Author Topic: Jets didn't reach out to Darrelle Revis  (Read 44987 times)

Ignatius J Reilly

Re: Jets didn't reach out to Darrelle Revis
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
You didn't bold the next part, where I said you keep your cornerstones. Franchise QBs fall into that category, so do Hall of Famers on your defense that can either knock them down or take away their best WR.

Nobody knows what would have happened if we kept him for the year and he then hit the open market. Would he be more pissed about being traded or having to play 2013 for $10 million less than he wanted and got? We don't know. What we do know is it didn't work out very well for us in the end. Again.

We know Revis.  He would have gone to the highest bidder.  We weren't willing to pay him $12+ million now, just like we wouldn't have been willing to pay him $12+ million if he had stayed on.  It clearly wasn't something Idzik was interested in.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »
If Revis were such a cornerstone, why weren't more teams pushing down doors to offer him cornerstone money?

We don't know that! We don't know anything (except the things in the imaginary scenario where we magically kept Revis forever).

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
We don't know that! We don't know anything (except the things in the imaginary scenario where we magically kept Revis forever).

Right.  That's the part that's so bizarre about any continued argument in favor of keeping Revis.  It's all based on hopeful fantasy.  We had a great chance to see how all parties felt about each other.  Whether Revis was just shining on the Jets is irrelevant because Idzik refused to even field the calls.  It's not like any MORE damage was done in the past year.  The fact that he had no interest in trying to negotiate with Revis or put out any feelers shows how little we actually wanted him back.  I may not personally get not wanting Revis around, but it's the situation we're faced with.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #213 on: March 14, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
Right.  That's the part that's so bizarre about any continued argument in favor of keeping Revis.  It's all based on hopeful fantasy.  We had a great chance to see how all parties felt about each other.  Whether Revis was just shining on the Jets is irrelevant because Idzik refused to even field the calls.  It's not like any MORE damage was done in the past year.  The fact that he had no interest in trying to negotiate with Revis or put out any feelers shows how little we actually wanted him back.  I may not personally get not wanting Revis around, but it's the situation we're faced with.

some parts make sense. if we signed revis to the same exact deal the patriots did, everyone would be going nuts about the contract instability, his high demands, and the circus it will create next offseason.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #214 on: March 14, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »
Revis is just a rental for any team at this point.

Also, how many hall of fame players out there played for more than 3 teams before they hit 30?
"Wrong!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
Also, how many hall of fame players out there played for more than 3 teams before they hit 30?

Deion Sanders
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
Revis is just a rental for any team at this point.

If you count AFL, NFLE, and NFL training camps, Kurt Warner.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
some parts make sense. if we signed revis to the same exact deal the patriots did, everyone would be going nuts about the contract instability, his high demands, and the circus it will create next offseason.

My point was simply keeping him for last year when we had him signed for $6 million and then see what the market determined it would be when he became a free agent now. That's what I said then and and that's what I say now.

You all told me then that teams would be jumping to give him $16 million, someone said that earlier this week. As it was just pointed out, if we gave him $12 million and 5 dollars he'd have probably come here. Idzik has moved on, he got a pick for Revis and used it to replace him, so I can understand him not wanting to get in a bidding war with the Pats. I would have at least had a number in mind and had the conversation, but my whole argument with you guys is about what we did last off season, not necessarily now.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Right. So we would have had Richardson, but no Milliner and still no Revis. It isn't a wash at all, in all scenarios we would have no Revis this coming season, but with the way things worked out we have Milliner and Richardson, as opposed to Milliner or Richardson.

No matter how you slice the what ifs and maybes, we took the right decision at the right time and achieved the best outcome. The perfect outcome would have been for him to have fired Schwartz and Feinsod after being cut by Tampa, called Woody to personally apologise for previous issues and begged to sign a long term team-friendly contract with us, but outside of that little fantasy I'm not sure how things could have worked out better for us.

It could have worked out better for us if we signed him now after getting the pick for him and pairing him with Milliner, assuming Milliner works out.

The difference between us keeping him for 2013 and letting him hit the open market and what happened is we would have had all that time to deal with it and get a plan together, including the exclusive window teams had to talk to their own players. We know Revis would have gone to the open market, but the Jets would have had more than a few hours to get over their hurt feelings, look at their cap space and consider their options. True, we wouldn't have Milliner, a risk I would have taken.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
It could have worked out better for us if we signed him now after getting the pick for him and pairing him with Milliner, assuming Milliner works out.

The difference between us keeping him for 2013 and letting him hit the open market and what happened is we would have had all that time to deal with it and get a plan together, including the exclusive window teams had to talk to their own players. We know Revis would have gone to the open market, but the Jets would have had more than a few hours to get over their hurt feelings, look at their cap space and consider their options. True, we wouldn't have Milliner, a risk I would have taken.

You would prefer this route to the trade? I am sorry but please switch earrings that one is causing your Medulla Oblongata to shrink.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #220 on: March 14, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »
Revis wanted his magic $16M/yr number. He wasn't getting that here, unless we offered the same absurd deal that the Pats did where he's due 12M with a 20M option.

In reality it'll probably be a one year deal where he goes to the highest bidder again next year.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #221 on: March 14, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
You would prefer this route to the trade? I am sorry but please switch earrings that one is causing your Medulla Oblongata to shrink.

Remember, the season I wanted to keep him for is now over, so it's kind of pointless to keep arguing about what might have happened. Again, I think you plan for the coming season in the NFL and that's it. That's what New England just did, I think their track record shows they know what they're doing. That's what you do because everyone moves around too much. The days of the Walt Michaels five year plans are long gone. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:40:36 PM by Italian Seafood »

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #222 on: March 14, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »
Remember, the season I wanted to keep him for is now over, so it's kind of pointless to keep arguing about what might have happened. Again, I think you plan for the coming season in the NFL and that's it. That's what New England just did, I think their track record shows they know what they're doing. That's what you do because everyone moves around too much. The days of the Walt Michaels five year plans are long gone. 

They have Brady dude they can afford to. If they didn't have Brady and had a mediocre QB, Bellichick would have been fired 5 years ago.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #223 on: March 14, 2014, 03:46:25 PM »
Revis wanted his magic $16M/yr number. He wasn't getting that here, unless we offered the same absurd deal that the Pats did where he's due 12M with a 20M option.

In reality it'll probably be a one year deal where he goes to the highest bidder again next year.

The Patriots aren't paying him 20 mill next year.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #224 on: March 14, 2014, 03:57:58 PM »
The Patriots aren't paying him 20 mill next year.

Exactly, which is why I said in reality it's a one year deal.