Author Topic: Rock Bowers  (Read 2986 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Rock Bowers
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2024, 09:15:31 AM »
Lock this thread and throw it in the ocean.

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2024, 04:51:15 PM »
there are loads of jet fans on the internet that want bowers at 10

these are fans of the same team who took kyle brady over warren sapp at 9

newsflash: there is a good possibility that both warren carter and max mitchell start at least 4 games this upcoming season. are you comfortable with that possibility? is the upgrade of bowers over a combination of conklin (who can actually catch) and ruckert (who is already a very good blocker, and arguably underutilized in the pass) worth that possibility? let me answer for you. it is not.

we end up 9-8 or something along those lines. we have a mid-late 1st rounder.

we will be down 2 starting OTs after this season. stalwart OT prospects do not fall in the draft. we will be sitting at like the 17th pick begging for the second tier OT to be available, and that would theoretically fill just one of our open spots.

if you don't have the foresight to understand that bowers is an unnecessary waste of the 10th pick, you better believe you will be hindsighting the pick when 1-2 starting OTs go down and we're out there watching max mitchell getting his derriere rocked while rodgers gets his derriere sacked. 

if Olu is there, he has to be the pick. if you're going to be dumb and not take him, then it has to be for one of the top WR talent. this can't be any more clear. would be the absolute last straw for me after many questionable, dumb moves by douglas.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2024, 06:54:40 PM »

newsflash: there is a good possibility that both warren carter and max mitchell start at least 4 games this upcoming season. are you comfortable with that possibility? is the upgrade of bowers over a combination of conklin (who can actually catch) and ruckert (who is already a very good blocker, and arguably underutilized in the pass) worth that possibility? let me answer for you. it is not.

we will be down 2 starting OTs after this season. stalwart OT prospects do not fall in the draft. we will be sitting at like the 17th pick begging for the second tier OT to be available, and that would theoretically fill just one of our open spots.

if you don't have the foresight to understand that bowers is an unnecessary waste of the 10th pick, you better believe you will be hindsighting the pick when 1-2 starting OTs go down and we're out there watching max mitchell getting his derriere rocked while rodgers gets his derriere sacked. 

if Olu is there, he has to be the pick. if you're going to be dumb and not take him, then it has to be for one of the top WR talent. this can't be any more clear. would be the absolute last straw for me after many questionable, dumb moves by douglas.
I'm convinced. Take the tackle.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2024, 07:13:14 PM »

Good post...100% agree
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2024, 08:17:04 PM »
You take Bowers over the tackle if you think Bowers is a can't-miss prospect that is a significantly better TE prospect than Olu is an OT prospect. If it's close, you go OT, WR or trade down.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2024, 11:07:30 AM »
You take Bowers over the tackle if you think Bowers is a can't-miss prospect that is a significantly better TE prospect than Olu is an OT prospect. If it's close, you go OT, WR or trade down.

This

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2024, 09:20:06 AM »
Rock Bowers go Brrrrrr
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2024, 09:34:50 AM »
Rock Bowers go Brrrrrr
Clock Bowers go tickity tok
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2024, 09:59:50 AM »
Rick Boners go splat

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2024, 10:16:25 AM »
Just for fun…. If Bowers puts up Sam LaPorta numbers from a year ago, what would be considered essentially historic for a rookie TE his numbers would be:

86 receptions 889 yards 10 TDs

For comparison….

Tyler Conklin 2023 stats with the worst QB room in football

61 receptions 621 yards 0 TDs

Is a top ten pick worth

29% more receptions and 31% more yards than Conklin could get with the worst QBs in the game throwing him the ball? One has to assume with competent QB play Conklin will be even better anyways, this narrowing the gap even more.

Unless Bowers is year 5 of Travis Kelce in year 1 (103 receptions for 1,336 yards and 10 TDs) he’s not a big enough upgrade to warrant using a top 10 pick on when we need other receivers and lineman far far more.

Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2024, 10:38:36 AM »
I feel like you're deliberately ignoring the most important statistical difference there.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2024, 11:15:28 AM »
I feel like you're deliberately ignoring the most important statistical difference there.

If you want to blame Conklin as the reason we couldn’t score all year, by all means. But if you put Sam LaPorta here last year how many TDs can he score with Zach, Boyle and Siemian? 3? 4? We couldn’t get near the endzone for 80% of the year and when we could we didn’t know how to score any kind of way.

So you are right, I excluded the TD portion of the discussion because I think Conklin (and everybody else in the receiving game) is good for another 5+ TDs since Zach threw like 20 total in 3 years
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2024, 11:18:27 AM »
If you want to blame Conklin as the reason we couldn’t score all year, by all means. But if you put Sam LaPorta here last year how many TDs can he score with Zach, Boyle and Siemian? 3? 4? We couldn’t get near the endzone for 80% of the year and when we could we didn’t know how to score any kind of way.

So you are right, I excluded the TD portion of the discussion because I think Conklin (and everybody else in the receiving game) is good for another 5+ TDs since Zach threw like 20 total in 3 years

I think that you can't just look at a yard is a yard is a yard. TEs generally don't make big plays, they're there for the dirty hard yards that make the difference between a first down and a punt. I'd be interested to see a comparison of first downs between Conklin and LaPorta, my guess is that it's pretty significant and a major contributor to how often Detroit made the RZ vs us, and thus to the number of TDs scored.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2024, 12:00:36 PM »
LaPorta had more TD as a rookie than every Jets tight end has combined for their entire careers. And last year was Conklin's career high for receiving yards and tied for his most receptions, and it still wasn't as good as a rookie LaPorta. Touchdowns can fluctuate year-to-year, but Conklin has never had more than 3 in a season in 6 years, while LaPorta had 10 as a rookie.

Conklin is a JAG tight end. We need a legitimate number 2 option in our passing game. I don't know if Mike Williams off an ACL is that guy right away. I think Bowers can be a perfect compliment over the middle of the field and on shorter routes. Even if we don't take Bowers, I think we should try to add another tight end (Sinnott? Sanders?).

To me, the questions with Bowers are
- Is Bowers a significantly better TE prospect than Odunze is a WR prospect or your favorite OT is an OT prospect? (maybe)
- Can you justify the positional value taking him in the top 10 since you're theoretically saving less money on Bowers than you would be with Odunze/OT if they become stars? (maybe)
- Do I trust Nate Hackett to use Bowers creatively? (not really, but maybe I trust Aaron?)

If you love Odunze or love one of the OTs, I think you probably have to go in those directions. But if you think Bowers is a significantly better TE prospect than the others are at their positions, then Bowers becomes a legit option. He can be your #2 receiver right away, just like Odunze would be. I know people here like AD Mitchell move than him, but I don't see Mitchell at 10.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2024, 12:02:23 PM »
Is Bowers a significantly better TE prospect than Odunze is a WR prospect or your favorite OT is an OT prospect? (maybe)

positional value says no

all the best tight ends in the league are not first rounders

most the best receivers are
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Tags: