Author Topic: Rec Sports  (Read 47303 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Rec Sports
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
You don't even have to go back that far. Irfan is 7'1

I love cricket

I guess the international team i adopted was West Indies. I wish they had better bowlers. I'm big fans of Kieron Pollard and Chris Gayle

Chris Gayle is magnificent. I got married in St Lucia back in 2004 and just by sheer coincidence (not) England were playing an ODI against the Windies the following day just up the road, so a bunch of us went to watch it.

England put up a decent score in their innings, then for the first forty overs the Windies toiled and struggled and it looked like England would cruise to an easy victory. Then Chris Gayle woke up and started walking down the wicket to everything, hitting intended yorkers on the full and absolutely punishing everything outside off stump. The whole place started going insane and by the time the Windies won with two or three balls to spare I really didn't care about losing, the atmosphere was incredible and Gayle was a force of nature.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »
The West Indies pace bowlers of the 80s, Joel Garner (6'8"), Curtly Ambrose (6'7") and Courtney Walsh (6'6") say freak you. They could all deliver the ball (almost identical in size and construction to a baseball) at 100mph, and they do so from about the same distance away as the mound is from home plate, but unlike baseball they're also allowed to aim it for your body and head. And back then batsmen didn't wear helmets either.

Everyone who plays cricket in Queens is a tiny Indian man.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
Chris Gayle is magnificent. I got married in St Lucia back in 2004 and just by sheer coincidence (not) England were playing an ODI against the Windies the following day just up the road, so a bunch of us went to watch it.

England put up a decent score in their innings, then for the first forty overs the Windies toiled and struggled and it looked like England would cruise to an easy victory. Then Chris Gayle woke up and started walking down the wicket to everything, hitting intended yorkers on the full and absolutely punishing everything outside off stump. The whole place started going insane and by the time the Windies won with two or three balls to spare I really didn't care about losing, the atmosphere was incredible and Gayle was a force of nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »

Yep. he single-handedly carries his T20 team in the IPL (Bangalore), and it's amazing at times to watch. Literally a 1 man show.

Kieron Pollard has shown flashes of the same, he's just not as consistent. I bet on Mumbai last year in a T20 game and i looked dead in the water with about 6 or 7 overs to go. Then Pollard went on some insane tear where he had like 66 runs on 25 balls. It was fantastic.

T20 is like video game cricket, but it's kind of what got me into cricket. Test can be so conservative and wicket preservation based. Like I said in the other thread, I can handle and enjoy ODI particularly because of the great international collection of players but Test is just too much.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
2-1
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 08:21:13 AM »
It's the top level offered "tier 1" or "A league" but that doesn't really say much.  Open to 18+, there's a good mix of older guys and then most of the rest are ex college players, usually club. Most teams have 1 or 2 guys that played D1 or a high level of juniors.  Last summer there was a team of all 20 year olds and their coaches that was suprisingly difficult to play because it was a team of all Darren Sproles types giving it their max effort.  ESPN also has a team sponsored in my league but I'm not sure what affiliation their players have with the company.

That's cool. A lot of Russians have winter homes down here, we had Vladimir Malakhov and Valerei Zelepukin on my A league team for a spell. Zelepukin is a super cool guy, Malakhov was very quiet didn't say anything. VM was freaking gigantic one stride and he was half way up the ice it seemed. Fedorov and Mogilny play at a different rink and were supposed to play on my team but they never made any games.

Anyway, I hurt my back and haven't played in the A-league in 2 1/2 years, I would be too embarrassed at this point, even though I have a standing offer. Like you described too many 22 y/o Darren Sproles types for me. I wouldn't enjoy it as I am frankly not fast enough any longer and scoring 2-3 goals (if I was lucky) in a 15 game season would suck when I used to do that a game.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

NDMick

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
I play inline hockey in bk. I'm still new to the game, so I try to make small simple plays and leave the scoring to the top players. I started at 23. Best game I've ever played.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 10:30:08 AM »
I play inline hockey in bk. I'm still new to the game, so I try to make small simple plays and leave the scoring to the top players. I started at 23. Best game I've ever played.

Wait till you play ice. I started inline hockey @ 15 with my friends on the old Rollerblades that weighed 50 pounds each. We would play every day that weather allowed, even through the summer. It was awesome, I was lucky that I had 5-10 other kids that loved to play hockey like that. We would just skate to the schoolyard after we got home and have informal games. I played with some damn good players, it's a shame they didn't play ice at a young age, none of us did.

Jetaho

• Laveranues Coles
  • HAPPY BIRTH
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
all men vs all girls is a bit different. and i imagine their soccer team wasn't very good.

In Co-Ed rec sports, having athletic/skilled girls is what separates a team from anyone else usually.
If you have shitty girls it almost doesn't matter how good the guys are on your team.

Very true.  It also helps to have really fit, young, cute women on your team.  Makes it more "fun" for dirty old pervs like me.  The soccer is secondary.

And where does one play cricket "recreationally"?  And why would anyone consider such a thing unless they like parading around like a faggotty-assed prep schooler?

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »
Cricketers catch with their bare hands and the wicket keepers (equivalent of a catcher) wear almost no protective gear...all they have is what look like two oversized ski mitts.

That's the furthest thing from "faggoty derriere"

Jetaho

• Laveranues Coles
  • HAPPY BIRTH
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »
Cricketers catch with their bare hands and the wicket keepers (equivalent of a catcher) wear almost no protective gear...all they have is what look like two oversized ski mitts.

That's the furthest thing from "faggoty derriere"

Sorry, you look great.

klaximilian

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 01:56:35 PM »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »
Cricket is gay as hell
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
Michael Sam is tough.  And still gay.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »
Haven't played much competitively in years cause I'm paranoid about an old neck injury from high school. I've reffed a fair amount of soccer, though, nice way to run around and get yelled at for a few hours.