fee.

Our shelter cat cost us less than our free craigslist cat when all was said and done.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 12:00:08 PM »
Typically if you adopt a dog, shots and other vet stuff are built into the adoption fee.

Our shelter cat cost us less than our free craigslist cat when all was said and done.

I realize dogs are more expensive to adopt, but I rescued an 11 month old cat for $60, everything included.  In a year he'll need his boosters, but other than that it was well worth it.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
It also depends on whether or not SFD is wanting this particular breed....you're not strolling into a pound or adoption place and finding a purebred bulldog.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 12:10:27 PM »
It also depends on whether or not SFD is wanting this particular breed....you're not strolling into a pound or adoption place and finding a purebred bulldog.

Here's the thing... I definitley want a puppy and have been pretty set on this breed for a few years now.  That's why I'm not considering adoption as much, because the dogs are usually older, and any English bulldogs put up for adoption are usually there because they have debilitating health problems.

I've been considering this for a few years now so the shock of the cost has faded but I'm still fully aware it's a huge sum of money when, like others suggested, I can get a perfectly good dog through adoption. 

The puppies I'm looking at get posted for sale this weekend, and I would have to put a deposit down then pay in full shortly thereafter.  Most people I know are trying to discourage me... not sure what I will end up doing.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »
Do what you think is best.

I have a German Shepherd that's a purebred and, yes, I paid for her and, no, I don't regret one cent or one second I've spent with her. When she passes on we'll be freaking devastated. It's mine and my daughter's first dog and the thought of her passing sucks. In advance, I'm not trying to insinuate I'd love the dog any less if she was adopted, just that, I don't regret buying her, not one bit.

My cat is a shelter cat, and we really lucked out with him. He's the biggest mush of a cat I've ever met.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
The Manhattan Bide-a-Wees usually have useful websites and sometimes have purebreds.
The only problem is you have to find the particular dog you're looking for and then act fast. I think there are 4 locations. This would involve a lot of luck, though.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
I am at a crossroads with mine. We just found out she has cancer after I spent a ton on blood tests and vet visits. Don't let that deter you though. My life is a lot better off with her in it so money isn't an object. She is without a shadow of doubt the best pet I have ever had and my constant companion.

Anyway, adopt a dog but have the dog pick you. You will see, go to a shelter and you will meet a dog that instantly picks you. It's hard to explain but the best pets always do that. You can't really do that with a breeder, meet your new pet first. Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:39:21 PM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

klaximilian

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »
How much is too much to spend on a dog?
English Bulldog puppy, Male, 2 months old, from a legitimate breeder. Includes vaccinations and 1 year limited warrantee for health if you feed it their recommended brand of food.  Doesn't include 1st vet visit or neutering.

I'm not asking if I'm getting ripped off, but rather how much you would be willing to spend on a dog, because it is a very considerable amount of money.

Purebred? I'm not entirely sure, I think it varies so you may want to look into your specific breed. For reference, I spent $500 for a lab, purebred, papers, vaccinations...

I also spent $100(donated) on a mutt. Both dogs are worth far more than that to me.

If you're set on getting a puppy that's purebred, be prepared to dish out some cash. If you just want a dog (doesn't have to be puppy), look into adopting if your comfortable with that.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
A friend in CT recommended these places.

http://www.cthumane.org/site/c.8qLKK1MELjI2F/b.8472325/k.F86B/Locations_and_Hours.htm
http://www.thesimonfoundation.org/

thanks badge, I was going to ask if you had any recommendations. Local, even better.

thanks to everyone for their advice as well, thought this thread could at least be a place where people share stories/comments about their pets.