Author Topic: Rec Sports  (Read 47299 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Rec Sports
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
Cool, what kind of level is it? Is it ex college and JR. players? or is it total beer league?

It's the top level offered "tier 1" or "A league" but that doesn't really say much.  Open to 18+, there's a good mix of older guys and then most of the rest are ex college players, usually club. Most teams have 1 or 2 guys that played D1 or a high level of juniors.  Last summer there was a team of all 20 year olds and their coaches that was suprisingly difficult to play because it was a team of all Darren Sproles types giving it their max effort.  ESPN also has a team sponsored in my league but I'm not sure what affiliation their players have with the company.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

klaximilian

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »
I've been out of softball for about 3 years, not really interested in getting back in unless I get another team together. We had a solid team full of former players/coaches and we'd just smash on other teams while pounding back pitchers of beer. Now, we're all parents and mostly haven't swung a bat since.

I'm interested in joining an adult wood bat league, two games/wk on Sundays in the summer. Really want to get back to playing baseball.

I was going to join a flag football league this spring, but the guy who asked me put together the biggest team of slapdicks in the history of all slapdicks, It really wouldn't have been worth it to play with a bunch of guys who can hardly throw/catch.

Jetaho

• Laveranues Coles
  • HAPPY BIRTH
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »
I played in a co-ed soccer league, but stopped playing a few years back.  Every player was drafted/assigned based upon ability and you could only request to play with one other person (keep the husband and wives together).  We kept score, but there were no standings, playoffs etc..  At least 3 women (which could include guys over 50) had to be on the field at all times.  No slide tackles.  Red card for hat trick etc..

Namby pamby as Hell, but I liked it.  I'm done with ultra competitive sports (played in college) and just want to have a good time, hit the ball around, and get some exercise.  In spite of all this, I got really tired of mid-life crisis agro-dicks running around like idiots, not passing to the women, screaming at the ref, clipping my ankles, or purposely matching up with women to gain an advantage.  WTF dude - go play with the mexicans in the park if you want to get in fistfights and be a dick.  The final straw was this idiot who slid  into a keeper late and broke his leg a few years back.  The keeper wasn't a player - he was just there to have a good time and this guy just wrecked him.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »
Co-ed soccer sounds odd.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
Co-ed soccer sounds odd.

It's not. Because the girls who usually play of, played in high school or college.  And each team has equal number of girls and that are on the field at the same time. They're better than some of the guys.

most of these leagues are generally on a small, indoor type field.  fast and fun

Koz

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »
Co-ed soccer sounds odd.

And "cricket" isn't?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »
And "cricket" isn't?

Cricket's like baseball but for grown ups.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
Cricket's like baseball but for 5'1" Indian men.

FTFY

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »
It's not. Because the girls who usually play of, played in high school or college.  And each team has equal number of girls and that are on the field at the same time. They're better than some of the guys.

most of these leagues are generally on a small, indoor type field.  fast and fun

In high school, one of my friends was dating a girl who played on her school's soccer team. She said she and her teammates could beat my friend (and his friends, all of whom were not on soccer teams) in a match. They were wrong, they got destroyed.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
FTFY

The West Indies pace bowlers of the 80s, Joel Garner (6'8"), Curtly Ambrose (6'7") and Courtney Walsh (6'6") say freak you. They could all deliver the ball (almost identical in size and construction to a baseball) at 100mph, and they do so from about the same distance away as the mound is from home plate, but unlike baseball they're also allowed to aim it for your body and head. And back then batsmen didn't wear helmets either.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 01:48:46 PM »
Lolllll.  Sir Curtly Ambrose has to be the gayest name ever given to a giant black man.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 01:50:11 PM »
Lolllll.  Sir Curtly Ambrose has to be the gayest name ever given to a giant black man.

That's Sir Curtly Elconn Lynwall Ambrose to you.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »
That's Sir Curtly Elconn Lynwall Ambrose to you.

Whatever.  Dude can't touch Sydney Barnes or Imran Khan anyway.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »
The West Indies pace bowlers of the 80s, Joel Garner (6'8"), Curtly Ambrose (6'7") and Courtney Walsh (6'6") say freak you. They could all deliver the ball (almost identical in size and construction to a baseball) at 100mph, and they do so from about the same distance away as the mound is from home plate, but unlike baseball they're also allowed to aim it for your body and head. And back then batsmen didn't wear helmets either.

You don't even have to go back that far. Irfan is 7'1

I love cricket

I guess the international team i adopted was West Indies. I wish they had better bowlers. I'm big fans of Kieron Pollard and Chris Gayle
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:08:16 PM by JFIF »

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
In high school, one of my friends was dating a girl who played on her school's soccer team. She said she and her teammates could beat my friend (and his friends, all of whom were not on soccer teams) in a match. They were wrong, they got destroyed.

all men vs all girls is a bit different. and i imagine their soccer team wasn't very good.

In Co-Ed rec sports, having athletic/skilled girls is what separates a team from anyone else usually.
If you have shitty girls it almost doesn't matter how good the guys are on your team.