Author Topic: Three London games approved for 2014  (Read 6485 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Three London games approved for 2014
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:44:27 PM »
Falcons, Jags and Raiders will be the home teams. The only way it can be us is if we finish in the same league position this year as the Jags.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
Re: Three London games approved for 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:47:50 PM »
What's the general mood in the UK regarding the NFL? I know you haven't lived there in a while, but you still have a lot of friends.

Based on my experience, I went to one of London's biggest NFL bars, and it was filled with mainly expats on football Sunday. For some stupid fuckn reason, the Brits that I did see were all Patriots fans.
"Wrong!"

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
because its easy to root for a team when they win super bowls and you've never seen the game before.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
What's the general mood in the UK regarding the NFL? I know you haven't lived there in a while, but you still have a lot of friends.

Based on my experience, I went to one of London's biggest NFL bars, and it was filled with mainly expats on football Sunday. For some stupid fuckn reason, the Brits that I did see were all Patriots fans.

For the same reason that Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool have a disproportionate amount of fans overseas - if you have no reason of geography or family to choose a particular team, you choose one you see doing well on TV.

There are plenty of NFL fans in the UK, but I'm on record as saying I think there's no way a London franchise succeeds. You will not get 90,000 people to Wembley on a Sunday evening 8 times a year; the England football team struggles to fill that stadium at times, so there's zero chance of American egg-chasing to do it. One game a year works well at the moment because it's a big event and everyone who's an NFL fan goes to see whoever is playing. You'll see all 32 teams' jerseys being worn and sold at an NFL Wembley game, and the atmosphere is very different to going to a game in the US.

London would be a big mistake.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »

For the same reason that Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool have a disproportionate amount of fans overseas - if you have no reason of geography or family to choose a particular team, you choose one you see doing well on TV.

There are plenty of NFL fans in the UK, but I'm on record as saying I think there's no way a London franchise succeeds. You will not get 90,000 people to Wembley on a Sunday evening 8 times a year; the England football team struggles to fill that stadium at times, so there's zero chance of American egg-chasing to do it. One game a year works well at the moment because it's a big event and everyone who's an NFL fan goes to see whoever is playing. You'll see all 32 teams' jerseys being worn and sold at an NFL Wembley game, and the atmosphere is very different to going to a game in the US.

London would be a big mistake.

Also, it would really suck for the Chargers to have to fly all the way to London for an Away game. Same the other way around.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »
That's one of a number of issues, not least of which is the problem of TV contracts and time differences.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »
That's one of a number of issues, not least of which is the problem of TV contracts and time differences.

That's not a problem. No one watches the Jaguars anyway.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 04:55:42 AM »

They only way I think it could work for the London team is they would play 8 straight home games, and 8 straight road games, thus allowing them to just stay here rather than going back and forth. Since as it is the NFL automatically gives the teams a bye week after making the trip once, could you imagine an every other bye week for a team in London. So they could travel out and around?

This whole experiment is going to fail miserably, I have no doubt
Need a new one for a new board...

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:22:23 AM »
I think there should be a team in the Caribbean somewhere. Imagine a trip to the Bahamas once a year for an NFL game - every seat could be a luxury seat catering to away fans. The Jags could move there without leaving their division!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »
I think there should be a team in the Caribbean somewhere. Imagine a trip to the Bahamas once a year for an NFL game - every seat could be a luxury seat catering to away fans. The Jags could move there without leaving their division!

You mean like the probowl

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
This is how we ended up with the excrement stadium we have now.

MAKE ALL THE THINGS LUXURIOUS

Wait, we can't? OK, just make some things luxurious but jack up the price on everything.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:55:54 AM by Badger »

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
I'd be pissed if I was a Falcons fan.  They have a sick home record usually.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »
Cowboys-Jaguars, Dolphins-Raiders, and Lions-Falcons will be the three London games in 2014.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
Cowboys-Jaguars, Dolphins-Raiders, and Lions-Falcons will be the three London games in 2014.

How much. Longer can we avoid the bullet?
Need a new one for a new board...

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »
How much. Longer can we avoid the bullet?
As long as we don't have to give up a home game I won't be completely annoyed.

Tags: