Author Topic: If a QB falls to the Jets in the first...  (Read 11343 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
If a QB falls to the Jets in the first...
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:33:36 PM »
Something that ive seen brought up a few times lately, what should the Jets do if one of the top 3 QBs fall to their first round pick ? Apparently people are suggesting this seems like a possibility

@RichCimini: That would add some drama to the proceedings, wouldn't it? They'd have to consider it, yeah, but I'd be shocked if they picked a first-round quarterback. From what I'm hearing, the most likely candidate to fall is Teddy Bridgewater. If that happens, the Jets would have to ask themselves this question: Is he that much better than Geno Smith that we absolutely have to pick him? I think the answer to that would be no. If they're close, why go there? I could see them picking a quarterback on the third day, but not the first. If a quarterback were to fall to 18, the Jets might be able to coax a quarterback-needy team (perhaps the Cleveland Browns at No. 26) into trading up.

How would you guys feel about us adding a QB in addition to Vick and Geno ?

I realize that Vick doesnt change our longterm plans at all whatsoever, but I feel like at this point it just makes more sense to add a receiver or a TE

Obviously if we grabbed a QB and it worked out its always a great move, but it just wouldnt seem wise to me to add another qb to the mix at this point

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: If a QB falls to the Jets in the first...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:36:12 PM »
I don't want Bridgewater over any of the receivers/offensive linemen/corners/safeties/tight ends worthy of that pick. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »
I'd take Bridgewater/Manziel/Carr. Or trade down with a team that wants a QB.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »
I'd struggle to see the sense in that.

If they fell that far in a QB needy league there's probably a reason

Taking a QB with our first after using our 2nd the precious year doesn't seem very smart. I get why Carolina did it ; Clausen literally showed nothing positive and Cam was too good a prospect to pass up. However I don't think it'd make sense in our situation since what this team obviously needs is playmakers. I think anybody would have struggled last year with the garbage we trotted out.

I also don't see any  can't miss prospects in this draft at the position. This QB class was really hyped early in the season but everybody has come back to earth to realize it's not all that great. Certainly some depth and potential but nothing like 2012.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:46:20 PM »
If they fell that far in a QB needy league there's probably a reason

I'll give you two reasons:

1.  Reggie McKenzie making decisions for Oakland
2.  Teddy Bridgewater is overrated

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:47:34 PM »
Manziel isn't falling that far so it's not even worth discussing. Carr probably not either and to be honest I'm not exactly sold on Carr especially with our weak skill position players. Teddy would be intriguing but I'd rather bolster the weapons on this team.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »
Carr probably not either and to be honest I'm not exactly sold on Carr especially with our weak skill position players.

What does that have to do with you being sold on Carr? 

He had a terrible offensive line, no running game, and shattered passing records.  Except for Davante Adams, he didn't have much to work with.  He was pretty good without Adams in 2011.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 11:50:23 PM »
I've thought teddy was overrated for awhile. Before this season started everyone was praising how great he was despite not really doing anything at the college level.

I just think now there's more of a realistic evaluation but perhaps maybe  too far on the opposite side of the hype train.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 11:51:49 PM »
What does that have to do with you being sold on Carr? 

He had a terrible offensive line, no running game, and shattered passing records.  Except for Davante Adams, he didn't have much to work with.  He was pretty good without Adams in 2011.

This is the NFL. Not Fresno state. And it has to do with him not being good enough to carry a team with minimal offensive talent. But that's not exclusive to him. It's the reality for almost any QB.

It's a moot point because I don't think Carr will be there.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:56:12 PM by JFIF »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 11:54:39 PM »
I've thought teddy was overrated for awhile.

Same

I just think now there's more of a realistic evaluation but perhaps maybe  too far on the opposite side of the hype train.

Just like the rest of these QBs, he's not elite.  He has plenty of flaws.  He was hyped up as this mechanically sound pocket passer.

He played in a dumbed down version of the west coast offense and his mechanics aren't elite.  He's certainly not a bad pocket passer, but his abilities were overhyped.  Bridgewater played in an offense very similar to what Josh Freeman played in at K-State. 

Except for Blake Bortles, all of the QBs fighting for top ten spots played in schemes that are hard to evaluate. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 11:56:40 PM »
This is the NFL. Not Fresno state. And it has to do with him not being good enough to carry a team with minimal offensive talent. But that's not exclusive to him. It's the reality for almost any QB.

Jeff Driskel > Derek Carr because he played at Florida. 

He threw 50 TDs surrounded by mostly excrement.  Not good enough to carry a team, my derriere.  Without him, that team wins maybe 4 games in 2013. 

I admit that he's not an elite prospect, but it's not because of the reasons you're brining up. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:59:30 PM by Heismanberg »

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »
The more I see Bortles the more I'm not sure about him. Matt Miller made some really good points and had some film on his footwork, and it was pretty awful. I think the Blaine Gabbert comparison was a little harsh, but i think he's also another guy who's stock rose too quickly and who's market might cool off a bit.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 11:58:57 PM »
The more I see Bortles the more I'm not sure about him. Matt Miller made some really good points and had some film on his footwork, and it was pretty awful. I think the Blaine Gabbert comparison was a little harsh, but i think he's also another guy who's stock rose too quickly and who's market might cool off a bit.

BleacherReportDraftScout*

Blake Bortles is a bigger version of Alex Smith - that's not necessarily a good thing

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 12:02:26 AM »
Jeff Driskel > Derek Carr because he played at Florida. 

He 50 TDs surrounded by mostly excrement.  Not good enough to carry a team, my derriere.  Without him, that team wins maybe 4 games in 2013. 

I admit that he's not an elite prospect, but it's not because of the reasons you're brining up. 

Jeff Driskel sucks.

I know you love the Carr family for some strange reason but his brother's career was ruined by lack of support around him. Him playing at fresno state obviously makes a huge difference because he wasn't playing against elite competition. Give him minimal weapons against NFL talent and you're not going to get the same type of success and potentially damage him permanently in the process. That's not necessarily an indictment on your golden child, juts the reality of any non super elite prospect. With that said, I don't like how Carr handles pressure from what i've seen. The more i see the more i'm weary about this QB class. I'm sure or two will end up being decent but it'll largely depend on the situation. I could see Carr doing well in Minnesota with a beast like AP and a guy like Patterson taking the heat off him.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 12:05:09 AM »
Jeff Driskel sucks.

I know you love the Carr family for some strange reason but his brother's career was ruined by lack of support around him. Him playing at fresno state obviously makes a huge difference because he wasn't playing against elite competition. Give him minimal weapons against NFL talent and you're not going to get the same type of success and potentially damage him permanently in the process. That's not necessarily an indictment on your golden child, juts the reality of any non super elite prospect. With that said, I don't like how Carr handles pressure from what i've seen. The more i see the more i'm weary about this QB class. I'm sure or two will end up being decent but it'll largely depend on the situation. I could see Carr doing well in Minnesota with a beast like AP and a guy like Patterson taking the heat off him.

A rookie QB won't be good without weapons?  And his brother wasn't good, so he can't be?  Tell me more.