Author Topic: Jets sign Tyron Smith  (Read 2058 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Jets sign Tyron Smith
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2024, 11:38:09 PM »
Risky signing

Riskier than rolling with Mehki Becton and Duane Brown at LT?
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2024, 11:39:18 PM »

Initial indications of the Tyron Smith deal: $6.5 million guaranteed with another $13.5 million to be earned based on playing time and other incentives. That’s why the Jets were surprised he took the offer.

Wow
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2024, 03:00:17 AM »
I was told offensive linemen didn’t want to play for Keith Carter
If he makes it to week 10 uninjured under Keith Carter...puck will sell you a shiny bridge.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 03:01:14 AM »
Riskier than rolling with Mehki Becton and Duane Brown at LT?
I guess we're used to not getting a full season from the LT position...perfect fit
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2024, 04:42:48 AM »

Basically if he’s healthy and a stud, we pay a premium. If he is poor as a player or injured for a ton of time, then we are protected.

I’d wager if he plays what he has the past few years 13-14 games, he probably gets $10-$12 million.
Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2024, 08:06:14 AM »
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
The playtime incentives for new #Jets LT Tyron Smith start at 38 percent, sources say. So at least a portion of his incentives are easily reached. He’s dealt with injuries and hasn’t played a full season since 2015 but his 13 games last year were his most since 2019.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2024, 08:09:59 AM »

So what I said is probably accurate. We are expecting to pay him between $10-$12 million, but if he plays all year as a stud he gets $20 million, and he’s probably saying he’s expecting to earn all $20 million

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2024, 08:19:22 AM »
So what I said is probably accurate. We are expecting to pay him between $10-$12 million, but if he plays all year as a stud he gets $20 million, and he’s probably saying he’s expecting to earn all $20 million

I'll be happy to overpay him. 

Maybe one of these "last resort" tackles still available can get slightly overpaid to be our swing tackle.  We are too old at tackle not to have reliable backups. 

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2024, 04:43:45 AM »
I’d be so thrilled to have to pay that man $20 million. Stay healthy.

Draft-wise, to me, this makes a few things possible at 10:

1. Stay and take Olu or Fuaga.
Olu still has work to do, so a good spot for him. Fuaga can start tomorrow and be a good player, but doesn’t have the huge upside. Both relatively safe and what I expect to see people go with in mocks.

2. Stay and take one of the big 3 WR.
Probably not actually an option because there’s almost no chance any of the big 3 will be there, but obviously it’s a move if one is. No other WR is worth #10, and in a deeeeeep receiver class it wouldn’t make any sense to reach.
* Bowers is an off-shoot of this. All obvious jokes aside, I’d put that entirely in Rodgers’ hands. If Aaron likes him and thinks he can make him into a stud in the offense, then go for it. 

3. Trade down for Mims.
Mims is a football Adonis. Most skilled tackle in the class with the least experience. I have no idea where teams value him, but I imagine it would be all over the map. Sitting for a minute would be fantastic because he has an all pro skillset.

4. Trade down for Fautanu.
Though honestly I bet his value is creeping up to 10ish. Short term guard/tackle swing potential with a permanent slot as the left tackle in 2025, though I understand some hesitance there.

5. Trade down for a WR.
If this is the plan, I’d want to secure the second round pick to get a BPA OL. A couple spots into the teens for a 3rd wouldn’t be worth it.

6. Trade UP for a WR.
Something I would have hated 12 hours ago, but if we can keep a 3rd and deal a 4 and maybe a future 3/4 or something to just get up to catch Odunze at 8? It’s on the table.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2024, 06:43:15 AM »
I’d be so thrilled to have to pay that man $20 million. Stay healthy.

Draft-wise, to me, this makes a few things possible at 10:

1. Stay and take Olu or Fuaga.
Olu still has work to do, so a good spot for him. Fuaga can start tomorrow and be a good player, but doesn’t have the huge upside. Both relatively safe and what I expect to see people go with in mocks.

