Author Topic: The Jets Offense...ive  (Read 16407 times)

SI_Jetsfan

• Eric Smith
Re: The Jets Offense...ive
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »
Brian Winters will be better.

I'm curious why you say this.  I mean, I feel that way.  But it's because I thought for sure when we drafted him that he'd be a good pro.  So I guess my question is, what difference do you think there will be coming into camp that'll help him improve?  What does he really need to work on to get better and how?

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 09:26:56 AM »
For me, part of it is just optimism. We saw Slauson step in to a starting role in his second year and was serviceable. Winters didn't get the benefit of sitting and learning for a full season. And it's not like he can get any worse, right?

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »
I'm curious why you say this.  I mean, I feel that way.  But it's because I thought for sure when we drafted him that he'd be a good pro.  So I guess my question is, what difference do you think there will be coming into camp that'll help him improve?  What does he really need to work on to get better and how?

I mean, he had no experience at guard in college. Without too much guesswork, I'd say that pad level and hand technique are the biggest ways he can improve, and the biggest differences between playing tackle in the MAC and playing guard at the NFL level. He was consistently unable to win one-on-one matchups last year until the last couple games of the season, suggesting he just didn't have the technique down to handle the speed and strength of NFL d-linemen. But he was definitely improving at the end of the year in that regard - there is plenty to be optimistic about for his development.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 10:08:36 AM »

For me, part of it is just optimism. We saw Slauson step in to a starting role in his second year and was serviceable. Winters didn't get the benefit of sitting and learning for a full season. And it's not like he can get any worse, right?

That's what I've been thinking but the Jets can't rely
"Wrong!"

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 10:12:11 AM »

i dont remember but i broke down a pretty good take on Winters a month or two ago in a random thread, without knowing where it was i will re-cap.

Winters had two major hurdles to overcome last year. A) Level of competition in college/adjusting to the speed of the NFL B)changing position from OT to OG.  Combining both is a large task especially for someone who had late 2nd -4th rd pick written all over him. Add in the fact that both Brick and Mangold had bad years, its not like were to assume he had the elite support on both sides we assumed hed have.

Hes a former wrestler, which is a two sided coin. That usually comes with a relentless motor. The downside is though, unless theyre nearly perfect, they will revert to their instincts and start bending at their waist when locked up thus losing their base and ability to reset for another punch to re-establish their hand placement.

Me, Cane, Badger, Heismanberg, quite a few of us were lobbying for Winters in the 3rd, especially when we hadnt takent an OL up to that point. The only question I had was , will he be as strong and tenacious in the trenches as he was in college when hes face with the cream of the crop? He was, when he executed clean from a technical standpoint, he gets a solid push off the snap, and is athletic enough to chip off, seal and hit the next level.

Physically he can do it, but hes got some stuff to work on. Like what i mentioned with about the risk some wrestlers present.  sometimes he stops moving his feet to focus on being more aggressive up top when engaged. and the split second your not chopping your feet you can get put off balance, or just get stopped dead in your tracks.

He showed plenty of flashes, particularly in the run game, and looked overwhelmed at times in blitz pickups, but most OG's who arent elite prospects struggle with this initially. Later in the year his base looked cleaner in kick slides and trying to use his arm length  to re-direct bull rushes, in the pass protection game. It didnt always pan out great, but he made progress.

Im honestly more concerned with the RG spot, Colon was above avg at best last year and theres no telling if he can at least provide the same level of performance this year. after this year he has no business starting in the NFL unless he resurrects the ghost of Ponce De Leon and finds the fountain of youth.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
That's what I've been thinking but the Jets can't rely

They can't, which is why I still want them to draft a guard in the first 3 rounds.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 10:27:43 AM »
They can't, which is why I still want them to draft a guard in the first 3 rounds.

Ideally they should be looking to do that regardless of what they think of Winters. The other guard slot needs to be locked down ASAP, chances are Colon won't be nearly as good next year, so we need to get his replacement on our roster ASAP.

Of course we also need to get a top 3 round MLB in here who can take Harris place next year as well. To go with a Te that actually might be starting caliber a new young WR and a CB to play opposite Milliner. Sadly, we only have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds with which to go after those needs and BPA which appears will be Idziks strategy regardless.
Need a new one for a new board...

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »
I'm all aboard the Aboushi bandwagon at RG of the future.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
Will Campbell, bitches!

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »
They kept Campbell, Aboushi and Ijalana all year last year. I would have to think one will become good enough to be a starter this year or next, otherwise why keep them around?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
All jokes aside, give Campbell and Aboushi a little bit of time before writing them off. Just above someone discussed how Winters was basically baptized by fire last year, rather than getting a year to learn (thanks a bunch big ugly, enjoy Minnesota). Colon actually (assuming he's healthy) buys us even more time to allow them to learn.

I'd still like to draft at least one OL, but if Winters progresses, and either of those guys pans out, we're not in bad shape. (I believe Mangold and Brick will rebound.)
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »
They kept Campbell, Aboushi and Ijalana all year last year. I would have to think one will become good enough to be a starter this year or next, otherwise why keep them around?

This is how you end up with another 2005 or 2007.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
This is how you end up with another 2005 or 2007.
I'm not saying they don't have to bring in any other players. But if they're keeping those guys on their roster all season last year, you have to think one of them is good enough to step up either this year or next.

I expect another player to be brought in, whether in FA or through the draft. But it's not crazy to think that the developmental guys on the roster will....develop.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »
I'm not saying they don't have to bring in any other players. But if they're keeping those guys on their roster all season last year, you have to think one of them is good enough to step up either this year or next.

I expect another player to be brought in, whether in FA or through the draft. But it's not crazy to think that the developmental guys on the roster will....develop.

The reason they kept them all season is because they (Aboushi and Campbell) were projects, they wanted to see if they might have a shot at improving throughout a year and a second TC. In the case of Campbell if we see any kind of benefit before year 3, and by that I mean he's on the active roster, I'll be very surprised.

As far as Ijalana goes, I think they kept him around to be the guy that could be a depth player in the event we had an OL injury either to a starter, or to one of the dressed depth guys. That seemed to be their plan.
Need a new one for a new board...

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 12:16:21 PM »
The reason they kept them all season is because they (Aboushi and Campbell) were projects, they wanted to see if they might have a shot at improving throughout a year and a second TC. In the case of Campbell if we see any kind of benefit before year 3, and by that I mean he's on the active roster, I'll be very surprised.

As far as Ijalana goes, I think they kept him around to be the guy that could be a depth player in the event we had an OL injury either to a starter, or to one of the dressed depth guys. That seemed to be their plan.

Right. They are projects (Aboushi and Campbell).

As such, we can't just write them off after one season. This year's minicamp hasn't even started yet. I think it's only fair to at least wait a few months to see if their first offseason has allowed them to work on improving their game.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: jets