Author Topic: Late risers  (Read 4576 times)

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
Re: Late risers
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »
We have 2 extra weeks to see if a player has a meteoric rise to answer the Op's question. Right now, I don't see any names mentioned in this thread that should be drafted before the Jets's pick.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 05:20:03 AM »

It's not happening here, but I hate when people throw around the term "late riser" so liberally.

There's been a bit of that with Blake Bortles, from the people who never heard of him before January (and because he declared early, so he wasn't appearing in mocks before then).

EJ Manuel was a good example of a late riser, he was talked about as a mid-round pick for months then shot up to the first.

I agree, but for an expanded reason. Terms like this pop up not because the NFL teams are suddenly sliding these guys all the way up their draft boards, it's more so that outsiders are hearing things from teams (many if which have been set for some time) and adjusting to them. Much of the time it's just a way to excuse poor prior rankings.

Like look at Tom Savage, the guy hasn't done anything particularly great this offseason. I'd bet that a few journalists heard that 3or 4 teams had Savage way higher than expected so they started spreading "Savage flying up some boards" which turned into "Savage as a first rounder". He might be, but there could be 28 teams that think he sucks.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »
I agree, but for an expanded reason. Terms like this pop up not because the NFL teams are suddenly sliding these guys all the way up their draft boards, it's more so that outsiders are hearing things from teams (many if which have been set for some time) and adjusting to them. Much of the time it's just a way to excuse poor prior rankings.

Like look at Tom Savage, the guy hasn't done anything particularly great this offseason. I'd bet that a few journalists heard that 3or 4 teams had Savage way higher than expected so they started spreading "Savage flying up some boards" which turned into "Savage as a first rounder". He might be, but there could be 28 teams that think he sucks.

I was just about to post this.

Players rise and fall during the combine, interviews, and workouts, but I bet you most of these "meotoric rises" are coming from the journalists standpoint rather than the team's. 

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »
Back to the original point, what prospects do you see getting drafted too high before the Jets?

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »
Back to the original point, what prospects do you see getting drafted too high before the Jets?

I don't know if it's too high for him, but I could see Kyle Fuller going before the Jets.

DJ Hayden is probably the craziest rise of the past few years. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »
I don't know if it's too high for him, but I could see Kyle Fuller going before the Jets.

I thought Tyson Alualu, Darius Heyward-Bey and Tyson Jackson were both pretty damn shocking being selected that high. Yes we saw Jackson coming as it leaked out a day or two early, but it still felt stupid. DHB everybody speculated Davis would pick over Crabtree because he was fast but nobody I knew thought it would actually happen, then it did. Also now that I think of it, A.J. Jenkins was a pretty surprising first rounder as well.

On the topic of Fuller, I saw a mock yesterday that had Fuller going to the Jets at 18, as the first CB off the board and Gilbert going in the 20s. Of course it also had us passing on Ebron and Manziel falling to 19 where the browns traded up for him, and then Bortles went at 20 to Arizona. Wasn't a sound mock...
Need a new one for a new board...

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »

But Hayden was a beast, he just had the medical issue that held him down.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 08:02:11 PM »
But Hayden was a beast, he just had the medical issue that held him down.

He still rose like crazy right before the draft. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »

He still rose like crazy right before the draft.

Did he though?  We can't know that, though it seems that way.