Author Topic: Jets didn't reach out to Darrelle Revis  (Read 44990 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Jets didn't reach out to Darrelle Revis
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2014, 06:08:48 AM »
Considering we were 8-8 last season, I would say we weren't that far from it.

Everybody and their grandma still considered us not exactly a good team. Everybody thought we had the talent to win 6 at best, which is why Rex Ryan is still around. We need to seriously upgrade the talent across the board to make our chances of the playoffs  much better, and much easier to achieve.
Need a new one for a new board...

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »

not for nothing but can we build a winning team before we worry about being a perennial winner?

The league is too transient to build a perennial anything, most teams go year to year. You keep your cornerstones and fill in around them. That's why I was so pissed we traded Revis last year when we had him signed for $6 million for the coming season. You worry about next year next year, and look what happened. You think New England cares what he does next year? You think they will finish ahead of us again?
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2014, 10:18:56 AM »
The league is too transient to build a perennial anything, most teams go year to year. You keep your cornerstones and fill in around them. That's why I was so pissed we traded Revis last year when we had him signed for $6 million for the coming season. You worry about next year next year, and look what happened. You think New England cares what he does next year? You think they will finish ahead of us again?

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what we do in the draft since draft picks are so useless these days.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2014, 10:20:19 AM »

Do you think we would have finished ahead of them last year with Revis?  A one year rental is quite different when in New England's position.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »

Actually, the trade looks even better now. Revis would have made little practical difference to our season last year, he'd still have been a UFA, Woody would still hate his agents, we still wouldn't have paid him and he'd still have gone to New England, only that way we'd have received nothing. As it is we got Sheldon Richardson and an extra fourth this year for exactly the same outcome.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2014, 10:27:16 AM »

True franchise QB's make that statement false. The only problem is not many teams have one.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2014, 10:31:29 AM »
Revis would have made little practical difference to our season last year, he'd still have been a UFA, Woody would still hate his agents, we still wouldn't have paid him and he'd still have gone to New England, only that way we'd have received nothing.

Can you imagine what a disaster that would have been?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
Can you imagine what a disaster that would have been?

I was pissed for a few hours that we didn't pursue him on Wednesday. I'd have been pissed all season if he'd left us in FA and gone to New England.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
Holy smokes the absolute best thing that happened was that trade. It would have been the Japanese Tsunami for the Jets fans if they kept Revis and Woody told him to freak himself and he signed with the evil empire.

It worked out great this way. I was never upset the Jets didn't sign Revis, I also like the organization from Idzik up, flipped that bundle of sticks the bird.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2014, 10:50:01 AM »
Actually, the trade looks even better now. Revis would have made little practical difference to our season last year, he'd still have been a UFA, Woody would still hate his agents, we still wouldn't have paid him and he'd still have gone to New England, only that way we'd have received nothing. As it is we got Sheldon Richardson and an extra fourth this year for exactly the same outcome.

We could have still had Richardson, the difference is we wouldn't have Milliner. Either way we have the cap space and no corners now so it's really a wash.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2014, 10:52:02 AM »

We could have still had Richardson, the difference is we wouldn't have Milliner. Either way we have the cap space and no corners now so it's really a wash.

Except Milliner...who you just mentioned.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
True franchise QB's make that statement false. The only problem is not many teams have one.

You didn't bold the next part, where I said you keep your cornerstones. Franchise QBs fall into that category, so do Hall of Famers on your defense that can either knock them down or take away their best WR.

Nobody knows what would have happened if we kept him for the year and he then hit the open market. Would he be more pissed about being traded or having to play 2013 for $10 million less than he wanted and got? We don't know. What we do know is it didn't work out very well for us in the end. Again.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:57:55 AM by Italian Seafood »

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »
Except Milliner...who you just mentioned.

We hope.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »

Right. So we would have had Richardson, but no Milliner and still no Revis. It isn't a wash at all, in all scenarios we would have no Revis this coming season, but with the way things worked out we have Milliner and Richardson, as opposed to Milliner or Richardson.

No matter how you slice the what ifs and maybes, we took the right decision at the right time and achieved the best outcome. The perfect outcome would have been for him to have fired Schwartz and Feinsod after being cut by Tampa, called Woody to personally apologise for previous issues and begged to sign a long term team-friendly contract with us, but outside of that little fantasy I'm not sure how things could have worked out better for us.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2014, 11:00:51 AM »

You didn't bold the next part, where I said you keep your cornerstones. Franchise QBs fall into that category, so do Hall of Famers on your defense that can either knock them down or take away their best WR.

Nobody knows what would have happened if we kept him for the year and he then hit the open market. Would he be more pissed about being traded or having to play 2013 for $10 million less than he wanted and got? We don't know. What we do know is it didn't work out very well for us in the end. Again.

If Revis were such a cornerstone, why weren't more teams pushing down doors to offer him cornerstone money?
"Wrong!"