Author Topic: Draft scenarios  (Read 12370 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: Draft scenarios
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »
So I was contemplating....

Let's say all your top WR and CB targets are gone, no Evans, no cooks, no ODB no Ebron, no Gilbert.

Carolina comes calling, they are desperately trying to move up for Zach Martin, so with all your top guys off the board, you take the deal.

Who's your top target at 28?

If your top guy is gone, who are 2-3 more guys you'd be ok with landing?

Or would you say freak the trade offer, and stand pat and take somebody?

In this scenario, someone good had to fall to us unless no one drafted a QB before us.  That would be the worst case scenario- no QBs drafted before us.  The more QBs taken early, the better for the Jets.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »
In this scenario, someone good had to fall to us unless no one drafted a QB before us.  That would be the worst case scenario- no QBs drafted before us.  The more QBs taken early, the better for the Jets.

If 3 QBs and 4 OTs go before 18, we'll be in good shape
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »

Not necessarily, I posted this scenario a couple days ago,

Here's a scenario, in no particular order, these are the first 17 players taken, what do you do at 18

Clowney
Mack
Manziel
Bortles
Carr
Robinson
Watkins
Evans
Ebron
Gilbert
Matthews
Lewan
ODB
Cooks
Barr
Lee
Mosley

Obviously I doubt the board falls that way, but that's gotta be pretty close to a worst case scenario for us.

that has 3 QB's and 3 OT's going, there isn't necessarily "someone good" sitting in our laps. If we get a trade out offer in this scenario, I think we would take it.
Need a new one for a new board...

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »

That's kind of the point thought, you have to have a list of guys who you would be happy with in that scenario.

I like your list, but I'm going to add a name to ponder, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. I think if he hadn't been hurt he'd be a late 1st round candidate, now that he's healing, and showing off his speed, supposedly running a 4.56 at our facility, he might be in play at that slot...

In my mind, the teams that trade down that far are probably going to "reach" for a guy that they value higher than others. I don't think teams really say, "well, there's four or five guys we like, we can just take who's there."  In that line of thought, a "reach" for a guy like ASJ would make sense.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »
I'd go Cody Latimer, Xavier Su'a-Filo, and then Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Not for nothing, but what's with the massive love going on with Latimer lately?

He's a Size/Speed guy, with very little polish right now. Yes he's more ready than Stephen Hill was, but he nowhere near as ready as Jordan Matthews. If Matthews is still on the board, he has to be higher on the wish list than Latimer doesn't he?
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2014, 09:05:07 PM »
Not necessarily, I posted this scenario a couple days ago,

that has 3 QB's and 3 OT's going, there isn't necessarily "someone good" sitting in our laps. If we get a trade out offer in this scenario, I think we would take it.
Yeah, I agree.  I highly doubt Aaron Donald isn't gone by then.  And if he is there, we'll have a excrement ton of calls headed our way.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2014, 09:10:08 PM »

He's a Size/Speed guy, with very little polish right now. Yes he's more ready than Stephen Hill was, but he nowhere near as ready as Jordan Matthews. If Matthews is still on the board, he has to be higher on the wish list than Latimer doesn't he?

What are you talking about?  I'd say he's more of a possession player with deceptive speed than a developmental deep threat - he has upper level body control and a huge catch radius.  He gets in and out of breaks really well for a bigger target.  He has some work to do as a route runner.

If was able to participate fully at the combine, he'd be receiving a lot more hype. 

He is a monster over the middle and he hangs onto the ball through contact better than just about anybody in this draft.  The type of player that can beat you all over the field. 

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »

Latimer is far from Stephen Hill. The kid caught 70 passes last year and has better hands than "the polished one". Latimer is like Bortles in that people weren't watching him all year because no one thought he would go pro. When he did, his slotting was all over the map.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2014, 09:12:40 PM »

What are you talking about?  I'd say he's more of a possession player with deceptive speed than a developmental deep threat - he has upper level body control and a huge catch radius.  He gets in and out of breaks really well for a bigger target.  He has some work to do as a route runner.

If was able to participate fully at the combine, he'd be receiving a lot more hype. 

He is a monster over the middle and he hangs onto the ball through contact better than just about anybody in this draft.  The type of player that can beat you all over the field.

Good point about his ability to win all over the field. Some guys are big (Hill) but some guys play big. Latimer is the latter.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
Good point about his ability to win all over the field. Some guys are big (Hill) but some guys play big. Latimer is the latter.

He is being compared to Keenan ALlen - a comparison that I really like. 

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
I dont think Ive seen Latimer drop a pass, granted Ive only seen 4 of his games.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
I dont think Ive seen Latimer drop a pass, granted Ive only seen 4 of his games.

Zach Sudfeld's little brother is the starting QB at Indiana.  He's pretty damn good too.  I'll be keeping my eye on him over the next few years.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
Zach Sudfeld's little brother is the starting QB at Indiana.  He's pretty damn good too.  I'll be keeping my eye on him over the next few years.

Yeah I noticed that when Zach Sudfeld uploaded a photo of him and his bro practicing together. He has a pretty good arm and huge frame. Draft eligible next season I think

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

I think Idzik was at Bloomington for the pro day, FWIW.

If he's availble in Rd 3, I wouldn't think twice drafting him.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
I think Idzik was at Bloomington for the pro day, FWIW.

If he's availble in Rd 3, I wouldn't think twice drafting him.

Think he's gone by 2nd round

Tags: jets nfl draft