Probably not actually an option because there’s almost no chance any of the big 3 will be there, but obviously it’s a move if one is. No other WR is worth #10, and in a deeeeeep receiver class it wouldn’t make any sense to reach.
* Bowers is an off-shoot of this. All obvious jokes aside, I’d put that entirely in Rodgers’ hands. If Aaron likes him and thinks he can make him into a stud in the offense, then go for it. 

3. Trade down for Mims.
Mims is a football Adonis. Most skilled tackle in the class with the least experience. I have no idea where teams value him, but I imagine it would be all over the map. Sitting for a minute would be fantastic because he has an all pro skillset.

4. Trade down for Fautanu.
Though honestly I bet his value is creeping up to 10ish. Short term guard/tackle swing potential with a permanent slot as the left tackle in 2025, though I understand some hesitance there.

5. Trade down for a WR.
If this is the plan, I’d want to secure the second round pick to get a BPA OL. A couple spots into the teens for a 3rd wouldn’t be worth it.

6. Trade UP for a WR.
Something I would have hated 12 hours ago, but if we can keep a 3rd and deal a 4 and maybe a future 3/4 or something to just get up to catch Odunze at 8? It’s on the table.
Good post, dude.

I'm still apprehensive about taking a TE in the top 10...i would prefer a trade down or one of the WRS/OL.

Saleh will probably convince JD to take Dallas Turner.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2024, 07:47:45 AM »
Good post, dude.

I'm still apprehensive about taking a TE in the top 10...i would prefer a trade down or one of the WRS/OL.

Saleh will probably convince JD to take Dallas Turner.

Assuming both players a TE and a WR are a “Hit” and are great players, it makes too much financial sense to go WR. With top tier WRs making $20-$30 million dollars now, a 5 year rookie contract on a WR is worth its weight in gold.

For that reason alone, WR makes so much more sense. The only way TE makes sense is if you feel he is so unique that he is a matchup nightmare all over the field and will be a top 5 TE from day 1, while any available WR is likely a low tier #2 at best
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 AM by Libero_2 »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2024, 07:48:24 AM »
We are not trading up in the first round unless we give up 2025 picks.  Too short on early round picks this year.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2024, 08:13:43 AM »
We are not trading up in the first round unless we give up 2025 picks.  Too short on early round picks this year.
Yeah, trading up makes very little sense to me.

If 4 quarterbacks go in the top 10, that means we are guaranteed a top-3 OT or a top-4 pass catcher (including Bowers). I see no reason to trade up unless the price is very cheap and Harrison/Nabers slips to like 8.

Trading down makes far more sense. Vikings at 11, Broncos at 12, Raiders at 13, Saints at 14. All 4 of those teams might want to draft a QB. All 4 of those teams might want to move up or teams might want to move up in front of them. If Penix/Nix gets steamed up, we have a perfect spot in the draft to trade down. We might even be able to pick up a free pick from the Vikings to move down one spot if we play our cards right.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2024, 08:29:51 AM »
Assuming both players a TE and a WR are a “Hit” and are great players, it makes too much financial sense to go WR. With top tier WRs making $20-$30 million dollars now, a 5 year rookie contract on a WR is worth its weight in gold.

For that reason alone, WR makes so much more sense. The only way TE makes sense is if you feel he is so unique that he is a matchup nightmare all over the field and will be a top 5 TE from day 1, while any available WR is likely a low tier #2 at best
My draftnik nature just balks at spending a 1st round pick on a non-premium position. We've never really been in a position to take a luxury pick that high.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2024, 10:00:36 AM »
Probably not actually an option because there’s almost no chance any of the big 3 will be there, but obviously it’s a move if one is.

You really think none of the top 3 would be there at 10? I feel like there's a solid chance at least 1 of them (not named MHJ) is.

Tags: